Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sye question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default sye question

I recently lifted my 96 cherokee about 4.5 inches and I can see spline on the output shaft of the tcase which makes me think I need an sye kit but I was wondering if I cld just get my drive shaft lengthened. Would that serve the same purpose?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

No SYE reduces driveline angles that cause vibes. I would get an STE if you can afford it. They are relatively cheap and worth the investment
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Theoretically a longer drive shaft reduces the driveline angle. That's the purpose of the SYE, to allow for a longer drive shaft. You could just get a longer one but it won't be as long as if you installed an SYE. Lengthening a drive shaft costs about $100, which is the same price as a HnT. Then you get a JY front shaft for the rear plus new u-joints and centering ball for less than $100. So doing a HnT plus a rebuilt shaft isn't much more than a lengthening and gives a much better result.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

A longer shaft is definitely a viable option. You might be able to find one from another XJ that will work. Need info: what year, trans, and rear axle do you have?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by aj2494
Theoretically a longer drive shaft reduces the driveline angle. That's the purpose of the SYE, to allow for a longer drive shaft. You could just get a longer one but it won't be as long as if you installed an SYE. Lengthening a drive shaft costs about $100, which is the same price as a HnT. Then you get a JY front shaft for the rear plus new u-joints and centering ball for less than $100. So doing a HnT plus a rebuilt shaft isn't much more than a lengthening and gives a much better result.
This is not the purpose of a SYE. A longer driveshaft is a beneficial side effect of the SYE however. The main purpose is to replace the stock rear driveshaft with a double cardon style with slip-joint in the shaft, like what is on the front.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

You can put a double cardon drive shaft in without doing an SYE. However it would still have a sharp driveline angle, and the only way to remedy this is to increase the distance between the t-case output yoke and the pinion yoke with an SYE. AKA allowing a longer driveshaft.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

That's what the double cardon is intended for, increased angles. Not all the SYE for the XJ make the shaft much longer. Only 1" gets cut off the output shaft on the hack-n-tap. And the same driveshaft will fit on front and rear.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

SYE- lip yolk eliminator
Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
SYE- lip yolk eliminator
Lol stupid phone
Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
That's what the double cardon is intended for, increased angles. Not all the SYE for the XJ make the shaft much longer. Only 1" gets cut off the output shaft on the hack-n-tap. And the same driveshaft will fit on front and rear.
This is getting dumb. I hate arguing with people on the internet. When it comes down to it, we're both saying basically the same thing when it comes to the OP's question. He needs an SYE. Running a double cardon on a stock output isn't the best way to go about it, and the added drive shaft length is important as well. So OP, it would be best if you did an SYE or a HnT and picked up an appropriate drive shaft for the rear.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by aj2494
This is getting dumb. I hate arguing with people on the internet. When it comes down to it, we're both saying basically the same thing when it comes to the OP's question. He needs an SYE. Running a double cardon on a stock output isn't the best way to go about it, and the added drive shaft length is important as well. So OP, it would be best if you did an SYE or a HnT and picked up an appropriate drive shaft for the rear.

And here's your winner!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Y'all are both right, everybody wins! haha

But really, you need a SLIP YOKE ELIMINATOR, to eliminate the slip yoke. Once lifted, your driveshaft is pulled farther out on the slip yoke, creating more strain on the transfer case output bearings, which can cause premature wear. Also if you have enough droop in your rear suspension, you could potentially pull the whole driveshaft off the output shaft. Now that wouldn't be good.

Benefits of a SYE:
1. Allows both ends of the driveshaft to be securely mounted with the slip yoke in the middle of the shaft
2. Allows the installation of a Constant Velocity driveshaft to allow steeper driveline angles.
3. Allows a slightly longer driveshaft, however the lift is the biggest factor in what determines length requirements.
4. Gives you the option to remove a broken rear shaft on the trail and drive home without spilling transfer case fluid everywhere. Or even better, a single spare can be used on the front or rear.

Side notes: You will need to shim your rear axle, to change the pinion angle. A CV shaft needs the rear pinion to be pointing at the output shaft. Versus a fixed driveshaft, which needs horizontal pinion and output shaft angles.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 PM

What shaft would I need to get for the rear if I installed an sye?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

You could either go custom or pick up a front drive shaft from an automatic XJ. If you get a used shaft, I would rebuild it with new u-joints and a centering ball kit. I went full custom, but that's just me.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 PM

The people I know that went with a front drive shaft. Went with a custom one shortly after they installed the front. I would just get a custom one made and be done with it.

Quick Reply: sye question