Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumped... need some advice please.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Stumped... need some advice please.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have enjoyed so much of what I've read here, thought I would throw my little "issue" in the mix and see what shakes loose.

First the Jeep... '01 Sport, winch, lights, locally fabed front bumper, 4.11/1 front and rear, AW4 auto w/ 231J case, Tom Woods rear cv drive shaft w/ slip yoke eliminator kit, 31x10.5x15's (currently), RE 3.5 lift (extended brake lines, front sway bar disconnects, etc. etc.). There is soooo much more I want to do but need to get what I have working correctly first (correctly being the operative word here) LOL

I am a local technician in an independant repair shop and have been in the business for many years... In other words, I know some and still have a lot to learn!

The issue: I'll make this as brief as possible, Purchased a Tom Woods rear drive shaft kit several years ago, it came w/ a slip yoke eliminator set up that I'm sure most of you know replaces the stock output shaft in the transfer case and has a bolt up yoke.
With this kit came 2 seals for the tail shaft housing (yoke seals) their intention was that you glue both seals in the tailhousing stacked back to back since the stock Jeep driveline seal was incorrect for their new yoke.
I couldn't get them to seal or stay in the housing for that matter, they would just spin right out after about 5 miles and make one heckuva mess.
I contacted them and they were somewhat cool about it and sent me a tail housing (matching mine) with seals installed (same style and brand).
They leaked too but not nearly as bad, just a drip or two. Nothing a little brake cleaner and rag couldn't handle.This was acceptable since, at that time, the XJ was a recreational vehicle, Sunday wheelin runs, pulling the pop-up etc. Circumstances have changed and now it is a daily driver as well as my get away and play vehicle and the seals aren't fairing the added stress well. They are PUKIN!

I have contacted every seal distributor at my disposal trying to match measurement specs. for the housing seal seat and yoke to find one that will do the trick and just can't find one... I'm at a complete loss. If any of you guys (or gals) have had experience w/ this companys products and can offer some solution I would be eternally grateful.

Not sure how to post pics here, but if you would like to e-mail me for a visual of the issue I would be happy to share and learn. kjp40.05@gmail.com

Thanks for your time and reading my diatribe!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Wow... I got a better response from a bunch of Toyota guys I know here in town.
Thanks anyway...
Old 12-18-2011, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post pics and you might get a better response.
"go advanced" and click the paper clip.

I'm not entirely sure where it is leaking, and without knowing anything further, I suggest RTV.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Weekends are tough, lotta peeps probably out beating their rigs. Someone running that setup will be on sooner or later I'm sure. Is the seal leaking or is it coming through the splines?