Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The straight scoop on intake modifications!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default The straight scoop on intake modifications!

Hello! I'm new, and have been roaming around this forum for the past several weeks, and more recently the past several hours looking at upgrades to improve horsepower and fuel economy.

I have a 97 sport.

I will be installing a 99+ intake manifold, a Jeepersandcreepers.com 62mm throttle body, making a heat sheild for a cold-air intake (that doesn't cost $200), and last but not least exchanging the stock injectors for a better spray pattern and atomization.

NOW ITS IMPORTANT FOR ME TO NOTE THAT I AM AWARE I AM MAKING SOME FORUM-GOERS' BLOOD BOIL BY RESURRECTING THIS TOPIC, BUT I HAVE BEEN LOST FOR 4 HOURS SEARCHING AROUND MUDDLED , CONFUSING , CONFLICTING THREADS AND POSTS REGARDING THESE INJECTOR SWAPS.

I understand that the dodge/Chrysler 703's are an option, with a 4-hole pattern instead of 1, but I've heard talk of a single-hole injector which is a drop-in, and which atomizes BETTER than the 4-hole injectors.

My simple question is this:

What is THE BEST FUEL INJECTOR for a lightly modified (~19-20 lb/hr) 97 4.0?

Thanks, and I hope I haven't elevated blood pressures too much.

If it helps, I'm a picture heavy kinda guy! And I'll be posting.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by highvoltagefeathers
Hello! I'm new, and have been roaming around this forum for the past several weeks, and more recently the past several hours looking at upgrades to improve horsepower and fuel economy.

I have a 97 sport.

I will be installing a 99+ intake manifold, a Jeepersandcreepers.com 62mm throttle body, making a heat sheild for a cold-air intake (that doesn't cost $200), and last but not least exchanging the stock injectors for a better spray pattern and atomization.

NOW ITS IMPORTANT FOR ME TO NOTE THAT I AM AWARE I AM MAKING SOME FORUM-GOERS' BLOOD BOIL BY RESURRECTING THIS TOPIC, BUT I HAVE BEEN LOST FOR 4 HOURS SEARCHING AROUND MUDDLED , CONFUSING , CONFLICTING THREADS AND POSTS REGARDING THESE INJECTOR SWAPS.

I understand that the dodge/Chrysler 703's are an option, with a 4-hole pattern instead of 1, but I've heard talk of a single-hole injector which is a drop-in, and which atomizes BETTER than the 4-hole injectors.

My simple question is this:

What is THE BEST FUEL INJECTOR for a lightly modified (~19-20 lb/hr) 97 4.0?

Thanks, and I hope I haven't elevated blood pressures too much.

If it helps, I'm a picture heavy kinda guy! And I'll be posting.
Welcome to the forum.

First of all if you have an intake with a heat shield it doesn't mean it's going to suck in cold air. It's going to suck in warm, engine bay air. A cold air intake is what you get by drilling into the cowl, running the intake pipe into the cowl, and pulling the cold air from outside the engine bay and is considered a "cowl vent snorkel" by some. The other way to get cold air is a true snorkel.

As far as the injectors you will need the 784's for a 97. 91-96 is 703(Which I have installed on mine) and 97+ is 784's

The 99+ intake manifold I have installed on mine as well and is a good mod. When you pull the old manifold off check your headers for cracks since they're prone to that and you have to remove the bottom header bolts to get off the intake manifold anyway. This would be a good time to upgrade your headers as well.

GL
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

yes, I love the little ricer kids who take their airbox out and just out a filter on the intake tube for their little civics and integras. Don't you understand you aren't helping anything. "Yea, I have a cold air intake" civic owner says with this configuration. "no, you don't" I reply. "Yea, see the shiny tube and the filter??" he replies. "do you realize the engine gets hot? do you realize that the air your engine is breathing is the same temp as the air under the hood, which could bee several hundered deg? So, that being said, you do not have a cold air intake you stupid ignorant fast and furious wanna be, you actually have made things worse than the factory did, you in fact, made a warm air intake." Moral to that story is, you have to have cool air flowing from outside the engine compartment to get the best fuel economy and you can get that from doing a snorkle, running a hose to the cowl to breathe cool air, and that will give you the best benifit for that particular problem. As far as the injector goes, I have no idea
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Everywhere I look says that for 96-99 I need 703s or 710s (710s don't fit the clipnut). Everyone says something different!

And I fully understand the uselessness of an unsheilded cone filter in the middle of the engine bay.
I'll be running some sort of ducting either from the empty slot for the left fog light, or the left side of the grill, to scoop some cooler air into the compartment with the air filter, and I'll try to get the best seal possible around the hood and paneling to keep hot air out.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Everywhere I look says that for 96-99 I need 703s or 710s (710s don't fit the clipnut). Everyone says something different!

And I fully understand the uselessness of an unsheilded cone filter in the middle of the engine bay.
I'll be running some sort of ducting either from the empty slot for the left fog light, or the left side of the grill, to scoop some cooler air into the compartment with the air filter, and I'll try to get the best seal possible around the hood and paneling to keep hot air out.
I could be wrong then they might have changed the injectors in the 99+ like the intake manifold. "evilxj" is a injector vendor on the forum look him up and he will hook you up with the details.

As for running an intake downward to cold air is a very, very bad idea. If you plan on wheeling your rig you're going to be going through water. That lower cold air intake is going to suck up water and hydro lock you engine also it is going to get really dirty and you are going to be constantly cleaning it. Always get cold air from up at least above your fenders. The cowl is perfect for this.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

^x2
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

^^^what he said on the cowl, I have mine set up that way an works great.

I have a 98 with the 703's. 784s were a different connector IIRC.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM

I really appreciate all this input!

So it looks like the cowl intake is the way to go... although this does involve drilling a rather fat hole in the firewall...

And the 703s look good. I'm PM'ing evilxj to see if he has any to send me.

In the meantime, if anyone has a spare 99+ intake manifold, I'll nab it!

Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

I really appreciate all this input!

So it looks like the cowl intake is the way to go... although this does involve drilling a rather fat hole in the firewall...

And the 703s look good. I'm PM'ing evilxj to see if he has any to send me.

In the meantime, if anyone has a spare 99+ intake manifold, I'll nab it!

Thanks!!
PM this guy instead he needed 784's and accidentally got 703's
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/injector-mess-128067/

Drilling into the firewall is not that complicated. Just start small and dremel or grind it wider to what suits you.
Here is a good write up on a home brew cowl snorkle.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...snorkle-67919/

There are also a couple different companies who offer the cowl intake one called Spectre and another called Thor.

For the Intake Manifold contact "programbo" on the forum he sold me mine looking brand new. You will need to pick up some vacuum line tubing from Pep Boys(they sell it by the foot) to reroute your vacuum lines. You will also need to lengthen your IAT sensor and do a little fab work to remount your fuel line to the intake manifold. While you have the Intake manifold off take a peak at the gasket and make sure it looks okay and before putting the new Intake manifold on apply some copper gasket spray. The bottom header bolts are going to be a pain in the *** for you and take a lot of patience. Make sure you have a 14mm or 15mm(can't remember) ratcheting wrench. This makes torquing and untorquing those underside bolts a lot easier. If it is not tight your engine will have a vacuum leak and it will be at high rpm's at idle. If this happens take it off, reapply the copper gasket spray and torque it down again.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM

I'm looking into it and I love the look of the spectre intake, although the rather small cone filter makes me nervous, must let alot of crap through to let eanough air through for the claimed performance gains, but its whatever :P. Others have run it with (so far) no issues, I'll just have to keep it charged well.

And its not the physical aspect of drilling a hole in the cowl that has me worried, that'll be a cinch.
Its what my dad will think of me taking a 3" holesaw under the hood :P.

Copy that with regard to the injector and manifold source, I'll PM them and see what I can get! Stuffs expensive, connections are nice.

I've seen the copper gasket sealant, and will definitely invest in some.

And I know about pain in the *** rusted fasteners :P just takes time.

Thanks for all the advice!