Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the fever for a Jeep. Got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Got the fever for a Jeep. Got some questions.

My brother has an 88 with some new 30 x 9.50 wild countries so we decided to test them out today. I just got a huge pay raise at work so I think I now have the fever for an older model cherokee myself after going for a spin with him. Around my location in North Alabama I can find the late 80's models for around $1000 so I'll probably have one before too long. Now onto the mods. I know the non HO 4.0 has 13 less HP than the 1991 or 92 and up ones. Could I put the better head, Throttle body and intake manifold on a non HO model? My brother just had to change motors and was told his new motor is out of a 92 model but his sometimes idles up and down. It also shuts off sometimes right after flat footing it up through rough terrain. Can the HO motor be directly swapped to an 88 model or is he mistaken?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

HO was introduced in 90. should be able to get one for around $1000
the body style is exactly the same just save yourself the headache and buy a 90-96
Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 AM

Year: 1988

I am glad to hear you have Jeep Fever. Good news is it isn't deadly. The bad news is the medication, or as the locals call it, modification, gets expensive.

There is a thread here based on symptoms that can... well, enough with the metaphors. lol.

There is a thread called junkyard parts something or other. I personally wouldn't use junkyard parts, but it is great to find things that work. Such as a Durango steering box and tie rod. Stronger, faster, better. As for the model, I have a renix 88. The majority of people do a conversion to an open system, which i know little about so far. This is to make it more like the HO version. I'd just get one a little newer because, well, you can.

Also, when looking, check for rust everywhere. I saw a dealership trying to sell one that, when I looked under it, and the places a lot of people don't see when glancing, was littered with rust. Now that is a bad prognosis. Anyway, I am not to sure about motors, namely because I never dealt with one, at least relating to a jeep. As for other mods, I know that i did one mod, on my 88, and the change was amazing. The 703 fuel injectors. Throttle responce was greatly improve.

When your brothers jeep cuts off, does it sound like it is not getting fuel?or how does it seem to die? We, the Jeep Doctors of Cherokee Forum, may be able to get your Jeep Fever a start, and come up with a nice prognosis on his jeep. You might even get it tied up in a nice bow.

Let us know what you come up with, and if you get your jeep, you better be prepped with pictures.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM

His Jeep seems to sound fine when he shuts it off. However when he cranks it up it takes a good full second and a half to start. He says these older jeeps are always doing that though so IDK. He's owned about 3 or 4. It runs as strong as the 2 other HO models he had befoe seemks like. BTW what are the 703 injectors? Are they out of something else or are they aftermarket?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Year: 1988

703's are out of a Neon, the have four holes instead of one.

Mine takes a bit to start as well, i thought there was more to it than that.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 stroked to 4.7

Originally Posted by Atmos
HO was introduced in 90. should be able to get one for around $1000
the body style is exactly the same just save yourself the headache and buy a 90-96
X2 on this! I ran with an 89 for years... Switched to the 94 and never looked back!