Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a stock manifold or aftermarket header?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Is this a stock manifold or aftermarket header?

I assumed this is the stock exhaust manifold
Because it was on the jeep when I got it, but a guy that came by to buy some old parts from me said it looked like an aftermarket header. You guys know best so please let me know what it is. Also can it be welded? There is a very small crack in it that I'd like patched while I have it out. Thanks!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Is this a stock manifold or aftermarket header?-image-1476850238.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Stock mani... they're built like a header
Old 05-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming. Do you know if it can be welded? I know some stock manifolds can't be welded.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

Yes it can be welded
Old 05-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

+2

I replaced mine w/ an APN manifold/header. Ended up w/ two because one had a hole in it. Took both the stock manifold and the APN header to the exhaust shop and they hooked me right up.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:04 PM

Received 157 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Well, I removed my exhaust manifold today and discovered it has a crack. Are these any good:

Old 01-03-2023, 06:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Have yours welded?
Old 01-03-2023, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Have yours welded?
I can try. It's a small crack but it seems around here it is tough to get someone to weld stuff. I have a shop that pressed some bearings for me awhile back. I'll visit them and see if they can do something.

It's cracked here:

When I tried to weld mine back in the 90's(88 XJ), I put too much heat to it and warped so when I went to install it, it didn't line up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd love to save the money vs buying new.

Last edited by Old Man Minimalist; 01-03-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:59 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Welding is a band aid fix at best. It might last a little while, but it will crack again, right where it did before, or at the edges of the weld.

This is also the time to check your motor and transmission mounts...
The following users liked this post:
Old Man Minimalist (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Welding is a band aid fix at best. It might last a little while, but it will crack again, right where it did before, or at the edges of the weld.

This is also the time to check your motor and transmission mounts...
Well, I'm not interested in band aid fixes. I am planning on replacing the entire exhaust system and seeing about adding a piece of flex in the downpipe. I'm also going to replace the engine and trans mounts while I'm at it.

I'm looking to build a reliable Jeep that doesn't have me constantly reworking areas because I took a shortcut. So far I have gone to OCD lengths in rebuilding this thing.

I may still ask about welding it and see what they say though I trust you when it comes to welding.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:37 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Don't get me wrong, welding can be done, plenty have done it, myself included. I'm of the mind of if you're already in there, have the header removed, just replace it. That way you KNOW it's good. It would suck to have to rip it all apart a year later for the same bull****. Ask me how I know lol

Edit: a manifold similar to this can be had for anywhere from 80-150 shmeckles online...pretty inexpensive piece of mind IMO

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 01-03-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by roninofako
Don't get me wrong, welding can be done, plenty have done it, myself included. I'm of the mind of if you're already in there, have the header removed, just replace it. That way you KNOW it's good. It would suck to have to rip it all apart a year later for the same bull****. Ask me how I know lol

Edit: a manifold similar to this can be had for anywhere from 80-150 shmeckles online...pretty inexpensive piece of mind IMO

Used that same one from Amazon for $86 about four months ago.. .zero issues so far and fit/finish was perfect compared to the stocker it replaced.

Stocker was cracked 3/4 of the way around the entire pipe collector where all the primaries all join at the bottom... and the motor mounts although looked fine when i took them out to replace while I was doing it, they crumbled apart and were the root cause

Last edited by FlyinRyan; 01-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan
Used that same one from Amazon for $86 about four months ago.. .zero issues so far and fit/finish was perfect compared to the stocker it replaced.

and the motor mounts although looked fine when i took them out to replace while I was doing it, they crumbled apart and were the root cause
I have been trying to ascertain if my motor mounts are good or not but really can't tell. They appear to be intact though they do not look perfectly centered in the steel. Could be that they are like that or it could be that I can't see the broken down rubber. Given that they are most like factory originals, it wouldn't hurt to replace them.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Old Man Minimalist
I have been trying to ascertain if my motor mounts are good or not but really can't tell. They appear to be intact though they do not look perfectly centered in the steel. Could be that they are like that or it could be that I can't see the broken down rubber. Given that they are most like factory originals, it wouldn't hurt to replace them.
If they are in good shape still and factory I say leave 'em alone.
I don't think OEM ones are still available, not sure though, and aftermarket OEM type seem to be hit or miss.
Then all the upgraded ones, Brown Dog and etc, seem to be hit miss on the reviews.
Not the quality but vibrations.
Some guys report none.
Some guys a little and don't care. Mostly guys who actually wheel their vehicles.
The DD guys seem to say that more.
But then again......
Old Man Minimalist (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Man Minimalist
Just by looking at them while they were bolted in on my 99 they looked fine. When I had to remove the intake plenum to replace the cracked up exhaust manifold and seen all the room there was to replace the mount easy, I figured why not. Then I discovered how bad that mount was. If I had left it alone it would still be bolted in looking like it was in good shape and probably over time destroy the new exhaust manifold I just put in. I then replaced the passenger side mount as well and that one was actually wasn't that bad of shape.

Quick Reply: Is this a stock manifold or aftermarket header?