Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 97+ fan ratings? Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Stock 97+ fan ratings? Upgrades?

So my question is, What are the stock cfm ratings on a Stock 97+ (99 if it makes a difference) Mechanical/Electric fan setup at idle? Im asking as it was a 98 degree day with 98% humidity but said it felt like 109 degrees on the forecast and my jeep was sitting at 225 degrees in traffic and when i got home i hit the thermostat housing with my friends laser thermometer and was at 230 degrees and the gauge being at 225 (assuming thats the line past 210) But in cooler temps at times with a good chunk of idle time it will hit those temps as well, Wont go past but just sit there and being ocd about stuff i think thats a little toasty myself. So what is the stock cfm of the mechanical fan at idle and maybe the cfm of the aux fan. I dont know if the electric fan has variable speeds or not, But if i were to upgrade to an all electric fan setup. What is a great setup? Multiple setups are fine, Bang for your buck or homebrewed. I heard of a 3 fan setup floating around here thats like close to 300 dollars but it has everything you need for it to work. And test results would be awesome. I know it may be unnecessary to go all out like this as alot would just say stick a heavy duty fan clutch on it and call it a day, But i like to make things difficult and like to be fancy and try to make my jeep somewhat modern with electric fans and try not to get past 210 degrees.

So what are some suggestions? There is the taurus/volvo fan around here and an excellent video made by nickintimefilms on youtube who did the volvo fan, bmw sensor and volvo fan controller and it seemed to be a great setup apart from the fact you need to tap new threads into an adapter as he did and if i remember he also had an aluminum radiator with an open port where he stuck it too so i wouldnt know where to stick the sensor after. Also he had a home made fan shroud as well. Id really like to see a drop and go kit but there may not be such a thing made.

This may be a stupid thread but i like to see whats out there thats updated. I read a few threads on this but alot of links are dead or alot of threads were 5+ years old. Id really like to upgrade because this isnt the first time we had extremely hot days like this and i dont like my jeep sitting that high in the temp range i like a little wiggle room instead of living right on the border like that. It feels like thats all the system has to give and if it was any hotter itll overheat or overwork the system, That and also heatsoak the living hell out of it too. I just hate having excessive heat in the engine bay as itll maybe ruin a sensor or reduce the life of something or maybe the engine as well. These are hot engines yes i understand but its frickin 2018 we should have something to solve this lol. Factory system works yes but i feel it can be improved as hot areas really suck for jeeps. Plus looking at how things may go i may end up having a trailer soon too!!! Also this is all with ac blowing too incase thats a factor because i REFUSE to be in florida with a car that has no ac! nope no thanks p*** off with that nonsense it aint happening.

Edit: I shouldnt say it hits 230 everyday just today as it was scorching hot and it never budged past that. It hovers around 220. 230 is an extreme temp as i was in this temp in stop and go traffic with ac blowing cold on high. so its very rare cases it hits this temp but normally itll hit 220 on good hot days just today im brushing it off as an excessive hot day in the baking hot sun in stop and go traffic with high humidity and temperature around other frickin hot cars too lol.

Last edited by EEVEE; 05-04-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

heh whats the chances of googling to find this image thats extremely close to what mine was at today
Old 05-04-2018, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

and wont post the picture how fantastic......
Old 05-05-2018, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Have you overhauled the cooling system? New water pump, radiator, thermostat, etc?

Dirtbound Offroad has a triple fan shroud, but honestly I think the stock XJ fan clutch will flow as much or more air, and a ZJ (grand cherokee) fan clutch will pull way more air
Old 05-05-2018, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Have you overhauled the cooling system? New water pump, radiator, thermostat, etc?

Dirtbound Offroad has a triple fan shroud, but honestly I think the stock XJ fan clutch will flow as much or more air, and a ZJ (grand cherokee) fan clutch will pull way more air

basically yes. everything should be working top notch i just want a little wiggle room as this happens alot in florida.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

http://gunscarstech.com/overheat

Now that that's out of the way...
I chased that all last summer. Flush, replaced the fan clutch, replaced the water pump, and it finally went away after replacing the radiator.

Now, I'm not saying that the radiator was my entire problem, because it wasn't. The clutch was definitely bad, the water pump was flaking, and the coolant wasn't really the right color. But doing all those did not have much effect on the temps. I finally put in a new radiator and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

in figured my gauge is wrong past 210 companies make it to where it says that to shut customers up. I want accurate readings! but yes as stated i want wiggle room lol. my cooling system is fairly new still and redoing the water pump seal my water pump looks brand new still along with the radiator. this is mostly idle tho once i got moving my temps dropped right down to 190 again then let it sit in the driveway for 20 mins to see if it did it again it took a while but it did touch 230 but stayed there and hasnt budged. meanwhile im baking and overheating in the sun so i said screw it and went inside for a cold thing of mountain dew. but i also stated yes i can do with a new fan clutch but im difficult and would rather utilize an all electric setup and see where that puts me at. and maybe score colder ac in the process