Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Have Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Still Have Death Wobble

What I've replaced: Trac Bar (solid on both the axle and frame), U joints, control arms, TRE at pitman arm.

What's been done: Tires have been balanced many times, the front end has been aligned by a good shop as well.

What's already good: Ball joints, and outer TRE's, wheel bearings.

I've tried my buddys tires, thinking that my tires were bad, and still got the wobbles.

What should I have my caster set to? I have adj. control arms. I have an appointment with my guy at the shop next week and we're gonna spend an hour aligning and testing different caster angles to see what works. Moose's 4x4 in WI said around 5*

I've read the big thread on all about death wobble but I am still lost. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Everything in this picture that is highlighted is suspect in death wobble.. Check/replace whatever you haven't, but obviously be thorough, it ain't cheap to replace your whole front end..
Attached Thumbnails Still Have Death Wobble-image-3198330214.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM

this doesn't answer the OP though, and isn't really a straight forward answer, what should my caster be set at? thank you for trying to help
Old 07-04-2012, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Caster changes with lift size, so without specifics your not going to get the answer your looking for here. Heres some specifics, hope it helps.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: Straight 6 ; 4.0L

I had the same problem. I replaced the entire frount end and realized that the problem was broken motor mounts. I replaced all three and it rides great now
Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 PM

I'll check the motor mounts, thanks
Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM

should I have the toe in set at 1/8"?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad motor mounts will not cause death wobble. Vibration maybe. But not death wobble. I would set cast at about -6. Toe in 1/8 to 1/4" depending on what size tires you are running. A professional alignment shop should have already set both of these. How do you know your track bar and TREs are good? How did you check them? With the tires on the ground Watch under the jeep while you have a friend yank the steering wheel back in forth. I say yank because sometimes smooth movements won't show the weak link. I garauntee you see movement in your track bar, one of your steering knuckle TREs or ball joints. Also jack up the tires off the ground. Push in and out, up and down on your tire. Possibly a bad unit bearing.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: Straight 6 ; 4.0L

Actually a bad motor mount will cause it because ive experienced it. I had the death wobble so I replaced the entire frount end steering and suspension. The wobble didnt go away untill I replaced both motor mounts and the transmition mount
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Nope. Not death wobble. Period. Enlighten me please on how engine Torque affects axle and tire alignment.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is death wobble:

Has nothing to do with vibes from you motor mounts being shot to ****.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by NMCherokeePilot
Actually a bad motor mount will cause it because ive experienced it. I had the death wobble so I replaced the entire frount end steering and suspension. The wobble didnt go away untill I replaced both motor mounts and the transmition mount
Yeah that's not death wobble. You'll crap your pants when you feel death wobble. The vibrations of bad motor/trans mounts are far LESS severe than death wobble. I've experienced both. And although you'll get bad vibrations out of worn mounts, like mentioned above, that does not affect your steering/suspension.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Year: 1995 &2000

Originally Posted by lukeandjakejeep
What I've replaced: Trac Bar (solid on both the axle and frame), U joints, control arms, TRE at pitman arm.

What's been done: Tires have been balanced many times, the front end has been aligned by a good shop as well.

What's already good: Ball joints, and outer TRE's, wheel bearings.

I've tried my buddys tires, thinking that my tires were bad, and still got the wobbles.

What should I have my caster set to? I have adj. control arms. I have an appointment with my guy at the shop next week and we're gonna spend an hour aligning and testing different caster angles to see what works. Moose's 4x4 in WI said around 5*

I've read the big thread on all about death wobble but I am still lost. Thanks.
Five to nine degrees and make sure your axle is dead center with the adj trackbar. Make sure your pinon angle is right that will cause death wobble also if its to far down, what size lift you running?

Last edited by nickxj94; 07-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM

Year: 2000

i am having this same problem...i just replaced my trac bar but dont have an adjustable one...would an adjustable one possibly fix it? and my ball joints have some play also would this be a factor...going 70 down the interstate and getting the wobble was not fun..thanks and sorry to intervene on your thread man
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by SCSjeeper1994
i am having this same problem...i just replaced my trac bar but dont have an adjustable one...would an adjustable one possibly fix it? and my ball joints have some play also would this be a factor...going 70 down the interstate and getting the wobble was not fun..thanks and sorry to intervene on your thread man
Get your ball joints fixed and go from there.

An adjustable track bar is necessary if you have a lift. Stock one doesn't really cut it. But if there are other worn components (like your ball joints), an adjustable track bar isn't going to miraculously solve it.

Quick Reply: Still Have Death Wobble