Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 04:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Steering Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm a noobie but I've done lots of research, read lots of threads and think I've narrowed down my steering to either CavFab high clearance crossover with the heims $219, or the Ruff Stuff 1 ton Y link kit with the tie rod ends $425. Can't decide which. Also trying to decide on a trackbar, (looking at Rubicon Express and Ruffstuff).

CavFab seems top notch, but I've heard here and there heims can wear out quick. Ruff Stuff also has some great reviews, and have their "Cure" to prevent tie rod roll and other issues, but still retains the Y-link and uses TREs, and their welded kit is much more expensive!

Currently stock other than 2inch budget boost from previous owner and slighty larger tires. Not too distant future plans are 4.5 lift (looking at CavFab 3 link or BDS long arm maybe) and 33s. I'll make another thread asking about that stuff later.

Anyone have any sage advice on which kit to get? Other options to consider? Advice on a trackbar? Do I need a trackbar drop bracket? I'm not a welder (someday!) so am limited to pre-made kits. Please help this noob out!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

I would wait till you do the lift.

If you set it up now, then when you put on the lift, the drag link will need to be longer, and it may have to be changed.

No need for such things with only 2" lift.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have 5.5" coils with 35s and the v8 ZJ steering setup with a 1" drop Pittman arm has been working fine for me. For the track bar I am running the Rubicon Express adjustable track bar with the bracket, and the brace that ties it in on the passenger side, it's been a very good setup so far. Track bar problems are very common on lifted Jeeps so that's one area I didn't care to spend the money on a good setup.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
I would wait till you do the lift.

If you set it up now, then when you put on the lift, the drag link will need to be longer, and it may have to be changed.

No need for such things with only 2" lift.

You mean I might need a whole different drag link? I know I would have to adjust and align everything again after the lift, if that's what you mean. My steering currently is pretty vague, with some minor wobbles, so I was thinking of just doing steering now to tighten it up for now, do the lift later. I'm also planning an 8.8 swap along with the lift so it's going to be a big project, not gunna happen for awhile.

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I have 5.5" coils with 35s and the v8 ZJ steering setup with a 1" drop Pittman arm has been working fine for me. For the track bar I am running the Rubicon Express adjustable track bar with the bracket, and the brace that ties it in on the passenger side, it's been a very good setup so far. Track bar problems are very common on lifted Jeeps so that's one area I didn't care to spend the money on a good setup.
Thanks! I'll take a look into ZJ steering as well.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by Mocha
You mean I might need a whole different drag link? I know I would have to adjust and align everything again after the lift, if that's what you mean. My steering currently is pretty vague, with some minor wobbles, so I was thinking of just doing steering now to tighten it up for now, do the lift later. I'm also planning an 8.8 swap along with the lift so it's going to be a big project, not gunna happen for awhile.

Thanks! I'll take a look into ZJ steering as well.

You could, depending on the setup you go with

this might help ya for now......https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2008.html

same for the track bar....it'll need to be longer
Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 PM

This is the Cavfab kit I was looking at, I'll check with them if it has enough adjustment going from 2" to 4.5" lift or if there's a minimum lift requirement. You're right about the trackbar, I'll wait to get one after the lift.

http://cavfab.com/CavFab-Jeep-CrossO...JMJ_p_105.html

Anyone use the Cavfab kit have any feedback? Any issues? Longevity of the heims?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl.

some places hiems are illegal for street use , as said before do the lift first , check out currie correctlynk, just like stock but heavy duty.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by srb53150
some places hiems are illegal for street use , as said before do the lift first , check out currie correctlynk, just like stock but heavy duty.
Yes, have you studied the Currie steering system? I like mine very much (4” lift on 32s)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the lift size and tires. Talked to some group members local to me and one has been running 5.5" of lift and 35's for 2 years on ZJ steering, and has yet to trash that setup himself so for the price (>$150) that's the one I went with. Being that my jeep is still a DD, I didn't want to risk any issues running anything crazier than I needed to. I'm piecing together a 3.5" OME lift and went with a Clayton double sheer trackbar and mount myself. From what I've gathered in my research, I also decided to beef up the steering box bracket, and picked up a kit to tie the whole front end together that also has bracing for the snout of the box tied in to it. I figure that by the time I break some (or all) of that, I'll be in a position where the Jeep will no longer be my DD and I'm wheeling it MUCH harder than I am now and can upgrade accordingly.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by srb53150
Originally Posted by MirageMobile
Yes, have you studied the Currie steering system? I like mine very much (4” lift on 32s)
The Currie setup does look beefy, but I'll probably go with Ruff Stuff if I stay with a TRE system. I'm pretty sold on their "cure" poly bushings. Their kit comes with three of them. I'm still weighing pros/cons of TREs vs heims

Originally Posted by 1Bolt
I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the lift size and tires. Talked to some group members local to me and one has been running 5.5" of lift and 35's for 2 years on ZJ steering, and has yet to trash that setup himself so for the price (>$150) that's the one I went with. Being that my jeep is still a DD, I didn't want to risk any issues running anything crazier than I needed to. I'm piecing together a 3.5" OME lift and went with a Clayton double sheer trackbar and mount myself. From what I've gathered in my research, I also decided to beef up the steering box bracket, and picked up a kit to tie the whole front end together that also has bracing for the snout of the box tied in to it. I figure that by the time I break some (or all) of that, I'll be in a position where the Jeep will no longer be my DD and I'm wheeling it MUCH harder than I am now and can upgrade accordingly.
The ZJ steering definitely looks like a good option, I may just go that route. I like that Clayton trackbar!

Thanks for the info so far, looks like I'll probably have to do everything at once - lift/axle/steering/driveshaft/sye etc. Was hoping I could space it out a bit and get the steering knocked out now, might not be possible.