Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Replacement/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997/2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6
Default Steering Replacement/Upgrade

Hey all! I've got a 97 XJ Sport with a 3" RC lift sitting on 31x10.5 tires. I was running through some trails this fall and heard some pretty hard popping coming from the front end while turning. So I decided it was time to replace the steering parts. Most of it will be OEM stuff, but I'm thinking about beefing up a few things (track bar and steering damper come to mind). I'm looking for any input you all have for decent upgrades to the steering components. I've got a few months before the trails open back up to gather and install everything. I'll be working on a budget of about $600-700, so I can't go all out, but I'd like suggestions.

I will note that I don't plan on lifting higher any time soon, but I'm thinking about doing some trimming and stuffing 33x10.5's on there.

Here's my list of components I plan on replacing:

Track bar (and bushings)
Ball joints
Tie rod
Drag link
Steering Damper
Pitman arm
Power steering pump (maybe)

OEM puts me right about 700 with everything. But take the steering pump out and I've got a few hundred bucks to play with.

Suggestions on upgrades or anything else i should change? The only thing down there not original right now is the damper, which was replaced about 7 years ago.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

go w/ the zj solid tie rod upgrade, i doubt theres any thing wrong w/ the pitman arm, i'd replace front axle u joints while its apart.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

if your drag link is bad you can just replace the ends? can't remember. shouldn't need to upgrade that

zj tie rod
spicer ball joints
don't replace the pitman
your dampener is probably shot
Rubicon Express track bar and bracket. so cheap, so why not!

something I would also check and probably replace is the upper control arm bushings on top of the axle
Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 PM

I've read about a lot of people doing the tie rod from the ZJ. There are two though. The one with the 4.0 engine and the one used on the v8 model. Is the upgrade the one on the v8 only or is the tie rod used with the 4.0 solid too?

As for the drag link, I could probably just replace the ends, but for an extra 20 bucks I figure why not replace the whole thing. Thanks for the other suggestions though!

Guess I won't be replacing the pitman arm unless I see something terribly wrong with it.

Keep em coming guys! I'd much rather have suggestions from people on here who have used the stuff than random google searches.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by lighttoast
I've read about a lot of people doing the tie rod from the ZJ. There are two though. The one with the 4.0 engine and the one used on the v8 model. Is the upgrade the one on the v8 only or is the tie rod used with the 4.0 solid too?

As for the drag link, I could probably just replace the ends, but for an extra 20 bucks I figure why not replace the whole thing. Thanks for the other suggestions though!

Guess I won't be replacing the pitman arm unless I see something terribly wrong with it.

Keep em coming guys! I'd much rather have suggestions from people on here who have used the stuff than random google searches.
Get the tie rod from the V8
Old 12-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

Originally Posted by Atmos
if your drag link is bad you can just replace the ends? can't remember. shouldn't need to upgrade that

zj tie rod
spicer ball joints
don't replace the pitman
your dampener is probably shot
Rubicon Express track bar and bracket. so cheap, so why not!

something I would also check and probably replace is the upper control arm bushings on top of the axle
i second that idea , control arm bushings should be changed if worn out.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by srb53150
i second that idea , control arm bushings should be changed if worn out.
They are probably worn out. I'll take a look and probably replace them.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't replace...UPGRADE!
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...serts-Included
Old 12-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Does anyone know anything about that kit from serious offroad? Its about $100 more than the OE parts, but if its worth it I'm willing to look into it. Looks like it comes with everything I would need to replace the tie rod and drag link
Old 12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Does anyone know anything about that kit from serious offroad? Its about $100 more than the OE parts, but if its worth it I'm willing to look into it. Looks like it comes with everything I would need to replace the tie rod and drag link
I'd be interested in more info as well. Looking for better steering for the rocks.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

easy adjustability, increased strength/lifespan, t-link design is much greater than factory y-link, you probably have to drill out your knuckles and pitman but that's easy. if you're up for it, it's a good looking kit

Originally Posted by XJNVA
I'd be interested in more info as well. Looking for better steering for the rocks.
flatter drag link angle plays a BIG roll in ease of steering in rocks. so you'd want to be looking at over-the-knuckle, or even WJ high steer. anything to get that drag angle flatter. problem is 1) you will probably need to raise the track bar too and 2) you leave the tie rod vulnerable to rocks (especially UTK). I've bent every tie rod I've ever owned except for the damned ZJ one because it's pretty hard to hit it right in the middle when it's connected in a Y configuration (which is just about the only positive argument for y link zj steering besides being cheap beef)
Old 12-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

easy adjustability, increased strength/lifespan, t-link design is much greater than factory y-link, you probably have to drill out your knuckles and pitman but that's easy. if you're up for it, it's a good looking kit flatter drag link angle plays a BIG roll in ease of steering in rocks. so you'd want to be looking at over-the-knuckle, or even WJ high steer. anything to get that drag angle flatter. problem is 1) you will probably need to raise the track bar too and 2) you leave the tie rod vulnerable to rocks (especially UTK). I've bent every tie rod I've ever owned except for the damned ZJ one because it's pretty hard to hit it right in the middle when it's connected in a Y configuration (which is just about the only positive argument for y link zj steering besides being cheap beef)
Good info, thanks for that. I'll look into an OTK setup. Raising the tb wouldn't be too bad.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a lot of reviews on my website for both the UTK and the OTK steering kits. you can also enter serious staring into the search field above and get a lot of reviews as well.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:09 PM

easy adjustability, increased strength/lifespan, t-link design is much greater than factory y-link, you probably have to drill out your knuckles and pitman but that's easy. if you're up for it, it's a good looking kit
Thanks for the info. Its definitely up there in my choices...any comparable kits that you know about?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Unless you have 33"-35" tires you typically won't destroy the V8 ZJ steering. It's a rather stout setup, I've got it on my TJ. If you do plan on getting larger tires go ahead and upgrade right away, makes no sense not to. I went OTK for the clearance on my XJ, now my drag link interferes with my frame side trac bar mount. I need to relocate it an inch toward the rear.

You may also want to look for cracks around the steering box if you are hearing popping. Could be the unibody or steering box spacer.

Quick Reply: Steering Replacement/Upgrade