Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Pump Advice - PSC SP1205C

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Steering Pump Advice - PSC SP1205C

I have tried to find info on this but no success. I am in the market for a new steering setup for my 98 XJ and decided on a Blue Top steering gear. I am replacing my pump too and came across the PSC SP-1205C (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...model/cherokee). It is a built a steering pump with a reservoir. However, according to the PSC website it only fits 97-06 TJ's, but my cross referencing showed that 97-06 TJ's and 4.0l XJ's use the same pump. On Quadratec the remanned pumps say they fit TJ's and XJ's. The only website which said the PSC pump will fit the XJ was summit, but I thought it was odd that PSC's website did not state that. So before I bite the bullet, does anyone know if it will actually fit?

Many thanks
Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

As far as I know, there are only two configurations of the Saginaw pump. Type 1 &2. The XJ, TJ, ZJ and WJ use the type 2 which sits outside the reservoir.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience PSC pumps are just rebuilt chinese pumps with no real apparent mods. Lots of guys having many problems with them as they aren't modified like they have said, granted that is for hydro assist. Personally I am gonna run agr that I got from the new owner Joshua Bertschy. He acquired AGR and has been slowly turning it around and he can talk your ear off about steering and really knows his stuff. Also his pumps are actually modified units and not some store bought junk and he isn't afraid to tell you exactly what he does to the pumps. He can set you straight on what you need and if you want send me a pm and Ill shoot you his number. He is a busy guy but he will set up a time to call you and personally answer your questions etc................Kyle
Old 09-13-2018, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I run an AGR super pump. Love it
Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
As far as I know, there are only two configurations of the Saginaw pump. Type 1 &2. The XJ, TJ, ZJ and WJ use the type 2 which sits outside the reservoir.
I was under the same impression too! Thank you for the clarification

Originally Posted by offroadman83
In my experience PSC pumps are just rebuilt chinese pumps with no real apparent mods. Lots of guys having many problems with them as they aren't modified like they have said, granted that is for hydro assist. Personally I am gonna run agr that I got from the new owner Joshua Bertschy. He acquired AGR and has been slowly turning it around and he can talk your ear off about steering and really knows his stuff. Also his pumps are actually modified units and not some store bought junk and he isn't afraid to tell you exactly what he does to the pumps. He can set you straight on what you need and if you want send me a pm and Ill shoot you his number. He is a busy guy but he will set up a time to call you and personally answer your questions etc................Kyle
That would be great thanks! I read some online reviews which weren't in favor of AGR. The reviews were quite a bit older so if you say it has a new owner then I am sure things are different. I will definitely give him a call
Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: Golen 4.6l

I have a PSC steering pump & reservoir on my 94 XJ that I have been very happy with.
Suggest you call the company directly, they are in Azle, TX, central time.
The folks there were very helpful and gave me good advice when I was choosing my setup.