Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound deadening alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sound deadening alternatives

Fist of all, at what point is sound deadening recommended? I have just upgraded the door speakers and stereo, nothing else. Will it make a significant improvement?

What are some cheap home-remedy alternatives for sound deadening front doors other than Fatmat/Dynamat/Peel and Seal? Could I glue on some more carpet on the inside of the door panel and stuff the inside with foam? Looking for very minimal cost.

Last edited by JeepN00bie; 01-07-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Spray undercoating on the inside of the door's metal skin?

Goodwill and get some feather pillows and empty the contents of one pillow into each door?
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

i think they call it blueback or something along those lines...comes in a roll
it's used for roofing, has a tar like backing
home depot carried it at one time, dunno if it's still available or not
Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88
Engine: 4.o

I already covered my roof with peel and stick as well as half the floor and will cover the rest after some rust repair. It helped keep it quieter from road noise just doing the roof.

But if you get the roofing type peel and stick do yourself a favor and get the type that doesn't smell like asphalt. I got some that doesn't and I haven't had it in the summer months yet but I doubt it will stink on hot days.

Last edited by Mullet Bullet; 01-07-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM

Is cardboard okay to cover the holes in the driver door or would this pose a fire hazard?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by JeepN00bie
Is cardboard okay to cover the holes in the driver door or would this pose a fire hazard?
great for holding moisture up against the metal
i'd worry more about rust than fire

another cheaper alternative is brown bread..
it's like the dynamat etc but a lot cheaper (last time i bought a roll anyway)...and no stink
Old 01-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Year: 2000

I am a HUGE stereo junkie and I just love the way cherokees sound with alot of power to the speakers. My first recommendation is to get on crutchfield.com and order the dynamat license plate kit. It's about $15 and will silence your hatch. My hatch only made noise from the license plate and now its silent when bass hits.

Now honestly the best thing you can do for your doors is to take the panels off, and start stuffing rags or old t-shirts in there. This dampens the sound quite a bit. It's what I do because honestly, dynamat and that other stuff is just too expensive.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by headRUSH
I am a HUGE stereo junkie and I just love the way cherokees sound with alot of power to the speakers. My first recommendation is to get on crutchfield.com and order the dynamat license plate kit. It's about $15 and will silence your hatch. My hatch only made noise from the license plate and now its silent when bass hits.

Now honestly the best thing you can do for your doors is to take the panels off, and start stuffing rags or old t-shirts in there. This dampens the sound quite a bit. It's what I do because honestly, dynamat and that other stuff is just too expensive.
Haha that’s exactly what I was thinking of doing, again though, can't this create a fire hazard?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:25 PM

Year: 2000

I've never had a problem with it and I've done it to a number of my vehicles. Most of the time they have a little bit of foam cardboard or something in there to start with. I can't really think of a fire hazard, the only wires in the door are your locks and windows, and of course speaker wire :P
Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by Mullet Bullet
I already covered my roof with peel and stick as well as half the floor and will cover the rest after some rust repair. It helped keep it quieter from road noise just doing the roof.

But if you get the roofing type peel and stick do yourself a favor and get the type that doesn't smell like asphalt. I got some that doesn't and I haven't had it in the summer months yet but I doubt it will stink on hot days.
hows that peel and stick hold up to moisture? im assuming it doesnt trap and hold it in right? i wanna cover the floors, doors, and roof with that stuff pretty soon...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I used this stuff.

Name:  IMG_20130518_173127_714_zpsfeadcce7.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  77.2 KB

2 layers on the floor, one layer on the back of the cab and roof. (of my tin can of a j10 cab) the rig feels much more solid going over bumps, less tin canny noises, doors shut with a thud, and its significantly quieter inside the cab, I used to have to yell to carry out a conversation in there, normal voice works now. As for moisture, water pools up on top of it where my cab leaks water a bit, but as far as i can tell nothing gets underneath it. It sticks to the metal really good and is meant to be waterproof on roofs, so I anticipate it works just as well here. They say with heat it adheres even better over time too. Some people apply it with a heat gun, I just let the sun and summer heat do its job.

It was like $15 a roll and my cab of my pickup took 2.5 rolls doing the floor twice, back of the cab once, and roof once.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Year: 1998

Highly recommend this site. Don will answer any and all questions related to the topic and is very knowledgeable and experienced.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I used his products on my son's '98. Being a teen it had to thump and sound good. I can not stand bass that causes everything to rattle and buzz, so I did some research and landed on this solution.

Keep in mind:
- the XJ has little to no OEM sound insulation.
- the XJ is rather squeaky and rattle a lot. Most of us are use to it.
- you have to be rather thorough if you are looking for premium sound control
- average and even stock components sound much better with some sound control.
- As with all upgrades you can spend as much as you want.

Unfortunately, shortly after I completed the project it was rear-ended and totaled. I removed some of the material for reuse, but some of it is not removable.

I'd be glad to answer any questions if anybody has more interest.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Year: 1995

Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used so e ply foil stuff. It's what he use as a sound deadener on our metal barns. I said what the hell if it's good for a barn it's good enough for my jeep, damn pic got deleted
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 86/91/92
Model: Comanche

How much do you need? I just ordered 100sf of the 50mil Fatmat and won't be using it all. I will only be using it for the roof, doors and back wall of my MJ. I am NOT putting any sticky aluminum foil on my floors.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening alternatives