Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simplest Way To Wire 2 Electric Radiator Fans and a Question About The Taurus 3.8 Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Simplest Way To Wire 2 Electric Radiator Fans and a Question About The Taurus 3.8 Fan

Hey guys. So I just finished watching a couple videos on how to wire a Taurus two speed fan into the XJ using a thermo switch, 3 relys, and a bunch of other wiring and such as well as a TON of work to the engine. First my question about this is, do I really have to cut off the pulley mount for the AC belt where the clutch fan goes to gain enough clearance for this swap? Cause npbodiy has every mentioned this before but the guy in the video really knew His stuff and He made it seem mandatory.

Now that that's out of the way let me start this off by saying that after watching those videos I mentioned, I got a headache and it made me want to quit now before I even got started. What I want to know is, what's the simplest way to wire up a primary electric fan for the rad that either works along with the small auxillary an or the easiest simpler way to just remove that small stock fan and run dual large electric fans?

At this point I don't mind just using a toggle switch but damnit I REALLY wanted these fans to operate on their own when they're needed without me having to worry about flipping switches all damn day. I really wanted to just have one fan turn on during normal driving and have both come on when the engine got hot or I turned the a/c on.

Seems like if I want to do the latter I have to buy ajhd heavily modify a sending unit adapter so I can mount a Saab thermo switch into the radiator hose, then I have to spend an hour sawing off the fan clutch mount, then I have to do all this crazy **** with wiring everything up. Its a nightmare!!!

Currently I have a clutch fan and the aux. Electric fan is wired up to a toggle switch the previous owner installed. I really want to use an electric fan as the primary cooling fan for various reasons. I plan on getting a 6 fuse bus as well as a 6 gang toggle switch panel for lighting and such anyways is that helps any. I also just installed new battery terminal clamps with extra mounts for aux. Wiring. Please help me here! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...plication.html

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Fan-Conversion
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I just installed a Taurus fan on my 94 ZJ and it went pretty easy. Here is the thread I started. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/fin...nstall-195441/ . Also here is a diagram I modified and used.

Max