Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shackle slider vs shackle relocation kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Shackle slider vs shackle relocation kit?

what i am wondering is what is the differance between the two? what would be better fkex, what is better for daily driver, ect..... any info will be great.

http://www.liquidironindustries.com/...e=0&featured=Y

vs

http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1117.html
Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I think the only difference is the fact that the sliders have more adjustments. i prefer the RC brackets as it would seem to me that the shackle might slide about in the sliders if the bolt becomes loose. I have the RC relocators and they do wanders for flex. The only thing is that if you use them with the stock shackle the shackle will hit the sides of the relocators at compression. Its no big deal as they just shave off a bit on the side to go in more. I installed 1.5 in shackles and put them at 45 degrees and now I flex like crazy, I actually run out of shock and the shackle still has room to open up. They are a great product. I am not a fan of RC at all but these are awesome and indestructable as well, install is a breeze. Buy them.

Last edited by helmut; 01-29-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 AM
CF Veteran

Just checked the pics of the sliders. They will be harder to install as you have to mount them to the hitch hardware. Good luck if you have a hitch or a skidplate that have not been moved in a while. Also if you dont have a hitch or skidplate you might not have the nut strips in the frame so check into that. The pics in my album show the boxes with the stock shackle.

Last edited by helmut; 01-29-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont use a shackle with the sliders. i think the upside to the harder to install comment is they look stronger being tied in like that. ive seen bent rc relocation brackets.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres another option
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/...relocation-kit
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by helmut
I think the only difference is the fact that the sliders have more adjustments. i prefer the RC brackets as it would seem to me that the shackle might slide about in the sliders if the bolt becomes loose. I have the RC relocators and they do wanders for flex. The only thing is that if you use them with the stock shackle the shackle will hit the sides of the relocators at compression. But I think that goes for the sliders as well. Its no big deal as they just shave off a bit on the side to go in more. I installed 1.5 in shackles and put them at 45 degrees and now I flex like crazy, I actually run out of shock and the shackle still has room to open up. They are a great product. I am not a fan of RC at all but these are awesome and indestructable as well, install is a breeze. Buy them.
slider boxes dont use shackles. and the leaf spring is supposed to move around in the slider box, that's the way they are designed. it takes the place of a normal shackle
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by N20jeep
slider boxes dont use shackles. and the leaf spring is supposed to move around in the slider box, that's the way they are designed. it takes the place of a normal shackle
I see. I did not know that. Just seems really weird without using a movable shackle. I guess they are better as far as clearence in the rear since there will not be a shackle hanging and hitting the rocks. It seems like the RC boxes will improve on flex better.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I just found the shackle sliders yesterday did not know much i do know shackle relocation brackets get good reviews.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Unless you have a reallllyyyyyyyyy long shackles, the sliders will flex better.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: i6

so if they eliminate the shackle, what is the lift equivalent? or am i missing something? would it just be = to 1.5" lift shackle? or does it just take place of a stock shackle and you lose lift if you have 1.5" shackle? also how long is that little chunk of cutting board plastic supposed to last? i know its a new product but does anyone have it or know anyone that does?? no vids on youtube

well i was gonna ask this question about lift but i got the answer... they do not add lift

any way read this through
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/li...-parts-101046/
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

There is a thread on these. Search for it, people been running them about a year with no problems. They are more stable then a pivoting shackle and do not give any lift. (except maybe the 1/2" of material)

I will be buying these in the future for sure.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

The problem is you'll never get the droop you can get with a revolving shackle; although I think this is a no brainer for the jeep-speed guys. The guy from LLI brings up the point about added stability with one less bushing but you need that when the axle articulates. I think a properly angled shackle, with good shocks for rear movement stability, has got to win in an articulation match.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM

Year: 1998

Wow. id never heard about sliders. but after lookin at it and thinkin about it, id still go with shackles. the flex seems like it would be better with 2 pivot points.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

well for one, its not always about "flex". stability is nice too. i have never personally ran slider boxes, but from what i hear they are super stable. one downside is if you smash them on some rocks a bunch, they wont move as freely.

and if i were to go with relocation brackets, they would be from HD Offroad. far better design, and they are proven tough.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
and if i were to go with relocation brackets, they would be from HD Offroad. far better design, and they are proven tough.
x2 - the slider boxes bushings can wear out also, not so great when you're playing in the dirt/mud IMO.

Quick Reply: Shackle slider vs shackle relocation kit?