Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAS jeep Cherokee Help

Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default SAS jeep Cherokee Help

Sorry I know these are everywhere but I can not find a good thread with what I'm looking for.
Let me know if you can help or just send ne to the right direction.
Alright I got a 92 jeep Cherokee that I bought exactly a week ago. It has stock axles and I already got the axles I want. They are Dana 44 front and 9" rear off a late 70s bronco. I still need to clean them up but getting closer. Ha sorry I am going off subject. Like stated before I am looking for a good thread or some info on ALL of the parts and steps I will need and need to do.
Anything you can do or tell me will help greatly thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

your best bet is to do some more research. all the info you need is out there, and the more you learn the better you can tackle this project and be happier with the outcome.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Full width or narrow? If they are from the 78-79 full width Bronco you have a cast wedge front axle and your only real option is to use and/or modify the ford radius arms. They acually work pretty well for a long arm set up, just need to make a cross member, new spring buckets, shock mounts and track bar mount.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
your best bet is to do some more research. all the info you need is out there, and the more you learn the better you can tackle this project and be happier with the outcome.
I have done a lot of research just trying to find one with full width axles and am having a hard time trying to find what I'm looking for and just wanting a tiny bit of help

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Full width or narrow? If they are from the 78-79 full width Bronco you have a cast wedge front axle and your only real option is to use and/or modify the ford radius arms. They acually work pretty well for a long arm set up, just need to make a cross member, new spring buckets, shock mounts and track bar mount.
Yes it is a full width and what would be another option just out of curiosity. Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

well what questions do you have? your original post was vague and it sounded like you wanted someone to walk you through the entire process. truth is there are so many ways to do it i couldnt begin to know where to start giving you advice.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 AM

I'm either looking for a good thread on it. Or just looking for a parts list of things I will need. I'm not looking for a step by step I just want to make sure I got everything before I start
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Search Pirate, tons of write up there and you won't have everything you need. There is always something that's wrong or breaks. Come up with a budget, double it and then you'll be close. Keep in mind the axles are the cheap part, then you have to gear them, buy or make mounts, get new wheels and so on. My axles were about 300 and were already geared and I still have over a grand in just the swap with all the little things.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Search Pirate, tons of write up there and you won't have everything you need. There is always something that's wrong or breaks. Come up with a budget, double it and then you'll be close. Keep in mind the axles are the cheap part, then you have to gear them, buy or make mounts, get new wheels and so on. My axles were about 300 and were already geared and I still have over a grand in just the swap with all the little things.
Thanks I will do that and I have a big budget for it right now. And I plan infinite messing up just wanted to get most of the things I need ahead of time. But thanks I will look over there.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

start with this one. pretty close to what you want to do. Search the build threads. There are plenty. Pirate has a lot more one ton, and custom swaps, with 3 links etc. But there is a ton of info and everything you could ever want to know.
Like stated above the wedges on the axle will be the biggest hurdle. If they are cast anyway. Search for d44 cast wedges and see what other people have done.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-2000-xj-67081/
Old 03-08-2012, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Old 03-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Thank you I have found a couple on pirate that have helped a bit. I guess I will just look up some more crap. Sucks but it's got to be done. And thank you all for your responses