Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe articulation & Proper lift height

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Safe articulation & Proper lift height

Hi There

Recently after my 2nd Cherokee lift completed I tried 4 different trails for test drive.Beginning with easy dirt road and hills then Miller Jeep trail then Coyote flat at Bishop.(I'm not rock crawler but I use it for hardcore hunting trails mainly.) (1st Dad's Jeep is 3.5" RE-short arm lift with 31: tires BFG All train,4.10 front locker,rear LSD,SYE,bilstein shocks) Solid jeep but I need to go with bigger tires.)
2nd Jeep- 5.5" RE coil rear 4.5" Rubicon express leafs plus RE boom rang shackle, 35" tires with 4.56 gears lockers front/rear, Bilstein shocks,Long arm Rough country,dana30,dana60rear,rock slider,rear and front bumper.)
My main problem is I feel springs are too soft and possible of roll, I am not sure where to start, changing the shocks or stiffer springs...
Could someone guide me trough this set up.(I have my old 5. RE leaf spring but since shackles were touching the rear bumper or behind it we change it to boom-rang with 4.5 lift to level it but I am not sure problem is shackle or springs or shacks.
Please let me know if you need more info.
Thanks for any help or comments to fix this issue,
Old 10-12-2022, 07:10 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Engine: 4.0

do you still have swaybars?

you are getting the jeep high enough that having wider axles will also help stability. did you narrow the dana 60 to match the 30?
Old 10-12-2022, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

You're center of gravity is on the high side with 5.5" of lift and 35's, and your track width is on the narrow side with stock width axles. However, many people run that setup (myself included) and are successful. I've run some reasonably challenging trails without too much butt-pucker.

I gotta wonder how much you're pushing it, and how much is in your head (about being close to rolling). I know that a pretty gentle angle can feel extreme if you're not used to it and understand the capability of the vehicle.

If your springs feel like they're the appropriate stiffness when running down the road (ie, you're not bottoming out every time you hit a pothole), then I don't think you need to change your springs or shocks, Some things you can do would be to lower your lift height, increase your track width, and add an antirock sway bar up front (offroad sway bar). Also, packing the vehicle with low CoG in mind can have a big effect. Don't keep a fullsize spare on the roof and expect stability when off camber.

The following users liked this post:
Fish Hunter (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 09:21 AM

Yes, I have sway bars but disconnect front when I go off road,rear Diff is same with of OEM but wheels front and rear has 3" back spacing.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:01 AM

That is the problem, I believe 5.5” was the mini lift I could run for 35” tires, my spare is on the rear Smitybilt bumper which is pretty heavy and I have Smitybilt roof rack and custom rockslides.I am not to sure the long shackles are helping me because while driving on angled trail when rear tire hitting a rock you fell it will roll because maybe the shackle is not letting shock absorb the energy!

I don’t know how to adjust the track you mentioned because that it self-making the vehicle swing because of long arms.

I am going to add Anti-Rock Swaybar then try to Adding straps to limit the opening of springs are in my mind but probably after Anti-rock install. but for now trying to figure out the issue is spring or shock or shackles…
Old 10-12-2022, 10:19 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

By roll do you mean axle wrap, or the actual vehicle tipping over.

nevermind I understand now

Last edited by XJChang; 10-12-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:56 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I'm running 5.5 RE coils, RE 4.5 leafs with RE boomerang shackles, D30 and 8.25, 3 link front, 4.88's with Spartans, and 35s. So really close to your setup. It took a bit to get used to, but it works flawlessly off road, nice smooth transitions, however, the spring rates are a tad on the soft side, and gives that uneasy feeling you describe, but once you get used to it, it's really a great setup. Bottom line is give it a chance, and if something feels off, back up and bypass, or hit a different line, if possible. Don't wheel anything you're not comfortable with, but feel it out, and once you get used to it, you'll be hitting it hard all day, lol
Fish Hunter (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:31 PM

actual Vehicle tipping over
Old 10-12-2022, 01:43 PM

Just like my set up but I got Rough Country 4 link Long arm same shocks with 4.56 gears, Do you ride with Sway bar disconnects? Would it be better with Anti Rock?
I don't like rough country steering it makes more body roll on freeway bumps or street (It's beefy though), I may change it to Currie steering.
Since my 3.5" dad's jeep drives so solid its harder to get use to it...specially on angled trails.
Thanks for reply
Old 10-12-2022, 02:24 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Fish Hunter
Just like my set up but I got Rough Country 4 link Long arm same shocks with 4.56 gears, Do you ride with Sway bar disconnects? Would it be better with Anti Rock?
I don't like rough country steering it makes more body roll on freeway bumps or street (It's beefy though), I may change it to Currie steering.
Since my 3.5" dad's jeep drives so solid its harder to get use to it...specially on angled trails.
Thanks for reply
I have Bilstien 5100's, and have never had sway bars. I'm also running 1 ton OTK steering and OTK trackbar.
I personally hate RC and their products. I will never recommend them, but that said, you gotta work with what you have, or swap it out. Both Currie and AntiRock are excellent and reputable companies. But, their products come with a high price tag.

Give them a shot if you can afford to, otherwise I would just learn to live with it, you definitely will get used to it and adjust your driving style.
Fish Hunter (10-13-2022)