Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running all new speaker wire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default running all new speaker wire?

Hello CherokeeForum,

I picked up an XJ not too long ago, and it only came with speakers in the front doors. I am not new to car audio, but I am new to this chassis.

I am planning on doing a budget audio setup and I am going to start by replacing all 4 speakers and adding an amp to them. How difficult is running new speaker wire through all the front doors and to the rear sound bar?

I assume I will have to drop the headliner to get to the soundbar wiring? I already went ahead and ordered 40ft of 12GA OFC wiring (might be a little overkill for now, but I want to do this just once).

Any tips or anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I would look on line for a factory harness that has everything you need including the amp hookups and rear speaker bar.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

It's not hard and would be a great audio project. I would mount the amp under the passenger seat or rear bench seat.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I would look on line for a factory harness that has everything you need including the amp hookups and rear speaker bar.
Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
It's not hard and would be a great audio project. I would mount the amp under the passenger seat or rear bench seat.
thanks guys!

I am planning on putting the amp under the passenger seat, but I'm afraid it may get wet. Looking into the rear seat but I think it may get too hot there. I just want it out of sight from prying eyes
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I always run a bundle of wires from the amp to the radio and tap into the OEM speaker wires there.

Your Jeep is already be pre-wired for 4 speakers.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by erykv1
thanks guys! I am planning on putting the amp under the passenger seat, but I'm afraid it may get wet. Looking into the rear seat but I think it may get too hot there. I just want it out of sight from prying eyes
I have my sub all mounted under the back seat. I've never had an issue with it overheating, but I also do not have it on all the time. I've always wanted to relocate it into a custom box in the rear.

I also want to amp my door speakers. I have plans in my head to build a sub box/dual amp box in the rear. I even thought about putting a small fan in there.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:21 AM

Year: 1998

I had the amp for my sub under the rear seat for a while. Never had a problem overheating. Now I have that one screwed into the sub box and another amp under the seat waiting to be hooked up to component speakers. If you are just putting in new speakers, just buy adapters off Crutchfield and put in aftermarkets. If you decide to run new wire, I started from the door, fed it through the gromet, then kick panel, then back to the rear seat under the trim along the door jams.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See this thread, and go to post #5 for my setup. There is also a link under the pic that will take you to the original post I made about the sub installation.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/99...dation-205013/

My Kicker CompVT rear cubby sub install. See my thread here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/re...nstall-133158/
Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by macgyver35
See this thread, and go to post #5 for my setup. There is also a link under the pic that will take you to the original post I made about the sub installation.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/99...dation-205013/

My Kicker CompVT rear cubby sub install. See my thread here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/re...nstall-133158/
#Stealth
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I have a sub in the rear and I never really liked the look of an amp slapped onto a box, this resulted in a few ideas. I started by putting the amp under the back seat, over heated all the time, so then I put it under the passenger seat and I couldn't move the seat because the adjuster hit the amp when trying to move it, so I put it where it is now in the rear passenger quarter panel behind the cubby. Never had any problems where it is and it keeps it clean and makes it harder to steal.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

The factory wiring sucks if yours in anything like mine. For one it is old and for two, it was not good to begin with. I would just run all new quality speaker wire. It is pretty easy! Few screws in the plastic trim, a few spots you gave to worm it through. All in all, Ive done sound systems in a bunch of different vehicles and the XJ is one of the easiest. Speaker size is 5.25 and you can make larger ones fit without much work.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I have a sub in the rear and I never really liked the look of an amp slapped onto a box, this resulted in a few ideas. I started by putting the amp under the back seat, over heated all the time, so then I put it under the passenger seat and I couldn't move the seat because the adjuster hit the amp when trying to move it, so I put it where it is now in the rear passenger quarter panel behind the cubby. Never had any problems where it is and it keeps it clean and makes it harder to steal.
This is the amp I have under my front passenger seat. It fits great, and allows full movement of the seat. It's plenty of amp to push an 8, 10, or 12 inch single sub. Mine has served me well for three years now. Just put in bridged mode and you're good to go.

Amazon.com : Dual XPE2700 400-Watt Max 2-Channel MOSFET XPE Series Power Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Dual XPE2700 400-Watt Max 2-Channel MOSFET XPE Series Power Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
The factory wiring sucks if yours in anything like mine. For one it is old and for two, it was not good to begin with. I would just run all new quality speaker wire. It is pretty easy! Few screws in the plastic trim, a few spots you gave to worm it through. All in all, Ive done sound systems in a bunch of different vehicles and the XJ is one of the easiest. Speaker size is 5.25 and you can make larger ones fit without much work.
thanks for all the responses guys!

i tried to put in some 6.5's in the rear, and only one hole lines up (obviously). what do you guys recommend to fasten the rest of the 3 holes?

i tried to self tap into the headliner but it doesn't seem like there's hard enough material for the screw to grab onto.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

FYI, on my 2000 the stock location for the Infinity amp was under the driver's side rear seat, bolted right to the floor. Maybe other amps produce more heat, but I never had a problem with mine.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Subthump.com makes a really nice 3/16" mdf rear cargo sub box for just over $100. I got mine and mounted at shallow 10" and has been great over the past 3 years, also have a 800 watt amp under the rear bench.

Quick Reply: running all new speaker wire?