Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber body molding/side trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Rubber body molding/side trim

I'm not a huge fan of the stock plastic body trim and removed it from my last Cherokee. As everyone knows it is prone to fading a curling and isn't the most streamlined look (imo). Still, it would be nice to have some protection from parking lot dents. Does anyone know of any alternatives for body trim just above the rockers? Has anyone fabricated their own trim? Maybe black rubber would look good above black rockers and fade less than the plastic...
Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you remove the side body molding are there any holes left behind or is it just held on by double-sided tape/glue? Curious as I'm looking at XJ's now and would prefer the look of the molding removed. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

MY 96 is just glue......
Old 03-23-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by War-Machine
If you remove the side body molding are there any holes left behind or is it just held on by double-sided tape/glue? Curious as I'm looking at XJ's now and would prefer the look of the molding removed. Thanks!
99 xj sport, its double sided tape. I really need to go back with a heat gun and remove the rest of the tape.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by 99XJ93YJ
99 xj sport, its double sided tape. I really need to go back with a heat gun and remove the rest of the tape.
Eraser wheel can be used for this. But be careful. Can burn the paint with it if you get a little to aggressive.
Big fan of this for adhesive remover.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-23-2019, 08:46 AM

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Yes, double sided tape is used, as mentioned before. I had my XJ sprayed by Linex. I love how they came out. It's been on for a couple of years with no signs of fading or peeling.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepin Dan
Yes, double sided tape is used, as mentioned before. I had my XJ sprayed by Linex. I love how they came out. It's been on for a couple of years with no signs of fading or peeling.
Line-X is great.
I had to have some painting done on my roof and hood. So I had the roof skid strips Line-X'ed before I put them back. I can go either way on the door molding. Decided to keep it. Was going to Krylon Fusion them like everybody else. Had them Line-X'ed too.
Also some factory running boards that I picked up that were green and needed to be black. Plus the Factory Mudflaps to clean them up too.
Problem is that I did not realize how much I would love the Line-X. Now I just want to Line-X everything. Thing is that could get expensive. So I have purchased bedliner from a few different manufacturers in rattle cans. Hoping one will be close enough to matching the existing Line-X so my OCD won't go into overdrive. Going to sample them when the weather gets warmer. Don't have much faith in this working out though.

The following users liked this post:
RAGordy (06-07-2022)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Ya, I know what you mean by loving it. And wanting to LineX everything! I did my fender flares, and my front bumper too. haha

But you have many options if you don't want to replace your factory trim.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

That is exactly the plan for mine...................well....the body part anyway.

Last edited by TRCM; 03-24-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Ya, I know what you mean by loving it. And wanting to LineX everything! I did my fender flares, and my front bumper too. haha

But you have many options if you don't want to replace your factory trim.
I am hoping to get a brush guard I picked up on this year. Would love to get that Line-X'ed. Same with my tail light guards. Since I will have to trim the bumper caps up front for the brush guard thinking about doing all 4. Then I am wondering if I should do the fender flares too. Then of course there is the bottom of the doors and rockers. And I have this stupid idea of about doing the door handles. They way they are faded kind of bugs me. But thinking that would be kind of tough on the hands. LOL.

What did they charge you to do that bumper?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I am hoping to get a brush guard I picked up on this year. Would love to get that Line-X'ed. Same with my tail light guards. Since I will have to trim the bumper caps up front for the brush guard thinking about doing all 4. Then I am wondering if I should do the fender flares too. Then of course there is the bottom of the doors and rockers. And I have this stupid idea of about doing the door handles. They way they are faded kind of bugs me. But thinking that would be kind of tough on the hands. LOL.

What did they charge you to do that bumper?
Door handles. I thought the same today when I was pumping gas. Faded handles kinda bug me too haha
Think I paid $200 or so for the bumper to get sprayed.. South Gate LineX in Southern California.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Door handles. I thought the same today when I was pumping gas. Faded handles kinda bug me too haha
Think I paid $200 or so for the bumper to get sprayed.. South Gate LineX in Southern California.
If you do door handles, tell them you want it smooth...they can spray without grit.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 AM
CF Veteran

Pretty sure I paid $200 for all that I had done. 4 roof skid strips, 6 pieces of door molding, 2 rear mud flaps, and the 6 plastic pieces, 3 per side, that comprise the running boards.
The more I asked them to do the cheaper the price got. In a way.

Originally Posted by TRCM
If you do door handles, tell them you want it smooth...they can spray without grit.
Thought Line-X was just the one way. Did not realize that. Picked up some extra doors not to long ago so I have some extra door handles to play with.
Was thinking that it would be best to take them apart. The push button off the handle itself. Before you spray. Assuming that you can get them apart.
Another project to play with at some point in time. LOL.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:23 AM

Default I've been looking for mud flaps and running boaards!

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Line-X is great.
I had to have some painting done on my roof and hood. So I had the roof skid strips Line-X'ed before I put them back. I can go either way on the door molding. Decided to keep it. Was going to Krylon Fusion them like everybody else. Had them Line-X'ed too.
Also some factory running boards that I picked up that were green and needed to be black. Plus the Factory Mudflaps to clean them up too.
Problem is that I did not realize how much I would love the Line-X. Now I just want to Line-X everything. Thing is that could get expensive. So I have purchased bedliner from a few different manufacturers in rattle cans. Hoping one will be close enough to matching the existing Line-X so my OCD won't go into overdrive. Going to sample them when the weather gets warmer. Don't have much faith in this working out though.

I have been online searching for the right mud flaps and the running boards with a certain look and I keep coming up empty. The pics you shared are EXACTLY what I am looking for. Would you mind to share the brand of both? Or a link to where you got them? I would love to get these same ones as I debate on whether to remove the side moldings or not. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2021, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MichaelH - Edaddyof5
I have been online searching for the right mud flaps and the running boards with a certain look and I keep coming up empty. The pics you shared are EXACTLY what I am looking for. Would you mind to share the brand of both? Or a link to where you got them? I would love to get these same ones as I debate on whether to remove the side moldings or not. Thanks!
They are both factory.
For '97 and up XJ's.
Not available anymore unless you find them used or if some NOS happens to pop up.
What year XJ and where are you located?