Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roughcountry track bar problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default roughcountry track bar problems

So i started to get some bad play in my steering. No deathwabble. But bumpsteer. And my steetingwheel would move about a 2in or so each way before my tires would actually start moving left to right whith the steeringwheel. So my first thought. Maybe my steering box is shot. Figured its time for a upgrade. So i did. Swapped it out with a durango box out of a 99 with the v8. The swap was easy!. Unbolt. Break a line or to (lol) and bolt the other right up.. but it didnt fix my problem. Finaly figured out that my tie rod on my rc trac bar was dropping about a 8th of an in. When i turned the wheels. So i spent the next few hours calling and searching. Finaly i found the tierod end to fit my track bar after hours of trial and error. Part #. ES140R. Will fit roughcountry track bar. For those with similar problems. Or needing to replace it. And by the way. The tie rod that came with the tb. Had about 6k on it.... so if u have a rc tb. U might wanna think about changing it anyway.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like you experienced bump steer which was trying to lead to death wobble. Any lift over 3" and some under don't tend to like the track bars with tie rod ends. The ends aren't made to operate with the angle it puts them at and makes them wear pretty fast.