Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bumper mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Rear bumper mount

I wanna get a tire/gas can carrier for my stock XJ bumper. I don’t wanna spend the money on a new bumper and I was kinda just looking for an attachment maybe? Does anybody have any DIY ideas or any links they could share with me? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

With out a hell of a lot of bracing the stock bumper won't hold the weight its just sheet metal with 4 bolts holding it on.Honestly your best option for you is a trailer hitch tire carrier like https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hi...-carrier-jeep/ but what it cost you might a well buy a bumper.And with that in the hitch will hurt your departure angle if you go off road.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
With out a hell of a lot of bracing the stock bumper won't hold the weight its just sheet metal with 4 bolts holding it on.Honestly your best option for you is a trailer hitch tire carrier like https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hi...-carrier-jeep/ but what it cost you might a well buy a bumper.And with that in the hitch will hurt your departure angle if you go off road.
alright thank you i think i might just get a roof rack instead or save up some money and get a rear bumper in the future
Old 11-09-2017, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Putting a spare on the roof is not a good idea really,A its heavy and when you need to use it youll cuss up a storm.And as a daily driver it can kill a few mpg with it on the roof.How big of a spare do you have ?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nates 4x4 makes brackets like that, but I would be weary to buy them, probably just build them....

http://www.nates4x4.com/Retro_fit_In...tie-in_xjr.htm
Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Putting a spare on the roof is not a good idea really,A its heavy and when you need to use it youll cuss up a storm.And as a daily driver it can kill a few mpg with it on the roof.How big of a spare do you have ?
31s
Old 11-09-2017, 02:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

My advice is save your money, and do it right. I've seen your other thread on a front bumper....and I will say this, good on you for focusing on armor/recovery first.

Find a good rear bumper with mount, and set that goal. Don't rely on what you see online, go to some local fab shops, bet they could hook you up for less, with more options. Never hurts to ask.

Bottom line is how much use will your rig see? If you plan on wheeling a lot, get a winch bumper...especially if it's only you and one other person...not wise to wheel alone...but sometimes the trail calls haha

If you go with people often, just get a bumper with solid tie ins, and good recovery points.

If you just want to look cool, see if you can find a used one online.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
My advice is save your money, and do it right. I've seen your other thread on a front bumper....and I will say this, good on you for focusing on armor/recovery first.

Find a good rear bumper with mount, and set that goal. Don't rely on what you see online, go to some local fab shops, bet they could hook you up for less, with more options. Never hurts to ask.

Bottom line is how much use will your rig see? If you plan on wheeling a lot, get a winch bumper...especially if it's only you and one other person...not wise to wheel alone...but sometimes the trail calls haha

If you go with people often, just get a bumper with solid tie ins, and good recovery points.

If you just want to look cool, see if you can find a used one online.
ALRIght thank you! I think I’m just gonna do it right. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:35 AM
CF Veteran

You can mount a 31 inside the jeep https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...7-01-a-210836/