Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE 3.5" lift question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default RE 3.5" lift question

I installed this kit recently and was wondering, am I going to need a longer drag link with this lift? It looks to have lifted a heck of a lot further than 3.5... maybe my stock suspension was just that worn out..
Old 09-22-2015, 07:41 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by 98Redbird
I installed this kit recently and was wondering, am I going to need a longer drag link with this lift? It looks to have lifted a heck of a lot further than 3.5... maybe my stock suspension was just that worn out..
RE's lifts generally give more than advertised. I have to same size lift Super-Ride (not installed yet though ) and preparing for it being 1-2 inches higher.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 98Redbird
Is your stock drag link not adjustable? Maybe need a dropped pitman arm?
Old 09-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

I have had the Super Ride 3.5 on mine for almost two years now. You won't need a drag link, but you should either relocate the axle end hole for the trackbar or get an adjustable trackbar. Otherwise, your steering should be all set, assuming your kit came with their steering stabilizer.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by aj2494
I have had the Super Ride 3.5 on mine for almost two years now. You won't need a drag link, but you should either relocate the axle end hole for the trackbar or get an adjustable trackbar. Otherwise, your steering should be all set, assuming your kit came with their steering stabilizer.
Are you saying that for their kit to work properly you have to run "Their Steering Stabilizer" if so then there is something wrong with the kit. As all they do is cover up other problems in the steering.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Not that it's required, but it helps make sure there are fewer issues. It may only "mask" issues, but not every system is going to be perfect and a steering stabilizer will really help reduce vibes. I don't think anyone will argue that.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Old 09-23-2015, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Not that it's required, but it helps make sure there are fewer issues. It may only "mask" issues, but not every system is going to be perfect and a steering stabilizer will really help reduce vibes. I don't think anyone will argue that.
The steering stabilizer has nothing to do with "vibes" its just a bandaid for bump steer and death wobble. Saying not every suspension is perfect is saying its okay to drive with an improper lift that is dangerous because its cheaper.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by toasterknight
The steering stabilizer has nothing to do with "vibes" its just a bandaid for bump steer and death wobble. Saying not every suspension is perfect is saying its okay to drive with an improper lift that is dangerous because its cheaper.
It's a pretty well accepted fact that any steering system, even brilliantly engineered factory systems, will have vibrations due to natural resonant frequencies and a steering stabilizer will help absorb those vibrations. Their intended purpose is to dampen vibes, which is why a stabilizer is also called a steering damper. Will a stabilizer hurt anything? No. Will it help reduce completely unavoidable vibrations while maybe masking some issues? Yes. But this isn't a monster lift we're talking about here, and chances are it only needs an alignment after it's done. You're taking this way away from the topic at hand. How did we get from using a steering stabilizer to help reduce vibes to using an improper lift? If anyone would like to make an argument that the RE 3.5" lift is unsafe or that it requires a new drag link, be my guest.

Last edited by aj2494; 09-23-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

There should be no vibration in the steering if there is you have something wrong with your jeep. Either the links aren't stiff enough or a joint is loose. There is no such thing as an unavoidable vibration. Proper geometry, materials, material thickness, and joint strength will fix any suspension issues.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Yup. I'm still waiting to hear from the OP to see if he really needs a drag link or if he meant a track bar.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jay_sco
Yup. I'm still waiting to hear from the OP to see if he really needs a drag link or if he meant a track bar.
I was wondering the same thing, but he shouldn't need either.

Toaster - I challenge you to find an XJ or any car for that matter, that has zero vibrations in the front end. It's literally almost impossible to get rid of all vibes, even on a system for a brand new car. Every material has a natural resonant frequency. I'm not talking about huge vibrations here that make the XJ difficult to control, but the annoying stuff. I seriously doubt a properly installed RE 3.5" lift would create the kind of vibrations that you're talking about.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

I was wondering the same thing, but he shouldn't need either.

Toaster - I challenge you to find an XJ or any car for that matter, that has zero vibrations in the front end. It's literally almost impossible to get rid of all vibes, even on a system for a brand new car. Every material has a natural resonant frequency. I'm not talking about huge vibrations here that make the XJ difficult to control, but the annoying stuff. I seriously doubt a properly installed RE 3.5" lift would create the kind of vibrations that you're talking about.
I'm not saying there are no vibrations at all but those vibrations are small enough the stabilizer would do nothing and you wouldn't notice them. If the stabilizer dealt with them all vehicles would have them installed.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by toasterknight
I'm not saying there are no vibrations at all but those vibrations are small enough the stabilizer would do nothing and you wouldn't notice them. If the stabilizer dealt with them all vehicles would have them installed.
All I'm trying to say is there's a reason we all run stabilizers. Of course there are people who choose not to or don't need them at all, but they help the rest of us. I 100% agree that vibes are bad and usually indicate a problem, but a vibe doesn't always indicate a rapidly approaching catastrophic failure. A lot of people have driveline vibes that don't mean their XJ is falling apart. Yeah vibes might create a little unnecessary wear over a long time, but they may not be worth chasing down and correcting if a simple steering stabilizer will help fix the issues.

But we're getting way off topic here. The only reason I initially asked if the OP had a steering stabilizer was to cover all the bases of steering components that are deemed necessary/optional but helpful for that lift height. It doesn't even sound like the OP has driven it yet, but is just finishing up the lift install and questioning some angles.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

All I'm trying to say is there's a reason we all run stabilizers. Of course there are people who choose not to or don't need them at all, but they help the rest of us. I 100% agree that vibes are bad and usually indicate a problem, but a vibe doesn't always indicate a rapidly approaching catastrophic failure. A lot of people have driveline vibes that don't mean their XJ is falling apart. Yeah vibes might create a little unnecessary wear over a long time, but they may not be worth chasing down and correcting if a simple steering stabilizer will help fix the issues.

But we're getting way off topic here. The only reason I initially asked if the OP had a steering stabilizer was to cover all the bases of steering components that are deemed necessary/optional but helpful for that lift height. It doesn't even sound like the OP has driven it yet, but is just finishing up the lift install and questioning some angles.
Makes sense. I have to argue my point though or someone after you is going to end up quoting this as if stabilizers fix all problems. Hope OP vet his lift working.

Quick Reply: RE 3.5" lift question