Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RC long arm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default RC long arm upgrade

My buddy is a rc dealer and I can get a screaming deal on the long arm upgrade kit but I've herd good and bad about them so who has had problems and is there a way around it
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

quick google search says bad joints that go out after a few trips.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

They should get a thread started for RC. And it should have people that have purchased their product, and used it. From what I HEARD, is that their products tend to wear out faster than other quality kits, such as RE.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by dlong83
My buddy is a rc dealer and I can get a screaming deal on the long arm upgrade kit but I've herd good and bad about them so who has had problems and is there a way around it
I have the RC long arm upgrade. the kit is nice in its self for a radius arm setup. Mine performs very well. I haven't had any unloading issues, and it is very flexy. it rides nice too. I like you got it for a VERY good deal (about half the listed price) so it seamed as a no brainier....

The down fall.... the Joints are horrible. the ones that originally came in the kit went bad (had play/made noise) in about 2-3 weeks of road use after the first trail (med obstacles) It had lots of play. you could see my axle roll forward and back by grabbing the tire and rolling the jeep....(went threw a few sets) So I called and Finally got some of the New updated joints(free) I must say that it DID make it better. they have been on for about 8 months now and They have minimal play and Zero noise. I have had it off road 15-20 times and ran very hard trails, even bombed very roads at 45-50 mph and they are still quiet but are starting to get a little play. so thats annoying

My honest opinion about buying it is based on a few things...

1- If you buy the kit, buy new joints NOW. and NEVER run the RC joints. Currie's JJ's fit the arms and are a good option, as well as many hiems and other joints like tera-flex and trail-gears creeper joints ect. Just get the correct threaded joints. So take the joint cost into consideration from the start. (the joints are only 1 year warranty just FYI)

2- Do you really want a radius arm setup? thats a choice for you. there are better and more $$ options out there but its really up to you and the use of your vehicle that comes into play.

3- I would only buy it if its the cheapest option for you. as thats what it is IMHO. it is NOT a horrible, or dangerous choice. its held up well other then the joints which is irritating but nothing Huge in the big picture.

all based on my first had experience. others may disagree. But I would look into 3 link/4 link/radius and there benefits/draw backs (different topic) as they all behave differently. then weight the cost/befit for your self.

pic of mine flexing, full stuff on drivers side, full droop on passenger side (limited with limiting straps) just showing articulation is not a problem...

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 10-10-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by NorCalJeep
They should get a thread started for RC. And it should have people that have purchased their product, and used it. From what I HEARD, is that their products tend to wear out faster than other quality kits, such as RE.
There is such a thread:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/rc...-short-131188/
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM

So is it just the uppers everyone is having trouble with or what and what is the currie part number if anyone has it
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by dlong83
So is it just the uppers everyone is having trouble with or what and what is the currie part number if anyone has it
all 4 joints have issue. peopl don't say anything about the lower axle side bushings... mine are fine.

here are the ends you need(from searching) , uppers and lowers, 2 of each

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...9.aspx?id=2629
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...9.aspx?id=2961

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 10-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj

all 4 joints have issue. peopl don't say anything about the lower axle side bushings... mine are fine.

here are the ends you need(from searching) , uppers and lowers, 2 of each

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...9.aspx?id=2961
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...9.aspx?id=2629
Thanks for all the help! The link wont work so if you get a chance pm me the part number thanks guys