Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Upgrade Question(s)

So I ordered a Smittybilt package (was on sale through quadratec - $1200 for XRC Front winch bumper, rear xrc bumper w/ tire carrier and xrc rock sliders). My biggest question is while I'm installing these is there any other upgrades I should be doing? The front bumper looks like the steering gear box bolts need to be removed so I figured I should replace the box with a durango box and a c-rok bracket. But I'm not sure if I need frame stiffners or not... The bumper comes with an outside frame mounting plate but doesn't say anything about the inner frame. Should I pick up some inner stiffners as well? Anything else that I should upgrade in that area while I'm already there?

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:58 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

Originally Posted by Jakers
So I ordered a Smittybilt package (was on sale through quadratec - $1200 for XRC Front winch bumper, rear xrc bumper w/ tire carrier and xrc rock sliders). My biggest question is while I'm installing these is there any other upgrades I should be doing? The front bumper looks like the steering gear box bolts need to be removed so I figured I should replace the box with a durango box and a c-rok bracket. But I'm not sure if I need frame stiffners or not... The bumper comes with an outside frame mounting plate but doesn't say anything about the inner frame. Should I pick up some inner stiffners as well? Anything else that I should upgrade in that area while I'm already there?

Thanks for the input!
The extra bracket isn't really necessary. The bumper bracket acts as a more than sufficient stiffener. And sure, go ahead and switch to a durango box for no advantage. It's just a larger housing; which isn't the usual point of failure. It's the bearings, seals and output shaft. Which are the exact same in a durango box. Which is a non variable box. Which if you consider a higher likely hood or ripping your thumbs off or working the wheel that much, then sure, do a durango box. I think people commonly mistake a higher response for added power.
Stiffeners are almost never a bad idea, provided they are installed properly. I really think they should be welded, rather than bolt on. If you go over a 37" tire or do alot of winching, front section stiffening is a really good idea.
It sounds like steering may be a concern of yours so I'd upgrade that. Often it's an under sold improvement.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I've seen outer unibody brackets from HD bumpers offer next to no protection against unibody cracking from the steering box. I have a friend with outer unibody tie-ins and 35-inch tires, and he's suffered a crack just in front of one of the steering box bolts.

The inner bracket and the outer bracket are just going to sandwich each other together and put more stress on the thinner unibody metal, so I've never really understood the point of the inner steering box "stiffener braces," but you can always run a steering box brace that ties into the opposing side of the unibody for added rigidity, like the one by M.O.R.E.

I would vote up for welded stiffeners if you wheel hard. And agree with the previous poster about the Durango box being a waste of time.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:01 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I swapped to a Durango box. It is shorter turns lock to lock but other than that I noticed no difference. Just rebuild your factory box or buy a new one. It is a direct swap if you use your xj pitman arm tho so if you want to go that route, its a simple swap
Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Think I'll pass on the Durango box then. I don't wheel very hard, just figured since I would be tinkering in the area might as well. I was going to upgrade my steering linkage but then saw this deal. Steering will have to wait another month or so.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Don't wheel hard with stock tie rods. That's my only advice to you
Old 09-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
I've seen outer unibody brackets from HD bumpers offer next to no protection against unibody cracking from the steering box. I have a friend with outer unibody tie-ins and 35-inch tires, and he's suffered a crack just in front of one of the steering box bolts.

The inner bracket and the outer bracket are just going to sandwich each other together and put more stress on the thinner unibody metal, so I've never really understood the point of the inner steering box "stiffener braces," but you can always run a steering box brace that ties into the opposing side of the unibody for added rigidity, like the one by M.O.R.E.

I would vote up for welded stiffeners if you wheel hard. And agree with the previous poster about the Durango box being a waste of time.
If you're going to do a steering box brace, I recommend the ones that bolt into BOTH sides of the frame - i.e . KevinsOffRoad or BoosterWerks. I'm running 35's on 6.5" up front on the stock steering box, the steering brace makes all the difference, IMO.

If you are looking to stiffen the frame and NOT do a full cage, go for Detours Stiffeners. (Check out option #3 - $295) They bolt on at the front bolt of your rear leaf spring, then you peg them in place with a self tapping screw, and then weld through the rosette holes and the front tab. I put these things on and then drove it over to my buddies place to weld them up; without even being welded ALL the squeaks and creaks were gone. Wheeled it for a while and it COMPLETELY stiffened up the frame. In fact, when I finally put in the full cage, the difference in stiffness was not that much more!

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Don't wheel hard with stock tie rods. That's my only advice to you
x2
Old 09-07-2015, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

my warn bumper has larger holes to go around the steering box bolts, this way you don't have to remove those as they're known to snap off in the box.

you could always cut the holes to fit around the bolt heads. there are plenty other bolts to compensate, imho.