Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push button starting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Push button starting question

Hey,
Having massive ignition problems.
Right now what I want to do is put in a push button start and a switch for accessories and ignition
found a diagram of how to do this on here, but it was kind of vague
Basically what I really need to know is, where to you run power to get your acc to turn on, and where do you run power to get your ign to turn on. Please help. I feel stupid not knowing, but I can't figure it out. Just need basic instructions like

"Run a wire from your switch to _(insert part here, preferably with picture or at least general location)__"

thank you very much. right now I'm starting it under the hood, turning the ign on with the key, and I have no acc like wipers, signals, heat, radio, etc. It's freaking cold!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

if the problems are in the column then what you want to do may still be there. I'd check to see where the real problem lies before starting that. If it is not in the column then go for it.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 PM

I tried getting into the column but I couldn't get the ignition cylinder out and I ran out of time. I want to fix it right, but right now I just need to make it work. I will be able to mess with it next weekend but until then, I really need to band-aid It because the first time it starts raining, or I need to defrost the windshield I'm screwed.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:29 PM

I know someone out there must have an answer for me. Please help.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Im gonna try to explain this as best as possible for you....

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/pu...w-o-key-98963/

this is everything you need to know
Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

ok not to be a total dick but there was a how-to on this put up bout half hour before you posted this question, sorry but the lack of searching is getting annoying.

and here ya go, another one to go with the one DMAXX posted

i know its for a 2000 but its not much different, colors may have changed but an FSM can help ya figure out wire colors.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ea...000-xj-109640/

merry christmas all.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:37 AM

Thank you very much.
I did find the one for the 2000, and asked in there how you would go about doing it if you didn't have a key because I'm not sure if mine's going to keep turning for much longer. It's gotten to where I really have to put a lot of pressure and the metal piece of the ignition snapped off so I'm putting all the pressure on the key itself and I'm pretty sure it'll break soon if I keep doing it like that.
Thank you for the reply, and I did try searching but I guess I must have missed the one from earlier, or it didn't really make a lot of sense to me, one way or another. I looked at a few posts that looked promising, but I have to admit my level of electrical understanding is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale.

DMAXX, that was exactly what I needed. I'll get it going in the morning. I think I have two switches that will work.

Thank you both and merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

seems easyer to fix it right then all this jm2cw
Old 12-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Like I said, I'd like to fix it right. Tried to tear apart the column but I couldn't get the ignition cylinder out. Maybe you could help me. I pulled the steering wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch thing, I could see the cylinder. Depressed the pin on the bottom and tried to wiggle and pry the danged thing out for over an hour with no luck. Without that I can't get the collar off the column.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by justinburnett
Like I said, I'd like to fix it right. Tried to tear apart the column but I couldn't get the ignition cylinder out. Maybe you could help me. I pulled the steering wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch thing, I could see the cylinder. Depressed the pin on the bottom and tried to wiggle and pry the danged thing out for over an hour with no luck. Without that I can't get the collar off the column.
here a pretty extensive how-to that ive used

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...n+lock+removal
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 PM

Alright, so I tried what was in the link that DMAXX posted.

Failure ensued.

I don't know if all the wires are colored differently in a 1992 but all I ended up with were some sparks, and the loss of my front emergency flashers. I'm bad at this.

Just to clarify, would the wire insulation be colored differently in a 1992?

Basically, what I really need to know is what wire to run power to to give the accessories (i.e. wipers, heat fan, turn signals) power.

Last edited by justinburnett; 12-26-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by mud-dog27
here a pretty extensive how-to that ive used

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...n+lock+removal
Thanks for this, but it won't work.

I don't know why, I was told before that there was a screw holding the ignition in, but when I got it open, there wasn't. Something else is pinning it in and I can't get it to budge at all.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:38 AM

Alright, so I tried what was in the link that DMAXX posted.

Failure ensued.

I don't know if all the wires are colored differently in a 1992 but all I ended up with were some sparks, and the loss of my front emergency flashers. I'm bad at this.

Just to clarify, would the wire insulation be colored differently in a 1992?

Basically, what I really need to know is what wire to run power to to give the accessories (i.e. wipers, heat fan, turn signals) power.
its very likely the colors changed over the years only way to be sure is to start reading schematics in a chiltons/haynes/fsm if ya need the FSM in PDF format im sure i have the link around here somewhere its far better information then you will ever get from those assclowns that write the haynes/chiltons manuals

Thanks for this, but it won't work.

I don't know why, I was told before that there was a screw holding the ignition in, but when I got it open, there wasn't. Something else is pinning it in and I can't get it to budge at all.
Hmmm not sure what to tell ya then its always been a screw in there in my experience, yours might have a roll pin but cant say for sure without seeing it.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L I6

on my 2000 theres a white plastic connector on the left of the column opposite the key. the red wire is the power to that system.

the YELLOW wire is the starter wire...

i put my switch inline with the power so my accessories didnt have to be hardwired. i just leave the "key" in the on position and use switch for on off.(my key broke off) but you can use a multi meter to find the acc wires that need power and splice them to the red wire after the switch to power them if you have to.

this is the plug you need

theres only a few other wires there you may need to splice to power to. again if you can turn your key forward then dont mess with it, just use the switch.

heres my soft write up...
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ea...000-xj-109640/
Old 12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L I6

what year is this???

Quick Reply: Push button starting question