Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertrax Lockright question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Powertrax Lockright question

Need a bit of help here gents, and my thanks in advance.
I've had a Powertrax Lockright in my corporate 8.25 for a little over two years. I don't abuse a vehicle, but I do use it. Powertrax says to expect some noise, no problem, I expect some noise.
About a week ago I was heading to the boonies, on a dirt road. Came to an intersection where I needed to make a 90 degree turn. As I began to slowly accelerate around the turn, I had a bang that made me think I got hit from behind by another vehicle. Nobody else around for miles, but it felt like I got hit by a pickup at speed. I got out and looked to see WTF, but nothing. It pulled away smoothly and no more problems that day.
Then about 3-4 days later the same thing on a paved road, just taking off from a traffic light. Not quite as pronounced, but substantial. Twice more in the following week, again not so heavy as the first time, but very noticeable. Way more than the norm I had been used to. Anybody else have a problem like that? Any ideas/suggestions? It seems to work fine, goes everywhere I point it, but I've got a trip coming up and don't need problems. I plan to call the manufacturer later this week, but wanted to see if y'all had any experience like mine. Thanks
Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

Originally Posted by azhobo
Need a bit of help here gents, and my thanks in advance.
I've had a Powertrax Lockright in my corporate 8.25 for a little over two years. I don't abuse a vehicle, but I do use it. Powertrax says to expect some noise, no problem, I expect some noise.
About a week ago I was heading to the boonies, on a dirt road. Came to an intersection where I needed to make a 90 degree turn. As I began to slowly accelerate around the turn, I had a bang that made me think I got hit from behind by another vehicle. Nobody else around for miles, but it felt like I got hit by a pickup at speed. I got out and looked to see WTF, but nothing. It pulled away smoothly and no more problems that day.
Then about 3-4 days later the same thing on a paved road, just taking off from a traffic light. Not quite as pronounced, but substantial. Twice more in the following week, again not so heavy as the first time, but very noticeable. Way more than the norm I had been used to. Anybody else have a problem like that? Any ideas/suggestions? It seems to work fine, goes everywhere I point it, but I've got a trip coming up and don't need problems. I plan to call the manufacturer later this week, but wanted to see if y'all had any experience like mine. Thanks
Bob
I had a lock right in my tacoma that would "unload" occasionally (1-2 times a week), even my noslip in my xj does it once in a blue moon. If its doing it a lot check your tire pressure or maybe be time to put new springs/pins in the locker
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i second that idea. you may need new springs and pins.

also while you're in there, clean it all good with some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

i've had my lock-rite in for about 6 years and it's only unloaded a couple of times.
other than changing diff fluid twice per season and cleaning it all with brake cleaner, that's all i've done.
but they're known to unload and bang when you're not expecting it.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by caged
i second that idea. you may need new springs and pins.

also while you're in there, clean it all good with some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

i've had my lock-rite in for about 6 years and it's only unloaded a couple of times.
other than changing diff fluid twice per season and cleaning it all with brake cleaner, that's all i've done.
but they're known to unload and bang when you're not expecting it.
Thats what i was thinking
Old 01-04-2012, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

sorry not trying to highjack tha thread but iv been thinking bout put a Powertrax Lockright locker up front in my dana 30 is this a good idea
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: straight 6

Originally Posted by xjjeeper
sorry not trying to highjack tha thread but iv been thinking bout put a Powertrax Lockright locker up front in my dana 30 is this a good idea
Yes I love mine.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by Jeep95
Yes I love mine.
thanks thats what i was hoping to hear....
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 PM

Year: 97
Default Re: Powertrax question

Thanks to each of you for your input. So far no response from Richmond Gear. They have an answering machine at their end, no people yet.
If/when I learn something, I'll put it up.
Bob