Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping in suspension after lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Popping in suspension after lift

i just put a 4.5" rubicon express lift on my cherokee. took it down the street last night and the front had a lot of popping. it was late so i waited till today to mess around with it a bit. i greased all the fittings and rechecked all the bolts to make sure i didn't miss anything. drove it again and at first it was better but the more i drove the popping started coming back. its when you hit bumps the suspension makes popping sounds on both sides but mostly on the passenger side. is this normal and will it go away over time or is there something i should be checking out?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Same happened to me, my sway bar links were too long and were hitting the body up top, you can tell because these things will dent it pretty bad :X
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

sway bar you dont need no stinking sway bar
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM

i'll have to look into this because i know the sway bar is jacked up pretty high
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

sway bar isn't it. just disconnected it and it was still making the same noise. i bought the lift used.could it be that the superflex joints are worn and knocking around?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you make sure to torque the control arm bushing bolts after it was set back on the ground? If you torque them while up in the air, and set the Jeep down, you'll bind up the bushings. If this was done correctly, See if you get the noise while in reverse when letting on and off the brake pedal. The sleeves in the lower control arm may be seperated from the bushings.. Very hard to tell when you can't actually feel it. Good luck man!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

yah you guys beat me to it
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM

yeah i tightened everything up after it was on the ground. do you think it would be worth a shot loosening them up and driving it back and forth a couple feet then retighten them? the sound is like someone is taking a hammer or something and hitting the subframe like a loud pop/knocking sound. you can push the front end up and down while it's sitting there and there is no sound at all. i need to get this figured out because driving around like this will drive me crazy.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spdyracer
yeah i tightened everything up after it was on the ground. do you think it would be worth a shot loosening them up and driving it back and forth a couple feet then retighten them? the sound is like someone is taking a hammer or something and hitting the subframe like a loud pop/knocking sound. you can push the front end up and down while it's sitting there and there is no sound at all. i need to get this figured out because driving around like this will drive me crazy.

It wouldn't hurt to loosen them a few threads to get the tension off of them and buzz it around the block once or twice and then torque them down. Once they are torqued drive it again. If the noise is still there, take a prybar and move the control arms at the bushings and see if there is excessive play in the bushing or see if the sleeves seperated from the bushings themselves. I had this problem but I also had that loud clunk while in reverse as I stated earlier. Good luck.