Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please direct me to thread if this was posted already

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please direct me to thread if this was posted already

Here is my problem. I have a 95 XJ, the other day I was doing a 4wd test just in case the weather decided make snow. I started up the jeep, attempted to pull into 4hi, and could not. I had my wife come out, and just pull on the shifter so I could see if the transfer case linkage was in a bind. This is my 2nd XJ, and I did not have that problem with it, so this is relatively new to me. I am looking for pictures or suggestions on a fix so I can at least get the transfer case to engage 4hi. Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

If it's never been in 4wd it can be a pain sometimes. Get it good and warm, drive around 15-20 minutes and try 4hi moving about 5mph in drive. If that doesn't work try neutral. They don't like going in in park and always put it in neutral for 4lo. I have to rock mine sometimes to get it into 4lo and I have an aftermarket shifter.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L straight Six

Agreed, warm it up, try moving slowly while engaging the TC. Works on mine, its sticks occasionally too.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 PM

I tried pulling on the shifter at 5 mph, and have tried it in neutral, after driving home from work, so it was good and warm. While I was under it yesterday, having my wife move the tc shifter up and down I watched where the linkage comes up to a bar, looks like it might be 4-5 inches long and slides into a bracket where the linkage then goes to the tc. That bar looks bent. Also read about replacing bushings at that pivot point. I have yet to unscrew the plug to check fluid level, which I bet should be my first thing. Hope my descriptions helped a little better...
Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Year: 1994 sport 2dr
Engine: 4.0 ho

I had to lube mine up last week. I let it sit for a couple of week and got in and had trouble getting into 4wd. just shot some pb blaster on it and works great now
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM

As tight as it feels, I am afraid I will snap the shifter or the linkage. I did load it with pb blaster. Now here is something I forgot to mention. Most mornings after it has sit all night, if I don't go out and let it warm up, when I put it in gear it feels like its in 4lo. It even jumps like its in 4wd if you crank the wheel right or left. it accelerates like its in 4lo, high rpms, slow to move, but give it some gas, and in about 100 yards or so it feels like it slips out, and away I go...

Last edited by JET3180; 01-19-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM

So I went out after work, mind you, its snowing here...pulled into my car port on ramps....jeep is still there, I will see if my mobile app will let me post pics...I had my wife move the shift lever again...everything moves on the linkage...could it be an internal tc problem? I ran out of feeling in my hands and daylight so I will pull the plug and check the fluid tomorrow. And if I am correct, its dex 3 tranny fluid? And if I need to, what is the suggested way to do a cheap, but effective rebuild? I plan on replacing the u-joints soon, and if I do I was debating on taking out the tc and looking at the internals to find a problem if I can't get it to engage without the linkage attached.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 PM

Is it possible that bar in the center of the linkage is rusted solid, does it even rotate when pull up on the shifter?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 PM

In need of some advice here, getting frustrated. I finally got some time and decent weather unbolted the fill plug on the tc, stuck my finger in there...nothing, unbolted the drain plug...it puked a little black liquid, and I stuck my finger in there, found some gravel. Drove to O'Reilly got some Dex lll, got home, filled up tc...still won't engage. I crawled under again and looked at the linkage again...there is a bolt on the rod attached to the shifter looks like an adjustment bolt...if the linkage angle is off, will it make it impossible to get the tc into gear? Please help...I can get pics after work its supposed to snow...I want to have some fun..lol
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM

can you pop the linkage off and shift it by hand with the little tab on the t case?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM

I have not done that yet, should it move relatively easily by hand, or are we looking at using vice grips and a dead blow hammer? Are those bushings easy to find if I break one? What is the easiest method for popping them apart?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by JET3180
I have not done that yet, should it move relatively easily by hand, or are we looking at using vice grips and a dead blow hammer? Are those bushings easy to find if I break one? What is the easiest method for popping them apart?
take a flat head and pop the linkage out of the tab. takes some leverage to move it by hand but you should be able to unless your a puss.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Definitely not a puss, I just did not want break anything...wife is already agitated enough at our other car...01 grand prix, blew intakes...another time and another forum for that POS. I don't want to have to tell her I need to visit a junkyard to get another tc and spend more money. Again...another time, another forum...seems like anytime I have some crawling to do under a vehicle...rain, snow...500 mph winds....son of a.....