Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OTA Track Bar Joints and Lengths

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L
Default OTA Track Bar Joints and Lengths

Cliffnotes: What style joint is best suited for a daily driven OTA trackbar? What frame side mount will get me the most length possible?

So I have been planning a WJ swap for quite some time now. I have been doing a ton of reading, mostly on pirate, but I've noticed almost everybody has a different opinion and approach to their track bar. I have reached a point where all my research has left me up in the air for these questions:

What style joint will be best suited for use in the track bar on a daily driver? By best I'm really looking for longevity. I don't want to be replacing joints every year and I need a joint that can stay tight while still providing flex that keeps up with long arms and OTK steering.

I know many people run heims but at the same time I've heard many people say they hate heims. The trails up here in New England can be pretty muddy which makes me think heims could get full of crud and ruin the contact surface. If I did go heim I would spend the coin on a good joint which I have read makes a big difference but I am still not sold.

I've seen some people running johnnys on their track bars. I like the idea of rebuildable johnny joints but again I'm concerned about the longevity of the bushings inside. I have also heard people talking about flex joints with adjustable preload so you could cheat some more time out of a joint by tightening it.

My intuition tells me heims would give a tighter feel because there is no rubber but this would be coming from a track bar with bushings on both ends. Not to mention just about every OEM application ever made has had rubber bushings on atleast one end. I want to stick with a bushing on the axle end to help absorb some force and prevent possibly cracking the unibody rail.

Another point I want to address is length. I'm most likely going to run the JKS or Ruffstuff axle end bracket which will put the axle end just to the inside of the coil. I have looked around for a frame end bracket that will cheat me the most length possible but, again, haven't found much for answers. I'm really looking for an inch or two if I can to keep the length as close to the draglink as possible. 0

So what is everybody doing for their bars and mounts? Anything you would do different if you were to do it again?

P.S. I'm currently running an IRO double shear, FWIW.