Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Arm Kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8
Default Long Arm Kits

Looking for opinions on long arm kits. I stuffed my 4.5" springs and 2" spacers on my 86 over the weekend and for sure need aftermarket arms. looking into doing IRO long arm kit.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Synergy, Clayton, TNT, RE. IMO, no on the IRO.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by almostamos
Synergy, Clayton, TNT, RE. IMO, no on the IRO.
Whats your reasoning for not on IRO? Do you have first hand experience?

I have serious offroads like them
Old 03-24-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0l 310,000 miles

are you leaning toward any particular set-up such 3-link , 4- link , radius arm? do you care if the transfercase crossmember is three piece or one piece? some set ups use frame rails and you keep the stock crossmember. Can you weld? what about doing frame stiffeners first? B.Lee's offroad has a 3-link also.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by zebvance

I have serious offroads like them
IMO, the adjuster on the top driver side CA is complete ****.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

B lees 3 link is what I'm going to get when I go long arm.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:37 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by neverenuff
are you leaning toward any particular set-up such 3-link , 4- link , radius arm? do you care if the transfercase crossmember is three piece or one piece? some set ups use frame rails and you keep the stock crossmember. Can you weld? what about doing frame stiffeners first? B.Lee's offroad has a 3-link also.

want to mainly stick with 4 link, but everything I have seen about Rustys, RE, and Rouch country; I have only heard good about IRO and B. Lee. and the IRO can be orders with an adjustable UCA instead of that flimsy caster adjustment As far as transmission cross member, right now I am running an AX5/NP207, but will be swapping over to AX15/NP231. so not too sure if the crossmembers are similar or very different. also I will be doing center section stiffeners and can weld like a ****, do it most of my day at work. I will be doing the stiffeners when I do the long arms. right now my rig is in full blown build mode and also I should note that I am doing a 4.3l v6 swap... personally, my rig is going to be pretty **** when its done
Old 03-24-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0l 310,000 miles

sounds like a great plan. If going with 4-link, I believe your choices are limited to Synergy, Rusty's competition four link and maybe TNT. Have you thought about cutting off and replacing the LCA mounts on the axle? I plated and boxed the stock mounts, came out pretty nice IMO.... should be easy for you. The combo of frame stiffies and long arm gives a way different ride to the XJ. Feels more solid and road bumps disappeared.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by zebvance
oh god please, no, not this again!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If money is no problem i would go tnt customs,The crossmember/skid plate is big and tucked up under the jeep better then most others.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PNWpioneer
Looking for opinions on long arm kits. I stuffed my 4.5" springs and 2" spacers on my 86 over the weekend and for sure need aftermarket arms. looking into doing IRO long arm kit.
I just recently last month put a IRO Critical Path 6.5 kit on my 99 XJ.

It's an awesome setup. The Camber Adjust once set up PROPERLY is a one time deal and solid as a rock.

If you need fresh pics, let me know.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

That caster adjuster is garbage flat out. I've seen a couple removed and the kit was upgraded to a real upper and a few broken bolts. I can call a turd a diamond all day but it's still a piece of ****

If you need fresh pics don't ask because no one wants to publish the fact that they bought a kit from a company that tried to reinvent the wheel and failed
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Atmos
That caster adjuster is garbage flat out. I've seen a couple removed and the kit was upgraded to a real upper and a few broken bolts. I can call a turd a diamond all day but it's still a piece of ****

If you need fresh pics don't ask because no one wants to publish the fact that they bought a kit from a company that tried to reinvent the wheel and failed
I can appreciate your opinion and feedback, but getting personal crosses the line a bit.

Condemn a product because a few failures? Nobody is perfect.

If nobody ever thought outside the box or tried to be innovative, do you you think you'd ever be driving what you are now?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Clayton hands down, I really like their stuff. My friend put a long arm lift from Clayton on his wj everything I saw was top notch craftsmanship wise. I bought my kit from Sirius offroad haven't put it in hero 2.0 yet, I am doing it soon. You don't need to necessarily do the stiffeners first you can just cut out that section of the stiffners. But best to do it first if you can.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by Reble

I can appreciate your opinion and feedback, but getting personal crosses the line a bit.

Condemn a product because a few failures? Nobody is perfect.

If nobody ever thought outside the box or tried to be innovative, do you you think you'd ever be driving what you are now?
Alright. I'm going to say it. How is his statement a personal attack? I see nothing directed towards you as a person. I see his input on the product. A product that I agree 190% with him on.
If someone giving their personal opinion on a product that you have only had a week hurts your feelings, maybe the internet isn't a place you you.

Iro caster adjuster design is a horrible design. Dangerous also. I have seen tons fail.
Yes I will condemn a product that has had failures. Even more so when it's a safety issue. Rc and rustys both had track bar failures. They got **** for that too.

You want to get butt hurt because someone called the lift you use ****? Gtfo with that Crap.

Last edited by odgreen; 03-27-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Long Arm Kits