Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noobie question about lifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Noobie question about lifts

Before you read and criticize - YES I am new to the lifted aspect of a a Jeep Cherokee. I don't know a lot when it comes to lift kits and such..
I am planning on lifting my cherokee within the near future and I have few questions.
What lift would you recommend for;
1) Will still be my DD (Little to no offroad)
2) Max height of 3" of lift

I was looking at Iron rock offroad, and the price seems pretty damn good for everything in their kit. but is there anything else that I need to buy that isn't mentioned in the kit? Pretty much what I'm asking is what is every component to make this lift installation pretty much complete. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...t_Code=IR-X3LK

Thanks...
Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want friendly answers try. www.xjtalk.com they are pretty helpful
as far as a lift. and the prices.
i buy stuff on ebay.
front coils 3" $140
3" leaf packs $210
shocks $150
brake lines front and rear $60
drop pitman arm $28
TC drop. hardware store bolts and find spacers $5
The following users liked this post:
Pkizzy (04-03-2021)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah hard to get friendly answers on this forum. You got a lot of guys who will just rip into you for not using the search function first. It's pretty annoying really.

Anyway you might want to consider getting a lift with full leaf packs instead of an add-a-leaf that kit comes with. Add-a-leafs a really poor choice as they ride hard and will only be as good as your existing leafs are.

Stay away from Rough Country as they ride really rough as well.

Here's my suggestion:http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j21-j22

With this lift you will also need a transfer case drop kit and either an adjustable track bar ( preferred) or at the very least a track bar relocation bracket.

Hope that helped!

Last edited by SoloShot; 08-26-2014 at 08:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pkizzy (04-03-2021)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Ok, I'll bite...
You guys are approaching this all wrong. Some friendly advice, do a little research, check out some build threads, websites, and yes, search.
The reason people tell you this, is because it has all been covered in multiple threads. You can learn a lot from these and then narrow your questions to a more specific issue. This not only helps you, but it helps everyone else by getting new information out there.
Now, I'm going to go back and read your post again and offer my opinion.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pines
Before you read and criticize - YES I am new to the lifted aspect of a a Jeep Cherokee. I don't know a lot when it comes to lift kits and such..
I am planning on lifting my cherokee within the near future and I have few questions.
What lift would you recommend for;
1) Will still be my DD (Little to no offroad)
2) Max height of 3" of lift

I was looking at Iron rock offroad, and the price seems pretty damn good for everything in their kit. but is there anything else that I need to buy that isn't mentioned in the kit? Pretty much what I'm asking is what is every component to make this lift installation pretty much complete. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...t_Code=IR-X3LK

Thanks...
That kit will have everything you need for now. I would suggest you invest in full leaf packs. Add a leaf tends to work for a short period of time since the existing leafs already have xxxxxxx miles on them and are probably sagging a good amount. This will wear out the added leaf quickly and you will then be upgrading to full leafs anyway.
Other brands to consider.
Springs: Rubicon Express (serious offroad is a forum vendor), Rusty's, BDS, Clayton.
Shocks: Bilstein, fox, etc...
Brake lines: crown, rugged ridge, toxic.
Don't forget tires in your budget.

As another note, it is very helpful to list the specs of your XJ when asking these questions. Parts for most things are interchangeable, but certain items will be year/configuration specific.
Best of luck.

@rabies, you should also check out www.pirate4x4.com.

Last edited by 98XJ40K; 08-26-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

This is what AAL did to my main. Not the best shot but you can see where it is warping it.

Zone AAL btw.
Attached Thumbnails Noobie question about lifts-image-1263220576.jpg  

Last edited by Tsaani97xj; 08-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Look at the Rusyts Off Road full spring/leaf 3" lift American made springs & coils and hold up very well 2 yrs. now on mine zero sag, good price as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by SoloShot
Yeah hard to get friendly answers on this forum. You got a lot of guys who will just rip into you for not using the search function first. It's pretty annoying really.

Anyway you might want to consider getting a lift with full leaf packs instead of an add-a-leaf that kit comes with. Add-a-leafs a really poor choice as they ride hard and will only be as good as your existing leafs are.

Stay away from Rough Country as they ride really rough as well.

Here's my suggestion:http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j21-j22

With this lift you will also need a transfer case drop kit and either an adjustable track bar ( preferred) or at the very least a track bar relocation bracket.

Hope that helped!
Yeah, I'll admit I see why full leaf springs are better in the long run, even tho they're a bit costier

Originally Posted by 98XJ40K
Ok, I'll bite...
You guys are approaching this all wrong. Some friendly advice, do a little research, check out some build threads, websites, and yes, search.
The reason people tell you this, is because it has all been covered in multiple threads. You can learn a lot from these and then narrow your questions to a more specific issue. This not only helps you, but it helps everyone else by getting new information out there.
Now, I'm going to go back and read your post again and offer my opinion.
Originally Posted by 98XJ40K
That kit will have everything you need for now. I would suggest you invest in full leaf packs. Add a leaf tends to work for a short period of time since the existing leafs already have xxxxxxx miles on them and are probably sagging a good amount. This will wear out the added leaf quickly and you will then be upgrading to full leafs anyway.
Other brands to consider.
Springs: Rubicon Express (serious offroad is a forum vendor), Rusty's, BDS, Clayton.
Shocks: Bilstein, fox, etc...
Brake lines: crown, rugged ridge, toxic.
Don't forget tires in your budget.

As another note, it is very helpful to list the specs of your XJ when asking these questions. Parts for most things are interchangeable, but certain items will be year/configuration specific.
Best of luck.

@rabies, you should also check out www.pirate4x4.com.
Apologies, and yeah I should've listed my specs - since my stock leafs have 150k~ on them I agree I should get full leafs instead of doing AAL

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Look at the Rusyts Off Road full spring/leaf 3" lift American made springs & coils and hold up very well 2 yrs. now on mine zero sag, good price as well.
What tires do you have on your rig? Mind snapping a few pics for me when you get a chance?

I think I'm going to go with the Zone 3" lift kit w/full leafs that SoloShot linked. And another question; will I need extended brake lines if I'm only doing a 3" lift? I read somewhere that stock ones should be okay until you start doing 4+ inch lifts, but I don't know if that's right or not.
I also want to make sure that I have everything so when the time comes I can just order it and not have something missing.
Here's what I have so far:
Zone 3" lift w/ sway bar disconnects - http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-...erokee/j21-j22
Ironman4x4fab rear lift shackles - http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/RLS.html
Adjustable track bar - ?? Open to suggestions
Extended brake lines - not sure if I need them?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM

Extended brake lines would be a good idea. You don't want them to be your limiting factor when you flex the suspension... bad things will happen when they break. I used stock YJ or TJ lines in the front (can't remember which at the moment). They are cheap and will allow for plenty of travel, especially if you straighten your hard line and reattach it to the inside of the wheel well.
check the specs of the shackles you linked. I could not tell if they add any lift at their lowest setting. Your full leaf packs will net more than 3" until they settle. If the shackles add more, you may have some serious rake going on.