Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New Steering Box

Recently my steering box has been making a bunch of popping noises. I know that the seal is leaking or was leaking at one point. I've got a front locker and 33's.. Probably contributed to the wearing out of the steering box? I just bought a MORE steering box brace. but I know I need to upgrade boxes. Should I go for the Durango steering box upgrade or just put another stock one in? I read that the Durango should bolt right up. Any advice will help. Thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by futch4032
Recently my steering box has been making a bunch of popping noises. I know that the seal is leaking or was leaking at one point. I've got a front locker and 33's.. Probably contributed to the wearing out of the steering box? I just bought a MORE steering box brace. but I know I need to upgrade boxes. Should I go for the Durango steering box upgrade or just put another stock one in? I read that the Durango should bolt right up. Any advice will help. Thanks
Yes a steering box from 98-99 non plow models will drop right In
Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 PM

So I just picked up a Durango steering box from the local junkyard. I just realized it has the slightest amount of play in the splined shaft where the pitman arm slides onto. Does this matter? Also i know I have the stock steering box spacer (aluminum one). Worth ordering the JCR brace? and waiting to put in the durango box?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

So I just picked up a Durango steering box from the local junkyard. I just realized it has the slightest amount of play in the splined shaft where the pitman arm slides onto. Does this matter? Also i know I have the stock steering box spacer (aluminum one). Worth ordering the JCR brace? and waiting to put in the durango box?
The jcr spacer definitely is worth it. Anything beefier than the oem aluminum spacer is worth it lol.

I didn't do the Durango swap yet and I'm not sure about the "play". I never bothered around with steering pumps before. Hopefully someone will come along soon and answer that question.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just actually picked up a JCR spacer the other day for the same reason, so I might be a little bias, but I think its cheap insurance. Will you notice any performance gain? Na; it's a preventative measure to protect your frame. In the most simple terms, it simply spreads the load across a much broader footprint, when compared to the aluminum spacer, and obviously less prone to break; which could leave you in a mess on the trail.

If you wheel your truck regularly and you're taking that box off for any reason, I suggest you stretch for the $35 bucks and get one. It couldn't hurt.

As for the Durango box, what dude-buddy above said is correct. They are the same across all engine models (from my research) within those years. Do you need it? Probably not, but if you compare it to the price of the XJ box, it's not THAT much more. I really think the stock box is probably stronger than a lot of people give them credit. Most of the people who have damage their stock box has probably never changed it. So you have to think of how many cycles that thing has already gone through. Not to mention, it feels EVERY hit to the steering.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM

So my steering box is getting a lot worse. Making more and more popping noises everyday. The jcr spacers should be in tomorrow. The only thing I'm worried about is the Durango box I got from the pick and pull. Has the slightest amount of play in the shaft. Only payed 75 bucks for it. But my stock box has play in the shaft now, and leaking.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

So my steering box is getting a lot worse. Making more and more popping noises everyday. The jcr spacers should be in tomorrow. The only thing I'm worried about is the Durango box I got from the pick and pull. Has the slightest amount of play in the shaft. Only payed 75 bucks for it. But my stock box has play in the shaft now, and leaking.
I'd swap it ya. What kind of noises does it make and when does it occur? Not to thread jack just wondering
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4

I'd swap it ya. What kind of noises does it make and when does it occur? Not to thread jack just wondering
When I turn the steering wheel either way it'll make a quick creak and pop noise
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

When I turn the steering wheel either way it'll make a quick creak and pop noise
As soon as you touch the wheel or during the turn
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

My XJ does/did it too. That noise may be from your track bar (?) make sure everything is tight.

I'm also planning on doing the Durango swap this summer. I priced them up at Napa.... something like $130 +/- once you bring yours back for the core charge. Let us know how it goes, I've never screwed with steering boxes..

Good luck
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr

My XJ does/did it too. That noise may be from your track bar (?) make sure everything is tight.

I'm also planning on doing the Durango swap this summer. I priced them up at Napa.... something like $130 +/- once you bring yours back for the core charge. Let us know how it goes, I've never screwed with steering boxes..

Good luck
Thanks, yeah I just bought a iron rock off road track bar a couple weeks ago. I'm positive the popping noises are coming from the old steering box. It used to do it when I was not moving and turning the wheel the slightest bit to the right or left, not hard turns. Now it'll do it on the road with the same noises.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM

I got the old stock box out. I've decided to just buy a new Durango box from auto zone and be done with it. I won't have to worry about a junkyard box breaking on me.
Attached Thumbnails New Steering Box-image-729531268.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM

I got the new Durango box, But the high pressure lines do not match up.. the box bolted right up the the frame rail just fine. I need to know if I need to get new lines with different size threads..