Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Modification hurting MPG! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default New Modification hurting MPG! Need help!

Hey guys, so I recently made myself a custom air intake using a Spectre Cone filter and some of their tubing. I connected the vacuum hose using 7/16 rubber hose from autozone and connected it to the plastic nub on the pipe that is made for the vacuum hose. I don't have a heat shield and I need to go get a metal bar piece to bolt the intake in place. (right now it's just hanging there) I know not smart...

Right off the back I noticed much better acceleration and throttle response.

Later I decided to reset the ecu so that it could read the new mod even better.
Well I think something messed up because my mpg has gone way down.
The air intake is the only mod on the jeep and everything else is stock.
Now it is killing my mpg. Did I do something wrong? Or is it because of the intake that my mpg is going down?

Here is how the air intake is now. Thank you for your help it's really needed.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

I also recently got myself the Magnaflow exhaust and pipe from mudfrog, and new 784 injectors...haven't gotten around to putting them in. But will those help as well?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Your sucking in hot air with your filter sitting that close to the exhaust manifold
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM

i agree with the hot air getting pulled into the intake. the exhaust and injectors should help a little. i only gained maybe .5 mpg with the injector upgrade. it mostly has to do with how clean your fuel system is not that it has a better spray pattern.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Sucking hot air shouldnt hurt your gas mileage. You reset your ecu. It went back to factory specs. So your going to get bad gas mileage untill your ecu relearns how you drive and all. Same thing happened to me. Now the more air that filter is letting in will make your motor use more gas. But I would move the filter to the other side at least. There would be less super hot air.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DirtyKK
i agree with the hot air getting pulled into the intake. the exhaust and injectors should help a little. i only gained maybe .5 mpg with the injector upgrade. it mostly has to do with how clean your fuel system is not that it has a better spray pattern.
Didn't know hot air would have that much effect. Guess a heat shield will be a must within the next few days.
And yeah I bought the injectors seeing that it had a better spray pattern and better idle, not so much for any improvement in mpg. I just can't find anyone to weld the exhaust yet, thanks for the help though!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kyledye25
Sucking hot air shouldnt hurt your gas mileage. You reset your ecu. It went back to factory specs. So your going to get bad gas mileage untill your ecu relearns how you drive and all. Same thing happened to me. Now the more air that filter is letting in will make your motor use more gas. But I would move the filter to the other side at least. There would be less super hot air.
Does sucking in hot air do any damage to the engine??
And yeah I reset it about 5 days ago
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by wifin

Does sucking in hot air do any damage to the engine??
And yeah I reset it about 5 days ago
No its just less dense. Meaning less power.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have a couple theories on your situation. If the cone filter has increased air flow enough, the O2 sensors may read a lean condition and increase fuel in order to correct for proper fuel trim. I've never heard of a cone style intake setup causing this before but I suppose it could be a possibility.
Second theory. Could it be that the new found get up and go response from the increased airflow might be making your right foot a little heavier? Experience has taught me that if the rigs more responsive, I'm gonna tend to drive it like a sports car.
Just food for thought.
I also agree that resetting the control module may also come into play here.

Last edited by Desert Rat; 05-07-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM

The hot air intake you made is a piece of **** im not going to sugar coat it. Your more likely to suck up water/mud/trash then with a stock intake. Anyways to the point yeah the hot air will hurt your performance, The sky high Intake air temps(IAT's) will make the computer pull timing making your jeep a turd. take it off and sell it to some dumb kid.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cherokee90
The hot air intake you made is a piece of **** im not going to sugar coat it. Your more likely to suck up water/mud/trash then with a stock intake. Anyways to the point yeah the hot air will hurt your performance, The sky high Intake air temps(IAT's) will make the computer pull timing making your jeep a turd. take it off and sell it to some dumb kid.
Well I don't go wheeling so the mud and stuff isn't a problem to me. And yeah I will make the heat shield to help. But it was my first real mod that I made myself, and I'll try to make it work.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 PM

If you shield it, it should help. make sure to report back
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
I have a couple theories on your situation. If the cone filter has increased air flow enough, the O2 sensors may read a lean condition and increase fuel in order to correct for proper fuel trim. I've never heard of a cone style intake setup causing this before but I suppose it could be a possibility.
Second theory. Could it be that the new found get up and go response from the increased airflow might be making your right foot a little heavier? Experience has taught me that if the rigs more responsive, I'm gonna tend to drive it like a sports car.
Just food for thought.
I also agree that resetting the control module may also come into play here.
Never heard of the o2 sensor theory, but it sounds like something to possibly look into. I bought this XJ used about 5months ago and haven't checked out the sensors yet. If they are bad could that have an effect as well? And how would I fix the possible leaness
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

FWIW, ecu would take 50 starts to complete the learning process.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Well as of right now...I have turned the intake around and have it hanging on the other side of the engine bay and it fits. I haven't had time to go to home depot and get supplies. Gonna have to do a cut out with cardboard then use corrugated plastic for final shield.

Quick Reply: New Modification hurting MPG! Need help!