Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jeep owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jeep owner

Hi guys, I’m new to the the jeep scene and just purchased my first XJ as a daily and I had some questions,

first of all I’m looking at purchasing a bds 3” lift kit
and some 31” tires I cannot go any larger in tire size as I cannot cut or trim anything it’s too clean of an xj (64k miles not a scratch/dent/scuff or rust on it anywhere) and I was wondering if anyone else on here has ran a bds kit I mostly see rough country lifts on here and I’d rather have something of more quality (I do not want to “budget build” this Jeep)

pictures of your lifted xj on 3” 31s would be appreciated as well
Old 03-10-2024, 09:57 AM

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

31s and 3" lift will definitely fit without any trimming. One recommendation I would have is go full leaf pack, never been a fan of add-a-leafs.

3-3.5" is also the territory where you start to run into issues with the stock track bar and steering.

New control arms should also be considered if you're going to be doing any wheeling.

I lied I did do some trimming on ot bottom front flairs.

Last edited by Kuro89; 03-10-2024 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dovergreyxj (03-12-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 291 Likes on 240 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

As stated above. A full lift kit would be best, at 3" of lift you should easily be able to find a kit with new coils and new leafs. Replacement lower control arms shouldn't be overlooked at a minimum. Adjustable lowers with a flex joint would be a nice upgrade but as just a dd the fixed lowers will do just fine.

Definitely consider an aftermarket track bar as well like stated above. If it comes with a new frame side mount and is setup in double shear you're definitely on the right track. Avoiding the drill new hole or adapting bracket at the axle would be preferred as those are the budget routes.

Rough country is one of the cheaper options typically, not my preffered outlet. However their track bar for the 3" lift range has performed well enough for my approval. I haven't ran a BDS kit so I have no experience to share there but I can attest to the Rubicon Express full leaf and coil kit satisfied my needs.

rather old photo but rubicon express on 33" and trimmed

The following 2 users liked this post by That Jeep Guy XJMJ:
Dovergreyxj (03-12-2024), Kuro89 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
As stated above. A full lift kit would be best, at 3" of lift you should easily be able to find a kit with new coils and new leafs. Replacement lower control arms shouldn't be overlooked at a minimum. Adjustable lowers with a flex joint would be a nice upgrade but as just a dd the fixed lowers will do just fine.

Definitely consider an aftermarket track bar as well like stated above. If it comes with a new frame side mount and is setup in double shear you're definitely on the right track. Avoiding the drill new hole or adapting bracket at the axle would be preferred as those are the budget routes.

Rough country is one of the cheaper options typically, not my preffered outlet. However their track bar for the 3" lift range has performed well enough for my approval. I haven't ran a BDS kit so I have no experience to share there but I can attest to the Rubicon Express full leaf and coil kit satisfied my needs.

rather old photo but rubicon express on 33" and trimmed
Do you have any good recommendations for quality control arms and could you explain the difference between running a fixed vs a adjustable, I’m trying to build a dd/show xj and I’m curious as to how the fixed vs adjustable differ in on road drivability I won’t be doing too much wheeling for now possibly light trails but mostly road use
Old 03-13-2024, 04:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 291 Likes on 240 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

Originally Posted by Dovergreyxj
Do you have any good recommendations for quality control arms and could you explain the difference between running a fixed vs a adjustable, I’m trying to build a dd/show xj and I’m curious as to how the fixed vs adjustable differ in on road drivability I won’t be doing too much wheeling for now possibly light trails but mostly road use
personally i dont, i ran the rubicon express fixed lowers that came with the kit i bought at the time out of convenience because they were new and included. I had other control arms I had planned to run later so did what I needed for the time being. I've had others over the years but can't speak to the current longevity of products out now.

Fixed lowers as they tend to be referred to are aftermarket arms that serve to keep the axle in the correct location for a specific lift range. Typically used around the 2-4" lift for entry level folks.

Adjustable lowers refer to arms that have a threaded joint on one end so you can change the length of the control to work more in your favor on propper axle castor angle/pinion angle for your lift setup.

"Flex arms" as they are typically referred to are control arms that have a flexible joint like a heim joint or johny joint on one or both ends and these handle the offroad flexy stuff much better than a non flex arm setup.

To simplify this - 3" lift you say and no offroad? Get a kit With fixed lowers included. If you stick to that kits components like coils and leafs and it's lift height then it should be alright.

If you may plan to put a little more lift in later, get adjustable arms so if things needs a little change, you can do that.

Really if you find a kit you like, call the company directly and talk with one of their tech folks about what your intentions are. Simple lifted DD* They can/will usually modify a kit to your liking and adjust the price accordingly as well.

Plus it would give you the benefit of getting any discounts/sale offers they have at the time if applicable - just ask
Old 03-14-2024, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 289 Likes on 245 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Peddles

Great explanation above.

Id add that a well set up and tuned xj steering/suspension will have no compromise while daily driving. It will do every well.

A poorly set up one will be scarey as **** to drive in many offroad and daily driving situations.

if you make compromise it will show up everywhere
The following users liked this post:
That Jeep Guy XJMJ (03-14-2024)