Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New XJ owner....stupid tire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New XJ owner....stupid tire question

Hi, im a brand new owner of a 1998 xj country edition.
i have just received my 3" rough country lift kit and am installing it this weekend
i am having trouble picking out tires and would like some help

what is the max size that can fit on the stock wheels, i dont plan on upgrading to a new wheel set at this point because money is a little tighter than usual.

i have rad on here that 31" are the tallest an xj can handle with the 3" lift and possibly 32s if then fenders are cut substantially

can anyone help me with what dimensions i should be looking

also, has anyone ordered tires online and had a good experience?

thanks,
Zach
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

get some 31x10.50R15's....im getting the Good Year MT/R Kevlars....
Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

you could also fit a 32x10.5r15 if you cut, you do not have to cut a whole lot, BUT another thing to look into bump stops no matter whatsize lift you get. If you do not bump stop you will rub no matter what sized tire. Also on the stock rims, you can get whatever tire size you want, just make sure not to go above 10.5" even that will cause a little bit or some rubbing issues. but nothing bad, only at full lock.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:33 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

31's look best with a 3 inch lift...checkout the goodyear wrangler MT
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
you could also fit a 32x10.5r15 if you cut, you do not have to cut a whole lot, BUT another thing to look into bump stops no matter whatsize lift you get. If you do not bump stop you will rub no matter what sized tire. Also on the stock rims, you can get whatever tire size you want, just make sure not to go above 10.5" even that will cause a little bit or some rubbing issues. but nothing bad, only at full lock.
please enlighten this n00b on bump stops............
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

30 seconds after a google search got me this info:

Adjusting Axle Bump Stops

Bump stops limit upwards axle movement, serving two important purposes: first, they keep the tires from rubbing the fender and/or fender flares, preventing damage to tires and vehicle body; second, they protect your vehicle’s shocks: without the bump stops, the shocks would limit upwards axle travel and, when hitting obstacles at speed, would have to take extreme forces — something they are not designed for. Therefore, when lifting a vehicle, make sure that the bump stops are extended as needed.

The following method of determining the required extension dimensions is based on information provided by Colin “DippStick” Johnson (Thanks!). The procedure can be used for the front and the rear axle, checking one axle at a time.
  1. Disconnect the sway bar.
  2. Loosen the wheel lug nuts.
  3. Jack the vehicle up as high as you can and place two jack stands under the frame rails just behind the wheels (front axle) or just in front of the wheels (rear axle).
  4. Remove the wheels.
  5. Lower the jack and wriggle the axle to reach maximum droop.
  6. Place the jack under the the lowest point of the axle (lower ball joint nut on the knuckle in front, shock mounts in rear) and jack up one side at a time.
  7. If your shock gets to within one inch of bottoming out before the bump stop makes contact with the spring perch (in front) or the axle tube (in rear) you must extend the bump stop.
Bump stop extensions are available from Tomken Machine, Rubicon Express, and others, but you can also fabricate your own: for the rear axle, mount a machined block of aluminum with the required height between the frame and the stock bump stop, using longer bolts. In front, use a machined aluminum disk (or one or more hockey pucks!) and bolt or hot-glue it to the lower spring perch.

Mostly, I just see people jacing up their axle to see when they're going to start damaging body panels and bump stopping to stop axle travel just before that.

Others will give you more/better info I'm sure.

s

Last edited by smtippin; 05-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 96_xj
this is great advice ^. if you are cheap google hockey puck bump stops or search here. cheap and easy bump stops!

Originally Posted by 88MJ.uggernaut
31's look best with a 3 inch lift...checkout the goodyear wrangler MT
32's will look better. what is a goodyear wrangler mt? is that the hummer tire? are you talking about the new MTR kevlar tire?