Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget build, new jeep owner, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Budget build, new jeep owner, need help!

I suddenly got a wild hair to buy a Jeep Cherokee and build it up. I am not looking to spend that much money, maybe 2 to 3500 grand for a decent shape Cherokee. I am looking at a couple this weekend. (1) has 134k miles in pretty decent shape, no issues; (2) the other has 176k miles, salvage title (due to engine issues on old motor [current engine was rebuilt]), already has lift on it, it looks like, and some bigger tires.

Are there anythings I should look for and be aware of when looking for a used Jeep. What are acceptable miles on a used Jeep, in other words on a used Jeep is 130 something thousand acceptable? Is there mileage I shouldn't go over when buying a used Jeep? In other words, something like 176k miles would be too high? How can I tell if that tranny is still good? When do trannys typically go bad on the Cherokees? Anything I should look for when inspecting?

Now on to the fun part, lets say I get a used Jeep, what is an affordable lift kit and inch size that you would recommend for someone starting out like me? I heard Rough Country 4.5 inch is a great lift for the price and quality. I was considering this one. Also, what tires would you recommend for a new wheeler? I've always loved BFG AT's for the price. Also, I like the new Cooper Destination STT's. Anything else I should consider adding to the new Jeep, please do share! Above all, I want this Jeep to last and not fall apart on me (mechanically), and I want to make sure I'm starting out with a solid vehicle that will last and endure to enjoy the wheeling experience.

Thanks!

YATYAS