Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Jeep Builds
Budget build, new jeep owner, need help! >

Budget build, new jeep owner, need help!

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Budget build, new jeep owner, need help!

Old 11-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Budget build, new jeep owner, need help!

I suddenly got a wild hair to buy a Jeep Cherokee and build it up. I am not looking to spend that much money, maybe 2 to 3500 grand for a decent shape Cherokee. I am looking at a couple this weekend. (1) has 134k miles in pretty decent shape, no issues; (2) the other has 176k miles, salvage title (due to engine issues on old motor [current engine was rebuilt]), already has lift on it, it looks like, and some bigger tires.

Are there anythings I should look for and be aware of when looking for a used Jeep. What are acceptable miles on a used Jeep, in other words on a used Jeep is 130 something thousand acceptable? Is there mileage I shouldn't go over when buying a used Jeep? In other words, something like 176k miles would be too high? How can I tell if that tranny is still good? When do trannys typically go bad on the Cherokees? Anything I should look for when inspecting?

Now on to the fun part, lets say I get a used Jeep, what is an affordable lift kit and inch size that you would recommend for someone starting out like me? I heard Rough Country 4.5 inch is a great lift for the price and quality. I was considering this one. Also, what tires would you recommend for a new wheeler? I've always loved BFG AT's for the price. Also, I like the new Cooper Destination STT's. Anything else I should consider adding to the new Jeep, please do share! Above all, I want this Jeep to last and not fall apart on me (mechanically), and I want to make sure I'm starting out with a solid vehicle that will last and endure to enjoy the wheeling experience.

Thanks!

YATYAS