Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New fan setup help..

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6

So I got my inline radiator tee and cap in the mail today, so I went out to buy all the hoses I needed to convert my 90 to an open cooling system. While on the way to the parts store I hit traffic like usual and I soon figured out my jeep hates sitting.. The temps slowly rose to past 210 and the efan kicked in.. I believe my efan is old and junked because it doesn't do anything to help with cooling so that is why I'm here now.
Here's a little background.. I had my original radiator boiled out at the beginning of last summer so I do not need a new one, had all new hoses installed, and a new 180 tstat. This seemed to help for the time being... And now i'm looking to further it's cooling abilities so I can be confident that it won't overheat on me while i'm sitting in traffic..
I'm thinking about doing the zj fan clutch upgrade http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1587
As well as a new efan either this one that I just found http://www.votionspeed.com/servlet/t...fans%2C/Detail
Or
http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/67...ductId=1782912
As well as a new 195 tstat so I can have heat again in the winter and colder months.
So my question is are these "upgrades" worth it? I'm leaning more towarss getting the first efan since it pulls a lot more air than the jegs one as well as being cheaper, but would either of these fit? I measured the area the stock efan sits and it's over 12" so I beleve it'd fit but I'm not positive.. Any help or links to better fans would help.
And sorry for the long post or if it may be a repost of sorts...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 341 Likes on 231 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I would grab the efan out of a 97 or later jeep, its a good quiet fan that will slip right in after a power connector change.

While your in there check that your fan shrouds aren't busted up.

Personally the zj clutch is too hardcorefor me it really makes a ton of fan noise. A new stock clutch and efan you should be good to go.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

also replace fan clutch witn non heavy duty grand fan clutch moves much more air in slow traffic conditions...google it...

Last edited by freegdr; 04-17-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

I have a 99 and I grabbed a fan out of a 94 or something I think.. It isn't any louder then the original, you just have to remember to grab both ends of the clip and wire it in. Any fan will work if it fits in and you have the right clip.. Maybe something to think about?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

all the stock stuff will keep a XJ plenty cool, provided its in good condition. swap out for a newer efan (theyre a lot better) and get a new fan clutch and with eveything else you're replacing you'll be set. i dont see a reason to get the HD clutch, it'll probably cool better but will rob power.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Veeb0rg
While your in there check that your fan shrouds aren't busted up.

Personally the zj clutch is too hardcorefor me it really makes a ton of fan noise. A new stock clutch and efan you should be good to go.
No my shrouds aren't broken and I don't really care about being too noisy since my new motor mounts make my engine very noticeable when idling. and if the zj clutch cools a lot better, I'd rather have that.

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
all the stock stuff will keep a XJ plenty cool, provided its in good condition. swap out for a newer efan (theyre a lot better) and get a new fan clutch and with eveything else you're replacing you'll be set. i dont see a reason to get the HD clutch, it'll probably cool better but will rob power.
Do you know where I could get a new efan? or should I just grab one from the op? Also do you know what size the fan is? Is it a 10"?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Check the scrap yard they're cheap and to be honest I haven't noticed a difference with the quality of the newer ones and the early 90's. But I also live in Canada so it doesn't get hot like in the south, is that your issue? And grab a tape measure you lazy bum!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by CherokeeChick
Check the scrap yard they're cheap and to be honest I haven't noticed a difference with the quality of the newer ones and the early 90's. But I also live in Canada so it doesn't get hot like in the south, is that your issue? And grab a tape measure you lazy bum!
Hahahahahah yeah I measured it out and it's a 10" fan. I have all the cooling parts sorted out now so thanks for the help!

But now a different question... So theoretically when you turn your AC on the aux fan whould come on.. This being since I have a '90 I slide the HVAC control over to the "Air Conditioning" section.. When I do this the fan does not turn on.. I have a guess as to why, because my AC needs to be recharged and the AC pump doesn't even engage since it's so low.. There is a wire off the pump and I believe when the pump engages it sends a signal that tells the fan to turn on.. Am I right?
And yes the aux fan DOES turn on when the coolant reaches the 220* mark like it should.