Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A New Exhaust For The Old XJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A New Exhaust For The Old XJ

While attempting to remove the exhaust to get at some floorboard rust on my new to me XJ (bought in July), it became apparent that the old (maybe original?) exhaust would not be getting reinstalled.

I originally ordered a Dynomax catback system but it ended up being on indefinite backorder. So... I rolled the dice and ended up buying a Jegs brand system. It was ~$150 delivered and featured 2.5 pipes and a "turbo-style" (whatever that means) muffler.

I also bought a Flowmaster replacement catalytic converter for ~$70 delivered.

Here is the old rusty stock system next to the new Jegs exhaust
Name:  IMG_20160816_171525422_zpsulglssyp.jpg
Views: 4048
Size:  3.51 MB

Packaging on the Jegs system was good except for this. The ends of the pipes were not well protected. This was not a huge deal and was easily fixed but IMO Jegs should have done a better job packaging the system.
Name:  IMG_20160816_171558126_zpssacauxpy.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  2.56 MB

Also, if you plan to re-use your stock cat, the extension pipe provided with the kit will not work without an adaptor. Again, not a huge deal but IMO a "catback exhaust" should be plug and play.
Name:  IMG_20160816_171627032_zpsjphrkjkv.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  3.12 MB

Installation was not too bad. I used a 2.5" ID to 2.25" ID reducer at the cat and a couple sections of 2.5" OD extension pipe between muffler/cat and cat/downpipe. I also needed two additional 2.5" clamps and a new hanger (similar to this one) near the exhaust tip.

I realize the installation is not very elegant with all those clamps, but it is very secure and required no welding...
Name:  f39cbd52-f7d7-49aa-a414-9b5ec804286c_zpslgujuk2v.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  5.04 MB

Name:  07c2a4b2-408e-427f-99e1-e7fa19cc2c74_zpsycuxhjvw.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  4.80 MB

Name:  8bf532d2-97ff-4107-a3e3-75655461af82_zps1cybykf3.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  4.91 MB

Name:  592bd183-58e1-4e86-a6a9-b78919d01e89_zpsjiacbs0u.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  4.64 MB

Name:  fec2b5da-44a8-4bef-ae29-d4562f731c38_zpsisz028cs.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  5.91 MB

The exhaust fit perfectly after some tweaking; the 2.5 inch tubing is significantly bigger than stock (never measured but I believe it is 2.0 inch?). Also IMO it sounds fantastic. It is not overly loud but has a nice throaty performance sound. The exhaust is not stainless (the cat is) but neither was the Dynomax nor the stock system. Overall, with the few *****es mentioned above, I am very satisfied with the system.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Nice job. Looks solid. It makes you not want to take it outside so it doesn't begin to rust like all exhaust parts eventually do.

On a side note, I notice the underside of your Jeep looks very clean, very painted, and rust free. What have you done to it? What's your secret?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

I just recently did a header-back exhaust install on my old 96 including a new cat as well. One thing that I did to make things look a bit more "elegant" is to turn the clamps upside down. I mainly did this so it would be smoother for when I come in contacts with rocks, logs etc but it also looks a bit better too.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by OldTires
Nice job. Looks solid. It makes you not want to take it outside so it doesn't begin to rust like all exhaust parts eventually do.

On a side note, I notice the underside of your Jeep looks very clean, very painted, and rust free. What have you done to it? What's your secret?
He's been working on the rusty floorboards and undercarriage. And doing a damn fine job of it, too. His original post has a link to the thread discussing it.

Here it is again: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/ru...2/#post3281220

Last edited by MWMahoneyJr; 08-26-2016 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added a spirited kudos on his work. "And doing a damn fine job of it, too."
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by MWMahoneyJr
He's been working on the rusty floorboards and undercarriage. And doing a damn fine job of it, too. His original post has a link to the thread discussing it.

Here it is again: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/ru...2/#post3281220
I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just FYI I had a new cat back system installed with a performance muffler all tailpipes bent to fit high and tight at local muffler shop for $94 out the door. All done in less than a hr. and I watched NHRA Drag Racing on his TV in waiting room.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I've had the JEGS cat back(http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...96/10002/-1)on my '96 for a couple yrs now. No installation problems when I used the OEM converter. I did opt for SS lap joint band clamps. I also modified my tailpipe hanger to raise the tailpipe up and cut a bit off the end. The muffler on mine is a #911 IMCO Turbo. System is holding up just fine.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:20 AM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by OldTires
...I notice the underside of your Jeep looks very clean, very painted, and rust free. What have you done to it? What's your secret?
Right. As mentioned after buying the Cherokee I discovered a bunch of floorboard rust and have been working it. In terms of the undercarriage, assuming actual rust holes have been dealt with, the process I used:
1) Pressure washed undercarriage (a couple of times)
2) Sanded/ground the rust off the nasty spots
3)"Sanded" the rest of the undercarriage with a rough scrub pad
4) Painted the cleaned up rust spots/bare metal with POR-15
5) "Can-bombed" everything with satin-black rust inhibiting paint (it was on sale at Ace 2 for $6, practically free...)
6) Don't drive it... ever.

If nothing else, I would say that once or twice a year, taking the car to a self-serve high pressure wash (or using a pressure washer) and going crazy on the undercarriage, and then just spray painting after the car dries out could go a long way.

Beware: pressure washing was how I discovered just how bad my floorboards were. After pressure washing the undercarriage I went to clean the interior and the carpets were soaked.

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
...one thing that I did to make things look a bit more "elegant" is to turn the clamps upside down.
I was thinking that same thing; I wish I had done it that way from the start...

Originally Posted by MWMahoneyJr
He's been working on the rusty floorboards and undercarriage. And doing a damn fine job of it, too.
Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Just FYI I had a new cat back system installed with a performance muffler all tailpipes bent to fit high and tight at local muffler shop for $94 out the door...
What are home prices like in Monett, MO? Sounds like an affordable place to live. I see it has a Super Walmart? And less than an hour from Joplin?

Originally Posted by EZEARL
I've had the JEGS cat back(http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...96/10002/-1)on my '96 for a couple yrs now. No installation problems when I used the OEM converter. I did opt for SS lap joint band clamps. I also modified my tailpipe hanger to raise the tailpipe up and cut a bit off the end. The muffler on mine is a #911 IMCO Turbo. System is holding up just fine.
Your link is to the same system I bought. I like your idea of using band clamps and trimming the tip. It's nice to hear a longer term review.

Last edited by RickBois; 08-27-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBois
Right. As mentioned after buying the Cherokee I discovered a bunch of floorboard rust and have been working it. In terms of the undercarriage, assuming actual rust holes have been dealt with, the process I used:
1) Pressure washed undercarriage (a couple of times)
2) Sanded/ground the rust off the nasty spots
3)"Sanded" the rest of the undercarriage with a rough scrub pad
4) Painted the cleaned up rust spots/bare metal with POR-15
5) "Can-bombed" everything with satin-black rust inhibiting paint (it was on sale at Ace 2 for $6, practically free...)
6) Don't drive it... ever.

If nothing else, I would say that once or twice a year, taking the car to a self-serve high pressure wash (or using a pressure washer) and going crazy on the undercarriage, and then just spray painting after the car dries out could go a long way.

Beware: pressure washing was how I discovered just how bad my floorboards were. After pressure washing the undercarriage I went to clean the interior and the carpets were soaked.

I was thinking that same thing; I wish I had done it that way from the start...

Thank you for the kind words.

What are home prices like in Monett, MO? Sounds like an affordable place to live. I see it has a Super Walmart? And less than an hour from Joplin?

Your link is to the same system I bought. I like your idea of using band clamps and trimming the tip. It's nice to hear a longer term review.

Home prices are very reasonable here and country properties are affordable also. The cost of living is lower than most areas and its the same distance to Joplin as it to Springfield (40 min.) and NW, AR. with one of the most growing areas in the country lots of trucking company's and Wal-Mart World Headquarters there.

Our energy costs are starting to rise as the current powers that be is closing the coal fired generating power plants the same ones he forced several yrs. back to make them pay millions to meet a clean air std.