Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Flooring question

I have no carpeting in my Cherokee currently. It's going to be used for hunting/fishing/exploring. Is there a good, DROP IN nom carpeted floor available new?
Thank you!!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

There is a company that sells rubber flooring that is supposed to be molded to the floor pan, similar to a carpet kit. I bought it a few years ago and it didn't fit well at all. I currently have Husky floor liners over metal floors, covered in Herculiner.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyXJ
There is a company that sells rubber flooring that is supposed to be molded to the floor pan, similar to a carpet kit. I bought it a few years ago and it didn't fit well at all. I currently have Husky floor liners over metal floors, covered in Herculiner.
I read about your debacle with it, and didn't want a repeat
Old 08-27-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Rockauto.com has an entire new interior carpet for like $125 I believe. Amazon has a couple different options in that price range too.

Last edited by cbs_24; 08-28-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shawnboy,

If you want to maintain the insulating properties of carpet, I'd recommend you consider applying a spray-on ceramic heat-insulating paint. It's about the same cost as buying new carpet (which you don't want), and is very durable and cleanable, like bedliner. One product that comes to mind is "lizardskin" - http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html

If the heat issue isn't a big deal, perhaps just use a roll-on bed liner. Even at that, once you put floor mats/liners down, you'll have some good insulating properties for where your feet sit.

Something else that just came to mind is the possibility of getting rolled vinyl/rubber and creating your own molded liner. Using a head gun, you can get many vinyls to conform to shapes.

FWIW, we still have carpet and I want to keep it that way. We bought Rugged Ridge floor liners, which are a thick vinyl or PVC. To cover the exposed carpet the RR liners don't cover, I got some grey PVC shower pan liner and cut it to fit the areas around the console. When I want it, I can just tuck it up under the center console's lip and then it drops down in to the floor liner. This way there is no immediately exposed carpet for when we're out felling trees or whatever. But then when we come back to city life, I can take the liners out and clean up the interior to be pretty presentable again. This is the stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-5-f...1597/100343454

Best,
Aaron

Last edited by Trombahonker; 08-27-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 08-27-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trombahonker
Shawnboy,

If you want to maintain the insulating properties of carpet, I'd recommend you consider applying a spray-on ceramic heat-insulating paint. It's about the same cost as buying new carpet (which you don't want), and is very durable and cleanable, like bedliner. One product that comes to mind is "lizardskin" - http://www.lizardskin.com/car-ceramic-insulation.html

If the heat issue isn't a big deal, perhaps just use a roll-on bed liner. Even at that, once you put floor mats/liners down, you'll have some good insulating properties for where your feet sit.

Something else that just came to mind is the possibility of getting rolled vinyl/rubber and creating your own molded liner. Using a head gun, you can get many vinyls to conform to shapes.

FWIW, we still have carpet and I want to keep it that way. We bought Rugged Ridge floor liners, which are a thick vinyl or PVC. To cover the exposed carpet the RR liners don't cover, I got some grey PVC shower pan liner and cut it to fit the areas around the console. When I want it, I can just tuck it up under the center console's lip and then it drops down in to the floor liner. This way there is no immediately exposed carpet for when we're out felling trees or whatever. But then when we come back to city life, I can take the liners out and clean up the interior to be pretty presentable again. This is the stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-5-f...1597/100343454

Best,
Aaron
Thank you both!!
I think I'll do the rock auto carpeting and do a roll in under it. And get murthering huge floor mats to catch the mess.....
Old 08-28-2016, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Haha yea I regret ripping mine out and bed lining it. The heat through the floor is bad in the summer and you can hear every single noise (Good and bad). I didnt know Rock AUTO sold it all at that price. Good info!