Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Floor pan nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline6 4.0
Default Floor pan nightmare

My floor pans get worse every time I look at them. I'm afraid if I look at them wrong I'll fall through to the ground lol. I would have fixed them a while ago but I have no access to a welder or sheet metal. I can obviously buy sheet metal cheap but I don't have the money for a welder. Any advice on at least neutralizing the rust so I don't fall through the carpet one day? Lol any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

A stop sign and sheet metal screws fill the bill. We've all done it.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:20 AM

Hahah I actually have a stop sign so I'm gonna do this lmao. Whatever works I guess
Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Rust never sleeps. The only way to "neutralize" it is to cut out the affected metal and replace it.

Since the XJ is a unibody vehicle, those floorpans are an integral part of the body shell. When they rust away, your body integrity is compromised. In essence, the floorpans are a critical part of the "frame".

Last edited by Firestorm500; 03-19-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Rock Auto sells those floor pans for around $50 so might be worth looking at. I had '87 redone by a local guy. Both sides front, rear and cargo cost me $500 but he said the same thing as Firestorm that it's important as with unibody, this is integral to the structure.

If you're scared to look at the floor pans, don't look under the back seat either. I thought it was only the front pans when I bought the Jeep until my body guy showed me the holes under the rear seat carpet that you could put your hand through. My '88 parts Jeep has the same issue. If you're in a high salt area, you have to look where all that salt spray can get to. That's why we see a lot of "parts" Jeeps up here that run fine but are just too much to fix to pass a safety inspection.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Not to directly copy myself but when I was in a similar situation I used a couple old hoods from the junk yard. Both hoods had collision damage so I got them for 5 bucks each. Cut them to size and used caulk and self tapping sheet metal screws. Then undercoated with rubberizer spray. 2 years later they are still in place and rigid. From underneath it's noticeable what was done, this jeep will never be sold again tho.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

That's good for covering the holes, but screws don't really add to the strength like welds do.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Too many near rust free xj's out there still to be messing with a rusty one. In the end you'll have more time and money into fixing rust then it would be to buy another one.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Get caught stealing a Stop sign and the cost of having the job done may be very cheap, if caught stealing the sign and someone were killed running it.

I have arrested people in the past while a LEO for this and back then the fine was $1500 and the weekend in jail waiting for bond to be set.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Get caught stealing a Stop sign and the cost of having the job done may be very cheap, if caught stealing the sign and someone were killed running it.

I have arrested people in the past while a LEO for this and back then the fine was $1500 and the weekend in jail waiting for bond to be set.

Thank you for doing that, and I hope you let them know of your utter contempt for a person who would put others at risk just for a cheap thrill.

I think the fine is too low, and the sentence should include about 6 months of community service each weekend. Picking up garbage, preferably; something stinky and disgusting.

Just like a person who would steal a stop sign.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ

I've had this stop sign for years. My neighbor was gonna throw it away but I took it and hung it on my wall lol no worries. Not an active duty sign.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
Not to directly copy myself but when I was in a similar situation I used a couple old hoods from the junk yard. Both hoods had collision damage so I got them for 5 bucks each. Cut them to size and used caulk and self tapping sheet metal screws. Then undercoated with rubberizer spray. 2 years later they are still in place and rigid. From underneath it's noticeable what was done, this jeep will never be sold again tho.
Great idea. Might have to use that as well as the stop sign hahaha thanks dude
Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I would just get a new one if I could. She's just too sedimental to let go. Not to mention all the money I've got in her. I always forget about the unibody structure. I'll have to find a weekend to pull all the carpet and start cutting the rust out. I was thinking I could rent a welder from somewhere but idk. Never done it before lol.
That stop sign and some old hoods will do for now lololol.
Peace
Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by bigredjeepbeautiful
I was thinking I could rent a welder from somewhere but idk. Never done it before lol.

That's not something you just pick up and do on a weekend. You need time burning metal to get to be any good at it, and you can't rent a machine for long enough to practice enough without spending more than the welder would cost. Sheet metal welding is more difficult than welding heavy stock, too.

Really, you should just hire someone to do it. Do all the prep work and pay someone to do it right.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
That's not something you just pick up and do on a weekend. You need time burning metal to get to be any good at it, and you can't rent a machine for long enough to practice enough without spending more than the welder would cost. Sheet metal welding is more difficult than welding heavy stock, too.

Really, you should just hire someone to do it. Do all the prep work and pay someone to do it right.
Yeah but someone said they spent $500 on that and I'm on a college budget right now so that'll take a while to save for… I also wouldn't even know where to take it. Any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Floor pan nightmare