Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bushings or full leaf packs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New bushings or full leaf packs

I have been running Rustys 4.5" full spring packs in the rear for over three years now, they still work as advertised but the bushings are shot. Question is would you just replace the bushings? If so does anyone know a suitable substitute bushing to replace the Rustys bushing. Or would you just replace the full spring pack?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by warthog
I have been running Rustys 4.5" full spring packs in the rear for over three years now, they still work as advertised but the bushings are shot. Question is would you just replace the bushings? If so does anyone know a suitable substitute bushing to replace the Rustys bushing. Or would you just replace the full spring pack?
Thanks
just replace the bushing. No sense in getting rid of the whole spring. I believe that Rustys uses OEM size bushings so you can just replace them with some from your preferred auto parts dealer. Its weird since I had rustys springs that were about 5 yrs old and the bushings were still good. I donlt know how yours went so quickly.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

All the research I have done says Rustys went from using OEM bushing to a different size around 4-5 years ago. If you look up Rustys bushings. They say OEM will not fit on there spring packs. Do you know the OEM bushing width off the top of your head for front and back?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Member

All the research I have done says Rustys went from using OEM bushing to a different size around 4-5 years ago. If you look up Rustys bushings. They say OEM will not fit on there spring packs. Do you know the OEM bushing width off the top of your head for front and back?
I don't know off the top of my head. What is it that is making you think the bushings are bad? are they just all chewed up? I got my rustys springs used so maybe they were older and they still used the OE bushings.

One thing I'll say about rustys 4.5" springs is that they didn't ride very well. I never noticed until I switched to Rubicon Express springs, but the ride was always kinda harsh in the back end. Do you see the same thing with yours?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

I have a horrible metal on metal noise when it's starts to flex the least bit. I will go out and measure to see what length bushings I have
Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Sounds like the leafs/leaves are just rubbing together. Lube em up
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I had the same squeak with my rustys springs. I replaces the little plastic washers and repainted them and lubed em up and then I was good after that.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah I lubed them down from front to back with marine grease. Still creaking and cracking. Next time I off road I will take a video of the sound. That could be a while though because of work
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah I lubed them down from front to back with marine grease. Still creaking and cracking. Next time I off road I will take a video of the sound. That could be a while though because of work
Thats weird. When I lubed mine i just used regular auto grease. Same stuff i used on my steering and other stuff and I didn't have an issue after that. But i also sanded down each leaf and repainted them and then lubed em and put it all back together.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Ah so you took apart the whole spring pack? How long did that take you minus the painting
Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Ah so you took apart the whole spring pack? How long did that take you minus the painting
taking out one leaf pack at a time and doing it. The whole process with paint drying was about 8hrs. But i used a die grinder with a brillo pad on it to sand em down fast. then I used POR15 black on em. Be careful if you use POR wear gloves because if you get it on your skin get ready for a few days of it being on you.