Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input from Lunchbox Locker users that live in SNOWY areas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need input from Lunchbox Locker users that live in SNOWY areas.

So I've been chewing on this for a while now and been doing research for a coulee weeks as well. I've been wanting to put a lunchbox locker in either the front or rear of my 2000 but not both. Reason being that I have the 242 t-case, D-30 27 spline and 8.25 29 spline and would still like to use my Full-Time option. I've read where having one in the front only and driving in snow with it in 4wd makes it still want to go straight and a little harder to handle driving. Snow is my biggest IF factor right now. I live in NE Ohio and we get a decent amount here. I still go on trail on occasion and yes this is my DD as well. So for those of you who live in snowy areas and have lunchbox lockers in either the front or rear, what is it like? Handling wise, using Full-Time, and anything else I should know. Money is kinda tight so that's why a lunchbox locker is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. I know selectable would be the way to go but would be out of my budget. Most of what I am finding on this forum as well as others mostly just talks about daily driving and not much of how it handles while in snow and such.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Jooman07
So I've been chewing on this for a while now and been doing research for a coulee weeks as well. I've been wanting to put a lunchbox locker in either the front or rear of my 2000 but not both. Reason being that I have the 242 t-case, D-30 27 spline and 8.25 29 spline and would still like to use my Full-Time option. I've read where having one in the front only and driving in snow with it in 4wd makes it still want to go straight and a little harder to handle driving. Snow is my biggest IF factor right now. I live in NE Ohio and we get a decent amount here. I still go on trail on occasion and yes this is my DD as well. So for those of you who live in snowy areas and have lunchbox lockers in either the front or rear, what is it like? Handling wise, using Full-Time, and anything else I should know. Money is kinda tight so that's why a lunchbox locker is what I'm leaning towards at the moment. I know selectable would be the way to go but would be out of my budget. Most of what I am finding on this forum as well as others mostly just talks about daily driving and not much of how it handles while in snow and such.

Honestly, you're gonna get a buttload of different opinions. Some people in snowy areas will contest that its not an issue. Some will say its a death sentence. Lunchbox lockers are something you'll learn to drive with. Bur if you have a 242, your best bet is a selectable one of front and a LS in the rear. Automatic lockers upfront, iirc, negates a 242s ability. Hence getting a selctable. I live in the NE. I want a rear locker as well but I'm holding out until I can get gears and a good LS one or an Aussie. Others will chime in.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Honestly, you're gonna get a buttload of different opinions. Some people in snowy areas will contest that its not an issue. Some will say its a death sentence. Lunchbox lockers are something you'll learn to drive with. Bur if you have a 242, your best bet is a selectable one of front and a LS in the rear. Automatic lockers upfront, iirc, negates a 242s ability. Hence getting a selctable. I live in the NE. I want a rear locker as well but I'm holding out until I can get gears and a good LS one or an Aussie. Others will chime in.
Kinda what I was expecting. Another reason why I really didn't wanna put the money down for a selectable was this is primarily my DD and see the trails maybe every couple months. If I wheeled more often then yeah I could see the use for it. Just trying to sort out the pros and cons before I make my decision. The wheeling I do now I can get by without it but there are still a few areas I'd like to go but can't without it.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

I have a 242 and lunchbox in both front and rear, live in ny we get some decent snow and it isn't that bad. Like the other post you learn to drive with it. I don't really use 4x4 driving main roads and when I do I am going slow enough to where if it gets out of sorts I can correct it easily.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tonis506
I have a 242 and lunchbox in both front and rear, live in ny we get some decent snow and it isn't that bad. Like the other post you learn to drive with it. I don't really use 4x4 driving main roads and when I do I am going slow enough to where if it gets out of sorts I can correct it easily.
Have you tried to use Full-Time at all to see how it acts?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

A limited slip in the front or rear would probably be a great option for you.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

We don't recommend using the full-time option with auto lockers because the case transfers power when it feels a wheel slipping. An auto locker can make the case think a wheel is slipping, then the case will divert power front and rear unpredictably, making the vehicle almost impossible to drive.

For snowy areas I recommend a rear locker first, or a front locker if you don't use 4WD at highway speeds.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:55 PM

so running a locker in the front and drving in 2wd wont jerk my front end around in slippery conditions?
Old 12-08-2015, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by AussieLocker
We don't recommend using the full-time option with auto lockers because the case transfers power when it feels a wheel slipping. An auto locker can make the case think a wheel is slipping, then the case will divert power front and rear unpredictably, making the vehicle almost impossible to drive. For snowy areas I recommend a rear locker first, or a front locker if you don't use 4WD at highway speeds.
I'm leaning more towards one in the rear at this point. And just leave the front open.

So you're saying you don't recommend using full-time at all with one in either the rear or front? Or both?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I've got a spartan in the rear end, and I live in Montana. Plenty of icy/snowy roads. Like others have said, you get used to it. I DD my jeep and it does just fine. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Go Detroit Tru trac rear.... The locker or tru try front later

You will be glad you did....
Old 12-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Engine: 4.0 inl 6

Up here in Alberta we will have snow for 8 months in a year and the roads are literally ice roads not pavement anymore during 6 of those months, I've got a spartan in my cry. 8.25 and mud tires also my transfer case is a 231, the jeep is my daily. you have to be careful accelerating in turns as the rear will lock up and spin ya around, but in my opinion it is manageable and I really don't have any difficulties with it. For a daily driver in possible ice/snow conditions I would recommend a rear locker over a front because when you are turning and you accelerate neither front tire will be able to turn less or more distance than the other, which will cause them to break traction and render turning the wheel useless and you will propel forward. It's like locking up the front brakes and turning the wheel; you will not turn. In 2wd the front locker shouldn't give you problems, just constant popping, but if you are running a 242 and plan on using full time a rear would still be optimal as you will still have the front wheels pulling should the rears break traction and slip out on you. Remember that with a lunchbox the axle will only lock up when torque is applied to that axle.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Disregard anything I said. The binding I was feeling was a badly welded rear diff...the PO was full of shift when he said this cherokee had lockrights front and rear!

Last edited by Joshua White; 12-22-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

All it really amounts to is learning to drive with one, I have full case auto lockers front/rear in mine and have no issues.

This reminds of the recent thread of how would anyone drive without ABS brakes.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
All it really amounts to is learning to drive with one, I have full case auto lockers front/rear in mine and have no issues.

This reminds of the recent thread of how would anyone drive without ABS brakes.
This 100%

Last edited by Joshua White; 12-22-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Need input from Lunchbox Locker users that live in SNOWY areas.