Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need To Get To The Bottom Of This Death Wobble Issue Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need To Get To The Bottom Of This Death Wobble Issue Fast!

I have had death wobble in my 97 XJ for about 2 1/2 months now and i feel as though I've tried just about everything to fix it. I am running a 3.5" RE lift with a 1" shackle in the rear. It all started when I replaced my front axle shaft u-joints (spicers), ball joints, hubs, and steering. I installed Cav Fav crossover steering with ruff stuff heims. The holes on my knuckles and my new pitman arm (not a drop pitman) were reamed out properly and fit the bolt snugly. When I drove it after the install I had violent DW. At the time of installation, I had 31" KO2's that were properly balanced. I got an alignment and they set my toe to 0 degrees. jeep still wobbled and it wandered. I found a good deal on some 33's so I got them (used) and I watched the tire guy balance them. I had wobble before the 33's and wobble just as severe after the freshly balanced 33's. I set my toe in to about 1/8" and it doesn't wander but still wobble. I then installed an OTA track bar so my drag link and track bar are parallel. still wobble. I installed new adjustable upper control arms and new axle side uca bushings. Still wobble. Most recently, I found a significant crack in my frame near my steering box so I welded it closed and it doesn't allow for movement in the steering box anymore (will plate it in near future). still wobble. When I got my alignment at the shop it said my castor was 5.7 degrees which I believe is within spec correct me if I'm wrong.

I am thinking that something had to have changed when I initially installed the steering, hubs, u joints, and ball joints. Before that install I had no issues with DW. I was running a standard stock-like y setup with the adjustment collars (when I pulled the old steering off the passenger tre was shot and very loose with a lot of play, but I had no DW with that setup). Maybe the caster changed when I put in the new ball joints? maybe the lower control arm flex joint on the axle side is loose and allows for play? maybe I need to toe in more? I am very lost and I am very close to bringing it in to a shop around me (all mall crawler type places) and telling them to fix it. Any ideas would be amazing! If you need more info let me know! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Where in Socal are you? If you are close enough, I could swing by and put a second set of eyes on everything. Sounds like you have gone over pretty much everything else. I have the same lift by the way...
Old 07-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Where in Socal are you? If you are close enough, I could swing by and put a second set of eyes on everything. Sounds like you have gone over pretty much everything else. I have the same lift by the way...
I am in mission viejo, Orange County
Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Wheel bearings, wallowed out track bar hole?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Guywitha92
Wheel bearings, wallowed out track bar hole?
track bar is brand new with OTA mount and wheel bearings are brand new as well as ball joints, and u joints
Old 07-11-2017, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chrisstickle
I am in mission viejo, Orange County
Ya thats a bit far. About a hour and a half. If you can make the drive out here, I will still look it over.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Ya thats a bit far. About a hour and a half. If you can make the drive out here, I will still look it over.
Where you at?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chrisstickle
Where you at?
I take that back, google says 1 hour with no traffic. Im out in the northern part of san bernardino.