Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on my Educated Mess Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Cylinder
Default Advice on my Educated Mess Up

So a few weeks ago I replaced and refreshed most of the existing lift on my Cherokee. When working on the rear leaf springs, the add a leaf from the lift that I purchased didn't have holes that lined up. The hole in the add a leaf was centered, and the pin for the new leaf springs I purchased were not. i researched what to do about it and could not find any definitive answers. So I made a decision and just went with it. After being assembled it left with the add a leaf not sitting centered front to back in the leaf spring. Well its been about 2 weeks, and the end of the top leaf in the back is bending over the add a leaf. I know that isn't good. I have already determined I will need to fix the issue, the advice i need is on the process I have chosen. I want to remove the add a leaf and put in shackle relocation brackets. My shackle angle isn't all that great and would need to do it anyway i think. i was thinking of using these - https://hdoffroadengineering.myshopi...relocation-kit
In doing so, would I need to replace the leaf springs as well? Or would they still be usable? And what about the U-bolts? I got the beefy ones from ruffstuff, and would hate to have to replace them so soon. What do you guys think? Is there anything I am missing?

Jason
Old 07-09-2017, 05:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Long or short add a leafs ?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Didnt know there was a difference. lengthwise it fit just below the top leaf. it that means anything.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

That would be a long Add a leaf. The hole in the middle is not centered. There is a long side and a short side for the leaf springs. The add a leaf should be mounted in the corresponding manner to match the main springs. Double check your install and make sure you have them mounted right.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 AM

No, I checked that and double checked that. the hole in the add a leaf is centered. the whole for the rest of the leaf pack is not. Thus the problem.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Pelagius
No, I checked that and double checked that. the hole in the add a leaf is centered. the whole for the rest of the leaf pack is not. Thus the problem.
Some add a leaf sets are like that because they can be used for multiple vehicles. If the main leaf is bending in the wrong direction over the add a leaf. I would remove the add a leaf and add in the shackle relocation brackets that you had in mind. You can reuse the U-bolts as long as they are long enough to go through the perch and the mounting plate. post a picture of the spring bent over the add a leaf. it could still be salvaged if it is not bent too far.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Dan,
I can take a few pics this evening when I get home. Right now it isnt bad, but I want to take care of it before it really becomes a problem.