Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Steering Issues + Pic Request

Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB
Default My Steering Issues + Pic Request

My steering feels different than it should. When the mods were done last winter the guys misunderstood the features of the JKS disos & instead of extending them, they cut the arm circled in my pic, then welded in a piece of steel. That forced the discos into the coils and they rubbed badly. That was when I realized what they did, so I had the discos extended to alleviate the rubbing. Needless to say, all this mess makes the steering feel very vague & I don't like it. When the Jeep is at rest my discos are slanted backwards towards the coils and the sway bar arm tilts at an upward angle towards the top of the wheel well.

The posted pic is old, just used for reference. I'll post a current pic later. But I need guys with 5.5" up to 7" lift using JKS discos to post pics of your setup so I can clearly see the parts with the arrows in my pic. The same location please!
Please, NO flex pics. NO 3.5" lifts because the geometry might be different. I just need to see this specific area with the XJ sitting flat so I can see what the angles are supposed to look like. Doesn't have to be stripped down like mine.
Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Come on now ... surely there have to be some pics out there? Did I post this during the Zombie apocalypse?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4 ohh

Well the simple fix to me sounds like putting a new stock arm thing on and lowering your discos. Or you could just ditch the sways.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

All I can say is that you want your swap bar as parallel to the ground as possible.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as the disco's are concerned, just follow the install instructions.
http://www.jksmfg.com/support/instal...-2001-2002.pdf
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the installers put on steering as well? Was it some kind of OTK setup? If that's the case, you have to extend the axle side mounts upward, with or without discos so that your steering linkages don't hit them. It sounds like you've just got the discos extended too far.

Regarding the steering not feeling right: are you sure the swaybar is at fault?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by TheJerm
All I can say is that you want your swap bar as parallel to the ground as possible.
Not really, you want your sway bar around a 10-15* angle. And if it's a steering issue, I seriously doubt your swaybar has much to do with it. I've ran both stock lower links, no swaybar and now JKS adjustables, only time I noticed a difference was during higher speed corners, and the only difference was more body roll, no steering issues with any setup.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Maybe when I post more pics it will make more sense but right now This Is Not Going Well.

I don't want this to become a battle of who-knows-best. Is it really so hard for you guys to just humor me & post some pics? I didn't ask for advice because I doubt this is a correction I will do myself. If they messed up they will have to fix it.
I have looked at dozens of suspensions over the years, some higher than mine & I have never seen a single one where the little stock arm needed to be extended. That changes things. I'm no expert, but that can't be right. Can I please see SOME PICS so I can have several points of reference??

Pics!!! That's all I'm asking! Getting rid of the sway bar is absolutely not an option.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:31 PM

quid pro quo
Old 10-26-2011, 05:41 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well, I don't have one of the entire lower link, but I do have these. Only ones I can find at the moment. I'll take more tonight if you need them. Sorry for second guessing you, my bad bro. Kinda crappy pics, but you can see the axle mounts:
Attached Thumbnails My Steering Issues + Pic Request-driver-side.jpg   My Steering Issues + Pic Request-driver-side2.jpg   My Steering Issues + Pic Request-passanger-side.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Here you go station. This is the rig you saw over the weekend. Im 6.5 in the front with jks discos. I was having a problem with the stock y steering hitting my disco ,so last night i actually raised them a little more then an inch up. I still have 3/4 of an inch from the back of my disco to my coil.

Heres some pics i just took of my angles.
Attached Images   
Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

one more
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Yes. Thanks a bunch for the pics guys and I do apologize for my hollering yesterday. It was just really frustrating to post a thread asking for pics & returning to find a page full of text/suggestions.

Deftwill - how much lift is that? I see your disco is standing perfectly vertical like it should be. How much thread is exposed? That's a lot of extension.

mickey - thanks for the pics man. Don't mind me ... I'm a woman & I get emotional. I've put too much money into this XJ to feel like I'm riding on a boat. So ... how much lift?

Littlethunder ... I don't know how I missed it on Sunday, but it looks like your small arm where the lower joint of the disco is connected - has been cut & re-welded like mine? But the JKS disco has not been extended at all. If I'm seeing that right can you explain why this was done?

I gotta drive your XJ some time to see how it feels. Your set-up is pretty similar to mine except for stock tierods.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

So far all the sway bars seem to point upwards at a slight angle & all discos are stright up & down, so I'll take that as the norm. I think my poly bushings are due for changing. They've been on there for over 6 years and I see some gaps. Also I just had all the LCA bushings done & as soon as the money comes along the UCAs will be done as well.

Still, there's a clunk that I've been chasing for over a year (never said anything before) & the XJ feels floaty like it's on water. My discos are angled backwards & adjusting them puts them into the coils. I have no bump steer & no death wobble but it should ride better than this.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I had a bunch of pics but this is the only one the cell phone would send for some reason... really have to get a digital camera

I have a 6.5" lift... wish I could send the others...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Steering Issues + Pic Request