Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monstaliner ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Monstaliner ???'s

I'm thinking about eventually painting my jeep with it. I have a few questions about though, I'm not familiar with it. How does it hold up as far as say tree limbs dragging down the side of it ? Any loss in MPG due to wind drag and resistance? Does the texture trap or hold dirt ? How well does it clean up, car wash wand or hand washed ? Now concerning colors,,, will there be good consistency between cans ? How is coverage of a lighter color over a darker one ? I have always wanted a white XJ with all the black extras ? How would the white do over top of my forest green ? White is white, shouldn't be any variance in color ? Hope you guys have the answers I'm looking for. I'd much rather go this route !!!

Last edited by CRLAMBERTJR; 06-16-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I haven't used Monstaliner but I have used the spray on Raptor liner a few times and it works great, I have the black on the bottom half of my truck and around the wheel wells to prevent rock chips, it holds up very well and cleans up easily with a pressure washer. I plan on doing the lower part of my Jeep with it as well. I also used it in the tintable with grey coloring to spray the floor of my fishing boat instead of using carpet, the color looks great and it holds up well.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CRLAMBERTJR
I'm thinking about eventually painting my jeep with it. I have a few questions about though, I'm not familiar with it. How does it hold up as far as say tree limbs dragging down the side of it ? Any loss in MPG due to wind drag and resistance? Does the texture trap or hold dirt ? How well does it clean up, car wash wand or hand washed ? Now concerning colors,,, will there be good consistency between cans ? How is coverage of a lighter color over a darker one ? I have always wanted a white XJ with all the black extras ? How would the white do over top of my forest green ? White is white, shouldn't be any variance in color ? Hope you guys have the answers I'm looking for. I'd much rather go this route !!!

Monstalined my motorcycle (99 Triumph 1200) 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. Always a conversation starter at gas stations and everyone tells my they like it too. Haven't used it on my Jeep but some of your questions still apply.

This product is ceramic based so the surface is hard not rubbery yet has flex so it doesn't chip easily. One of the reasons I chose it and so far no rock chips. Also you can somewhat control the texture between bumpy/smooth and pokey/anti-skid like extremely rough sandpaper.

I have yet to leave a mark in it like scratches. Once I hopped on and rolled forward out of the garage and one of the saddle bags scrapped across the chrome side of another bikes turn signal. It left a several inch long scrape. I hit it with Windex and it completely disappeared.

No noticeable loss of speed with the surface. Did the bumpy/smooth on mine. It does have added weight but I didn't notice that either.

Even though the surface is smooth, it's still kinda porous at the micro level. The surface has a matte like appearance not glossy. Edges where the bumps touch each other like mini-valleys will collect dirt first. Normally my bike stays clean with bug guts on the front and light road dust on the back. It cleans up very easily and quickly with Windex and a rag. Haven't pressure washed the bike as its not necessary and its a no no anyways. I did put a shine product on that was some sort of petroleum based. Huge mistake as it got dirty real fast. But still cleaned up easily.

If you go with a color, You will order base cans of the liner and pigments separately. I used two 1 quart kits and noticed no difference in color. You will need at least two coats for near perfect coverage. I did two coats on the bike and there are a couple of pin hole spots not covered only I know about.

My Jeeps paint is still looking good but I wouldn't hesitate at all using Monstaliner on it. I would not worry about scratches as long as I wasn's scrapping up against rocks. Pressure washing would be no concern for me as well. Coat coverage over the green would be good in my opinion based on the thickness of the product.

I used the spray on technique for the bike due to mostly complex curves. It sprays as more of a heavy splatter and goes on quick but there is a downside to that. Uses more product than roll on and the fumes require a respirator. Your Jeep can easily be done with a roller but you have to use a special roller as the product will eat up a standard paint roller. Monstaliner site has all the stuff you need.

... oh and Monstaliner isn't exactly inexpensive but relatively cheaper than a paint job.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!