Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring issue/Engine troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wiring issue/Engine troubles

I'm new to the forum, I've read a lot of the stuff on here and it has helped a bunch but I have a new issue that I haven't been able to find anywhere. Also I'm not super knowledgeable about cars, learning by fixing up the xj. So mine was revimg really high at idle, then when I would drive it would rev really high without any increase in speed. Like getting to 4000 but still going the same speed. Thought it might be a timing issue so I replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs. It didn't fix anything. Well when I was going to fix that I noticed these four wires were completely freyed my buddy tried splicing them back together but that didn't work either. Now it dies everytime I turn it on and don't hold on the gas. The check engine light has been on but once I got a obd2 the CEL was off and no codes. I was just wondering if there's anyway of fixing that without replacing all the engine wiring or if that would even been the issue. Thanks in advance
​​​​
Old 06-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you have vacuum leak. Was installing a front bumper and had a shutoff issue when we removed the cruise control ball. Lots of write ups on resolving. Besides the frayed wires why do you think it's electrical?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:29 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

That makes sense, I replaced my front bumper too and hadn't put that ball back on yet. As far as the wires go maybe it was coincidental but my buddy grabbed the wires right as it was about to stall out and it went back to idling normally then he let go and it stalled. We did that a couple of times