Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MONSTALINER

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: currently running
Default MONSTALINER

Ladies and gentlemen,

I just wanted the Jeep community to be aware of something I came across on my build. We have custom built the inside of my Cherokee country. It was covered in POLYCLASTIC monstaliner. The issue is that the different gallons of this color were different shades, resulting in mismatched colored panels and interior. I ordered three 2 gallon kits at different times. I did not want them sitting around until I was ready to use them. If you have a big project using this stuff, use another product. Also, the rollers started breaking apart after using them for less than a minute. What a nightmare. The color chip they send you is not accurate, as every batch is a different shade. Save yourself a lot of heart ache and use something else.
Attached Thumbnails MONSTALINER-cimg9655.jpg   MONSTALINER-cimg9658.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the heads up!........

Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Year: 1994

Wont buy that now lol thanx
Old 09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

if you could mix them all together in a larger container then pour them back into their original cans... tada one color.

Just a thought
Old 09-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Default Really?

No you can't. I used a total of 6 gallons. (3) 2 gallon kits. Once you open the can, your pot life begins. 2 gallons at the most at one time. You are still stuck with different shades in the different Monstashades. I had no idea that the color I ordered would be different on the batch made. If I ever had to go back and re cover a panel, they would be send a different shade. I cannot honestly mix 6 gallons of Monstaliner at once.

Originally Posted by Hammered
if you could mix them all together in a larger container then pour them back into their original cans... tada one color.

Just a thought
Old 09-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Monstashades

Also, I am doing separate projects that come together into one jeep. The inside (full metal) and the outside completely in Monstaliner. The Monstaliner specific rollers are garbage and broke apart in the paint in very short amount of time using light to medium pressure. I called Magnet Paints and they told me to re sand every thing I just did and repaint it. Really? What really irritates me is that the actual color is not the POLYCLASTIC paint chip that I ordered to make sure that was the correct color for my application. They assured me the paint sample chip is the exact color I would get. With this size of project, I wound up with miss matching shades of the same color. You cannot mix all of the different paint together. Why would they send out paint chips to test if the ultimate product may be different? NEVER AGAIN!! I spent $900.00 to have different shades of POLYCLASTIC.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM

Year: 1999

Your situation must be unique? Maybe they had an issue with a batch of rollers or something. I can't comment on the shades since I've only ever used black, but the rollers they sent me worked extremely well, and never broke apart, not even at the end of the gallon when it was getting tacky.

Lots of people have painted their rides with this stuff with no color issues. I still plan to use 2 gal to do the outside of my jeep. I'll be thinning it down and using smooth rollers so that two gallons should be a good 2 coats. Hope you get it sorted out
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM

Year: 1999

You must of done something wrong or just got some bad tint. I have helped two different people paint their exteriors with monstaliner and both of them turned out great...the rollers did start to fall apart after the first coat, but it came with 2 so it wasn't a big deal. I also plan on painting my rig with it once I get the cash.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Rollers

I actually ordered 2 additional installation kits (rollers, pans, tape etc...) from the start just in case the rollers were not up for the job. I went through 8 on the interior. I followed the instructions, watched the video, and practiced on a separate piece of metal. Light to medium pressure. The first few rolls after working in the liner on the roller were enough to make it come apart. The batch of Monstaliner tint will vary on batch, so they say. I used rattle can spray on bed armor for my bumpers, and it looks 10 times better. Maybe I am always the guy that gets the "bad batch" lol.