Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowered Jeep (pls dont judge)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0 HO
Cool lowered Jeep (pls dont judge)

Okay well first of all I want to say that i do not want negativity on this post. thanks!

So on to what i was going to ask, i am sick and tired of all the kids at my college thinking there cars are so fast bc the can smoke a cherokee lifted 4.5 inches on 33's, or a 94 power stroke lifted 8 inches on 38's. So my idea...I want to find a 2 door, 2 wheels drive XJ, with a 5 speed and upgrade and lower the suspension, ad some low profile racing tires on racing rims. Also i plan on upgrading the engine to push out more horse's.

Now where can i get an suspension upgrade for a XJ, or what do i have to make an upgraded suspension. Also what engine mods can i do to make more power, and what axles and gear rations do you think i should run.

Again, if your going to bash on me for wanting to do this than save your breath and don't commenet, and just so you know this is going to be a project vehicle that i will be doing over a couple years. and yes i do have a lifted XJ that i play around in the mud with! thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Step 1: cut your coils
Step 2: remove a leaf from leaf packs
Step 3: trim fenders or if you're handy cut out larger wheel wells from inside hatch and reweld them
Step 4: Add tires/wheels
Step 5: profit?!?!?!?
Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Dont really have any answer for you...but just wanted the say this is one pretty good idea...im with you on this, i hate friends with little cars bragging about how they can waste my cherokee...unlike you i dont have the money, time, nor ambition to build one that can beat their little cars...i just tell them to wait for the snow to fly, or lets take this to the woods and see who wins the race
Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96

Stroker, supercharger, turbo. I'd say go turbo and intercool it and waste some hondas. I was just saying to my buddy how I want to do this for mad sleeper! Could also put a v8 in. If your good at fab I'd say cut it all the way up to the front seats and close it off lose alot of weight. I'd focus on loosing as much weight as possible power to weight ratio is your friend!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Honestly its not really a hard project.

Cold air intake.
Better exhaust.
Neon injectors.
An edge programmer.

And then to top it all throw a turbo on the 4.0 and wave them good bye.

4:10 gears
Good tires (for traction)
Remove the stock spacer or you can do it the gheto way and heat up the springs.

Remove a leaf from the rear or flip the springs (if you can on the cherokee.)

As for racing them i dont see a problem with wupin up on them my 1997 jeep cherokee is mostly stock other than the muffler and i raced a v6 mustang and a civic and wuped them.

Lets see there cars do this.

The rest will correct me if i am wrong on any of the advice above.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by zkeifer
Stroker, supercharger, turbo. I'd say go turbo and intercool it and waste some hondas. I was just saying to my buddy how I want to do this for mad sleeper! Could also put a v8 in. If your good at fab I'd say cut it all the way up to the front seats and close it off lose alot of weight. I'd focus on loosing as much weight as possible power to weight ratio is your friend!
No need on putting in a v8 the 4.0 has good power just being stock.

My 97 cheroke.
4.0 = 195 hp 235lb torque. (stock)

My 75 k5 blazer

350 v8 = 170 hp 195lb torque (stock)
Old 05-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Borrow one of these and see how quick those kids think they are.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/2...est-jeep-ever/
Other thing is, let them challenge you to a race. Then say ok, but i get to pick the course.....

Last edited by EastBeast; 05-21-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 I6

i hear you,ive always loved the lowrider and still read their magazines.ive owned 64 chevys and a coulpe of blazers that wer all lowered around 2 inches.ive used drop spindles on the front i bought from different places,ive heated coils to drop the front(easy way,bumpy ride)and the rear you can remove leafs or use a drop kit(pretty cheap).going wit the low pro tires i put spacers on so they dont rub underneath and will give you that wider stance.you should be able to order a jeep kit from lowrider magazine or there website.im not going to lower my jeep since i bought it strictly for my hunting/fishing trips,but im looking for a 68 chevelle that will definately be lowered about 2".i have seen pictures of lowered jeeps that look damn good,so keep us posted on your work,id like to see it when your finished.remember,tru lowriders dont burn no gas,we cruise.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

For lowering the suspension: Cut a couple inches off the front coils. Then, get some lowering shackles for the rear leafs. Drop it 3 inches from stock.

Suspension Upgrades:
Get some adjustable dampening rate shocks http://www.jcwhitney.com/agx-shock-absorbers/p2017692.jcwx?filterid=j1&_requestid=2236845

Install all new sway bar end links and bushings and Install new trac bar bushings.

For performance upgrades: Do a teardown/rebuild on the engine. Bore it and make it a 4.6L Stroker. Run some headers and make your exhaust 2.5 inch if it isn't already. Also run a flowmaster 40 for the muffler. As for The intake; swap to the 99-01 intake manifold, Get some dodge neon injectors, get a cold air and route a ram air system to pull cold air in behind the driver's side headlight (take the plastic piece out). Also, bore your throttle body and get an adjustable MAP sensor.

Weight Reduction: Get rid of some of the dead weight in the Jeep. Pull out the interior panels, take off the trailer hitch if it has one, remove the spare tire, get a smaller fuel tank (like the 15 gallon tanks out of YJs).
Old 05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Invest the money on something that's actually supposed to go fast. If you lower the Cherokee, you will still have a pretty high roll center and it still won't handle well. Don't base going fast on BS like v6 mustangs and civics, those are some of the slowest cars on the road. Much better off with like a v6 accord, acura TL, maxima, etc. Those are like civics in that they aren't exactly performance cars, but unlike them all of those cars 2002 and newer will run mid to low 14s quarters stock, and most of them the older models just run high 14s to low 15s stock. The cherokee is "fast" for an SUV, but it's still slow overall and handles like a shopping cart
Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Also, don't ever cut coils, it's plain old stupid. I would share a link for you but I'm on my phone and don't have it. Basically, it's an article written by a race suspension designer about all the reasons why it's a terrible terrible idea.

Judge judge judge judge judge
Old 05-21-2011, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I've seen alot of lowered pickups and it is good lookin. The srt8 comes low. And the stock 4.0 is strong enough to race with
Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

1) I try to not judge - as long as it's done for a specific purpose, instead of being silly (like the 1-ton Dually riding 2" off the ground with scrape plates. Now, that's just being stupid.)

2) If you're going for performance, cutting the springs and pulling leaves is the very last thing you want to do - it screws up your spring rate. To do the lowering bit right is going to take some coin, since the springs (at least!) are going to be one-off jobs. Get coils purpose-wound, get leaf packs purpose-built. You know those ricebois you see that bounce for five minutes after running over a dime? That's because they cut their coils.

3) What's your ultimate goal here - do you want to just smoke them off the line, or do you want to take up for the long haul? A supercharger will give you better torque, a turbocharger is better for high-end horsepower. A nitrous boost gives you user-selectable performance, and may be used with either system of forced induction.

Stroking is a good idea to begin with - you'll need a 258ci crankshaft and rods. If you want to do forced induction, get pistons with a deeper dish (forced induction likes a reduced basic compression ratio, it helps reduce preignition/detonation.) Stroking the engine on its own may be enough, depending on what sort of idiot you want to compete with.

However, when I first bought my 87 (in 1998, with something north of 150Kmiles on the clock,) it was bone stock except for 3" and 31's. I used to play bumper tag with my boss on the way home (he was driving a 30th Anniversary Camaro SS,) and we were effectively evenly matched. He had the better car, but I was the more highly-trained driver (I've taken EVOC three times in three different vehicles - one of them was, oddly, an XJ.) Once I know what a vehicle is capable of, I know where and how to push it to make it do more, and I know what I can get away with before it becomes a problem. Got a V8-500 Caddy? I've taken them down in a pickup. Riceboi with an Acura engine in a Civic? Smoked them with two boys and hocky gear in the back - in a Grand Voyager!

As with nearly anything else more complex than a rock, it's in how you use it - so go learn! I've no trouble taking a pocketknife against a short sword - I've used a short sword, so I know what can be done (I often carry a Scots claymore for formals when in full Highland regalia - and I do know how to use it. There's no point in carrying a weapon if you don't know how to use it - even if you never have to. Ross & MacLeod - kilts in Ross Dress, Ross Hunting, and Black Watch.) The more you learn how to drive, the better you'll drive - and how much training do these asinine kids have?

Never race the quarter. Gimme a road race any day - the 440 is just a matchup of machinery. A full-on road race (and not that wretched oval track stuff that NASCAR does - I'm thinking more like the Cannonball Coast-to-Coast Memorial Trophy Dash here, look it up) is a matchup of the men driving. Yeah, more car can help - if you know how to use it. If you don't know what you're doing, no amount of machinery can help.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

To the OP why don't you just see how far they can follow you through mild mud hole.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by EastBeast
Borrow one of these and see how quick those kids think they are.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/2...est-jeep-ever/
Other thing is, let them challenge you to a race. Then say ok, but i get to pick the course.....
If there was a like button. I would have pressed it.

Quick Reply: lowered Jeep (pls dont judge)