Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting the rear of the hood.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO 4.0
Default Lifting the rear of the hood.

I know I know, USE THE SEARCH BUTTON. already did that, just seeing if anyone knew of any write ups/how to's on the subject. Or if you could just tell me straight up that would be cool too.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Yes, you can use spacers or even washers to raise the back of your hood! Are you looking for a overheating solution or do YOU just want to look COOL??
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

Look cool plus help with heat? Lol
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM

I live in southern California, right now it's about 100 degrees, I could give 2 ****s if it looks cool. Im just tired of blasting my heater in this weather.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by Killabrew
Yes, you can use spacers or even washers to raise the back of your hood! Are you looking for a overheating solution or do YOU just want to look COOL??
it definitely doesnt look "cool". i have it done it keeps the engine a little cooler
Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This subject starts a debate almost every time it's brought up so expect to get some noise on it. Here is a link to a thread that was already done on this. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/hood-spacers-94888/
Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

I think its absolutely hilarious when I see people writing "good way to get decapitated". Yeah, cause having the hood shut is really going to make a difference, right!? I mean, there is no special latch on the back of the hood to keep it there in an accident. Its only raised up a bit, nothing more. So in the event that the bolts broke and the latches broke and the hood DID come through the windshield, I think youre going to be screwed whether youve got your hood jacked up an inch or not. There would have to be multiple failures and a severe front end collision for the "decapitation" theory to actually happen.

As far as looks, it looks stupid. Looks like its off and youre too lazy to fix it. As far as heat escaping/cold air entering, I cant imagine it has THAT much of an effect on engine temps. Maybe a little, but I think the horrible look outweighs the temp drop. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmynolife
I live in southern California, right now it's about 100 degrees, I could give 2 ****s if it looks cool. Im just tired of blasting my heater in this weather.
sounds like you need to fix your cooling system, not lift your hood up. I was just blasting full A/C at 100 degrees outside not long ago, without any problems.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

I did it and hated it. Fogged my windshield up so fast!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bigvig
I think its absolutely hilarious when I see people writing "good way to get decapitated". Yeah, cause having the hood shut is really going to make a difference, right!? I mean, there is no special latch on the back of the hood to keep it there in an accident. Its only raised up a bit, nothing more. So in the event that the bolts broke and the latches broke and the hood DID come through the windshield, I think youre going to be screwed whether youve got your hood jacked up an inch or not. There would have to be multiple failures and a severe front end collision for the "decapitation" theory to actually happen.

As far as looks, it looks stupid. Looks like its off and youre too lazy to fix it. As far as heat escaping/cold air entering, I cant imagine it has THAT much of an effect on engine temps. Maybe a little, but I think the horrible look outweighs the temp drop. lol
performance>looks

Originally Posted by Hoooper
sounds like you need to fix your cooling system, not lift your hood up. I was just blasting full A/C at 100 degrees outside not long ago, without any problems.
I've flushed my system about 3 times with no results, yes i know there is more to it then that but i dont currently own a money tree in my back yard.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

x2
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by jimmynolife
I've flushed my system about 3 times with no results, yes i know there is more to it then that but i dont currently own a money tree in my back yard.

What is your actual issue? You want to drop the temp from 210 to 200 or less, or youre constantly overheating and need to lower the temp?

If you dont have an actual issue and you just want to lower the temp a bit and you think it looks good, dont let anyone stop you. I think a lot of stuff I see on this site looks stupid, but there sure are a lot of people doing the same mod.

Last edited by bigvig; 09-07-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM

I have had a lot of heating issues on the trail so I spaced the back of the hood to allow air to flow. I'm not " crazy" about the way it looks but it makes a huge difference for me. All I did was bought some washers and a 8mm x 30mm bolt. The washers measure 3/4" when stacked so however many it takes for that height. You will most likely need an extra set of hands to hold the hood as you remove and replace things. That's all there it to it.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this to mine, I dont think it looks too horribly bad and I do run a little cooler. The whole getting you head knocked off I don't find to be something that will likely happen, most of us have a lifted jeep putting the hood higher than the back of all cars and a bumper to cover the front end anyway. Just throwing in my 2 pennies
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try some water wetter it will help some.

Quick Reply: Lifting the rear of the hood.