Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default LED fog lights?

I have a '98 XJ, no factory fog lights. I would like to add fog lights, more to see deer than through fog. This area is absolutely infested with them and fog lights can help to see them a little sooner. I don't really want to add the OEM lights, they aren't cheap and I'd really like something with LEDs. Of course, places like Amazon and ebay are full of "LED fog lights", but when you look at most of them they are not technically street legal. I need something I can safely leave on when I pass another car.

Is there a reasonably priced (<$100) set of street legal aftermarket LED fog lights I can buy? Or would those "offroad" lights be legal if they are aimed the way fog lights are supposed to be?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Any yellow fog light mounted under the bumper should be legal most places.If you want above the bumper then you need to look at driving lights which again should be legal but look up your state laws about adding lights.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

In NJ, like Andrew stated there are rules/laws.....basically mounted below a height of 18" and must switch off when "high beams" are selected. Can be on with or without the low beams. They do work best when mounted as close to the ground as possible, which is why under the bumber is the location of choice....anything else is just for show.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by sneeze357
I have a '98 XJ, no factory fog lights. I would like to add fog lights, more to see deer than through fog. This area is absolutely infested with them and fog lights can help to see them a little sooner. I don't really want to add the OEM lights, they aren't cheap and I'd really like something with LEDs. Of course, places like Amazon and ebay are full of "LED fog lights", but when you look at most of them they are not technically street legal. I need something I can safely leave on when I pass another car.

Is there a reasonably priced (<$100) set of street legal aftermarket LED fog lights I can buy? Or would those "offroad" lights be legal if they are aimed the way fog lights are supposed to be?
I pretty sure this is what you don't want to do but I am going to bring it up anyway. Put factory type fogs in my '00 that did not have them. Of course I am trying to retain a factory look.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fac...e-them-220836/