Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping check engine light with autometer gauge cluster? LS swapped xj

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Keeping check engine light with autometer gauge cluster? LS swapped xj

Hey fellas. New here. Picked up a 98 xj with a 5.3/4L60e a while back and finally getting around to doing the full autometer gauge set up. I saw the diagrams that have c1 and c2. I mainly plan to just use the turn signal indicators and check engine lights. I'm not sure which pin/wire I need to tap to get a signal to indicate a check engine light should be on. Hope I made sense, I'm pretty unskilled in electrical. I plan to just put some small led's in my autometer cluster for the turn signals and hopefully CEL.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Jrl3
Hey fellas. New here. Picked up a 98 xj with a 5.3/4L60e a while back and finally getting around to doing the full autometer gauge set up. I saw the diagrams that have c1 and c2. I mainly plan to just use the turn signal indicators and check engine lights. I'm not sure which pin/wire I need to tap to get a signal to indicate a check engine light should be on. Hope I made sense, I'm pretty unskilled in electrical. I plan to just put some small led's in my autometer cluster for the turn signals and hopefully CEL.
As someone who has gone through every single wire in an XJ, you'll likely need to find the corresponding FSM, and get decently well versed in walking yourself through electrical.

That is, unless you get lucky and someone has done it (which in this case might be hard to come by).
Old 02-19-2019, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Jrl3
What ECU are you running? I have pinouts for nearly every LS ECU that I can post up. It should a very simple project to get the CEL working. We do it all the time here at my work.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
What ECU are you running? I have pinouts for nearly every LS ECU that I can post up. It should a very simple project to get the CEL working. We do it all the time here at my work.
^ That right there just became you're way out.

If pinouts and wiring diagrams seem overwhelming, just take time to sit down and read/understand them. They're really nothing more than connect the dots, and just understanding (for the most part) where power should and shouldn't be.